Smoking while taking high blood pressure meds

Canachris

I have just started taking "lopressor" for my high blood pressure and "keppra" an antiseizure medication. i'm curious if anyone knows if smoking cannabis will have any adverse reactions with these meds. The meds are making me light headed and kinda dizzy . Last night I took a couple of tokes of some GG#4 and it helped me feel a bit more normal. But if smoking is not the thing to be doing while on these meds then I won't. I know I should be asking my Dr's these questions but I'm not sure they can relate. I've told my cardiologist that I'm a daily smoker of cannabis and she was cool with my cannabis use for pain she just suggested a different delivery method than smoking. So any input or suggestions or if any of you are dealing with similar issues I'd love to hear how y'all deal with it

I take Tenormin, which is very similar to lopressor, and I have had no ill effects, and it controls my blood pressure quite well. I do get light headed occassionally, but I have a feeling it's the diet I'm on, I've lost 65 lbs in the last 5 months. If your cardiologist is OK with it then I wouldn't worry. Marijuana slightly raises blood pressure, and increases heart rate. Don't know anything about keppra or it's interactions. The light headedness may go away after your body gets used to it.

I have just started taking "lopressor" for my high blood pressure and "keppra" an antiseizure medication. i'm curious if anyone knows if smoking cannabis will have any adverse reactions with these meds. The meds are making me light headed and kinda dizzy . Last night I took a couple of tokes of some GG#4 and it helped me feel a bit more normal. But if smoking is not the thing to be doing while on these meds then I won't. I know I should be asking my Dr's these questions but I'm not sure they can relate. I've told my cardiologist that I'm a daily smoker of cannabis and she was cool with my cannabis use for pain she just suggested a different delivery method than smoking. So any input or suggestions or if any of you are dealing with similar issues I'd love to hear how y'all deal with it
Smoking anything raises blood pressure. You shouldn’t smoke. The thing is, coming to a weed site for medical advice is like going to the library to have new tires put on your motorcycle.

The thing is, coming to a weed site for medical advice is like going to the library to have new tires put on your motorcycle.
While this is true I am reminded that when a group of guys of a certain age get together and sit around the conversation seems to drift into medical situations and what their doctors have prescribed. Same thing happens when women of a certain age get together but the medical situations tend to be different.

I know I should be asking my Dr's these questions but I'm not sure they can relate. I've told my cardiologist that I'm a daily smoker of cannabis and she was cool with my cannabis use for pain she just suggested a different delivery method than smoking.
Of course they can relate. They went to school and then to college and then to a medical school. Over the years they have met people, including other doctors, who take all kinds of mind altering substances from alcohol to opiates. Some of them might have dabbled in one or more themselves in their younger age.

As mentioned smoking anything raises blood pressure; even sitting around a campfire in the evening.

I guess I'm just paranoid. Having started smoking weed at an early age and never making it past the 10th grade I've always felt like I had to hide my drug use from straight people. But over the past six or seven years I own it. I tell my DR's the people I do work for. It feels good to be up front with it. I'm not sure I can stop smoking. it's not that I can't, I've stopped for short periods many times before... I just enjoy it so much. So for now I'm going to keep it to a toke or two just to take the edge off. My daughter has offered to get me some edibles, that should help get me thru until I can have the conversation with my cardiologist.

Having started smoking weed at an early age and never making it past the 10th grade
You write better as in sentence structure and correct spelling than a lot of the people who graduated from the 12 grade.:)

I've always felt like I had to hide my drug use from straight people. But over the past six or seven years I own it. I tell my DR's the people I do work for. It feels good to be up front with it
Something I think has changed in society is that the mundanes (the straight people you mentioned) have started to accept that "a buzz" or "a high" is more acceptable than being buzzed on alcohol or just plain drunk.

I accepted one of my earliest landscaping jobs because the boss on the other side of the interview desk had seed burn holes in the front of his shirt. I was familiar with those small holes and figured that working for the guy might not be all bad. That was in '71 and we ended up hanging out together until his funeral 10 years ago.

@Canachris My Dad has been on lisinopril for his high blood pressure and metformin for his borderline diabetes for at least 15 years. He smokes about as much as I do, which I conservatively and comparatively estimate to be a whole LOT. So far, neither he nor his doctor have noticed any adverse reaction to pot smoking, and Dad swears that it relaxes him. Not giving medical advice here, but based on our family experience, you will be ok.

You write better as in sentence structure and correct spelling than a lot of the people who graduated from the 12 grade.:)

Something I think has changed in society is that the mundanes (the straight people you mentioned) have started to accept that "a buzz" or "a high" is more acceptable than being buzzed on alcohol or just plain drunk.

I accepted one of my earliest landscaping jobs because the boss on the other side of the interview desk had seed burn holes in the front of his shirt. I was familiar with those small holes and figured that working for the guy might not be all bad. That was in '71 and we ended up hanging out together until his funeral 10 years ago.
Thanks, spell check helps out a lot

@Canachris My Dad has been on lisinopril for his high blood pressure and metformin for his borderline diabetes for at least 15 years. He smokes about as much as I do, which I conservatively and comparatively estimate to be a whole LOT. So far, neither he nor his doctor have noticed any adverse reaction to pot smoking, and Dad swears that it relaxes him. Not giving medical advice here, but based on our family experience, you will be ok.
Thanks em, this helps ease my mind

Back
Top Bottom