Soil & nutrients

Divine6265

Hello brothers and sisters I have a question that I know has been asked before but I'm still not quite sure of the answers after reading several posts so I will ask this question again. when using an organic soil like Fox Farm do I still need to add Veg and Bloom nutrients such as Dyno grow?

This is my first real attempt at growing and i was planning on using Kellogg Garden Organics Patio Plus Premium Outdoor Soil with a 1 to 1 mix of vermiculite. I am also planning to use Dyno Gro "Grow and Bloom" nutrients starting at 1 quarter strength. So again my question is does the soil is self contain the nutrients and do I add more or do I not add nutrients that all if I'm using soil specificly Fox Farm Or Kellogg ? Also with this Kellogg brand can I use it for indoor growing even though it says outdoor. I would appreciate any help or answers I can get thank you brothers and sisters.

The soil itself contains nutrients which is why you must watch the pH of the water carefully. Use soil specifically for indoor growing. Also, don't plant seeds in the soil. It is much too "hot" (has too many nutrients) for young seedlings. It will burn them. Start seeds or clones in a light seed starting mix. No nutes at all until the plants are at minimum 2-4 weeks old. There is usually no need unless you see a deficiency. Apply nutes at 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended rate otherwise you risk nute burn and nute lockout. A little goes a long way. Water pH is your most important concern. In Fox Farms soil, I find the plants thrive in the 6.2 - 6.35 pH range.

The soil itself contains nutrients which is why you must watch the pH of the water carefully. Use soil specifically for indoor growing. Also, don't plant seeds in the soil. It is much too "hot" (has too many nutrients) for young seedlings. It will burn them. Start seeds or clones in a light seed starting mix. No nutes at all until the plants are at minimum 2-4 weeks old. There is usually no need unless you see a deficiency. Apply nutes at 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended rate otherwise you risk nute burn and nute lockout. A little goes a long way. Water pH is your most important concern. In Fox Farms soil, I find the plants thrive in the 6.2 - 6.35 pH range.

I plan on germinating my seed in rockwool and transplanting it over to the soil medium 7 to 10 days after germinating. As far as PH levels, my notes say to have the water at 5.5 but i will amend my notes to say 6.0. I will add very little nutrients to the water since you say the soil has nutrients in it are ready. I will start off at a quarter strength or less when the plant is approximately two weeks into the soil setting. my next question is what about during flowering do I need to add a bloom supplement. and what's all of this I'm reading about Cal Mag do I need to add that at all and at what stage of life do I add it?

You will need to add extra nutes eventually once the plants have eaten up the stuff in the soil. It will take awhile though for the plants to do that, but yes buy some extra Veg and Bloom nutes, preferably some Fox Farm nutes just to keep things simple. 5.5 water sounds a little low, as long as it's above 6.2 in the end when added to soil things should be ok. The Cal Mag and other additives are called amendments, just extra things you toss into your feedings that will benefit the plants. For instance, I use Cal Mag for those extra elements, some Silica stuff to improve the strength of the plant's stem, some Fox Farm Big Bloom to cover all the micronutes required of the plant, and finally some other special micronutes that are specifically for use with tap water. Do some reading in here if you ever need something, it is most likely there: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

You will need to add extra nutes eventually once the plants have eaten up the stuff in the soil. It will take awhile though for the plants to do that, but yes buy some extra Veg and Bloom nutes, preferably some Fox Farm nutes just to keep things simple. 5.5 water sounds a little low, as long as it's above 6.2 in the end when added to soil things should be ok. The Cal Mag and other additives are called amendments, just extra things you toss into your feedings that will benefit the plants. For instance, I use Cal Mag for those extra elements, some Silica stuff to improve the strength of the plant's stem, some Fox Farm Big Bloom to cover all the micronutes required of the plant, and finally some other special micronutes that are specifically for use with tap water. Do some reading in here if you ever need something, it is most likely there: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

As far as the water goes, The options for me are distilled water vs tap water is there a real difference? For my pot I will be using a five gallon bucket with lava rocks lining the bottom: do I need PH balance the lava rock like i would the rockwool? Also any opinions on the idea of drilling holes in the 5 gallon bucket to turn it into an Air Pot?

Distilled will be a little better since its free of the minerals within tap water, if you can afford it just used distilled or R/O water.
No idea on the lava rocks, never used them before. I wouldn't waste time with drilling those holes either. The air pot works because of its special design, not just because of the holes. If anything, adding more perlite to the medium would give similar results with much less effort

Distilled will be a little better since its free of the minerals within tap water, if you can afford it just used distilled or R/O water.
No idea on the lava rocks, never used them before. I wouldn't waste time with drilling those holes either. The air pot works because of its special design, not just because of the holes. If anything, adding more perlite to the medium would give similar results with much less effort

Thank you for the info Stealthboat, I believe that I have all the information I need to get started. If you have any additional tips please don't hesitate to share.

Thank you again.

Don't do this.

You do not want to water long term with distilled water. Because it's missing all the trade elements, it can have long term negative affects on the plants. R/O is ok if you can do something with the waste water, buy every gallon of R/0 water produces two gallons of waste water.

Just use tap water. Youncan ignore chlorine. Contrary to popular rumor chlorine will not affect in plants in amounts used in most municipal water systems. If you are worried about chlorine, just keep a five gallon bucket of water full at least a day before use and give the chlorine time to dissipate. Refill after you water and you will always have de-chlorinated water.

Back
Top Bottom