Soil PH Issue Need Experienced Help

rattlerr

I have my female in a 3 Gallon plastic container with a lot of drainage and i added extra Pearl lite to the Fox Farm soil for added drainage. I have been trying to get my PH below 7.0, just today i added 8 Quarts of water with the PH adjusted to 5.5.

For a few hours the PH meter registered at 6.0 than after about 3 - 4 hours the PH went back up to just under 7.0. I would say its very close to 6.9 to 6.8 but even then that is not in the acceptable range needed for optimal growth. The only organic nute i have been using for a few weeks now is Bat Guano 3-10-2.

So can any help point me in the direction i need to fixing the PH Problem??

Thanks In Advance

Hello and good morning rattlerr,

A great way to adjust the PH in soil is with the use of dolomite lime, which can be found in the gardening section of your favorite garden center! Second, Good news! Soil PH is best run between 6.0 and 7.0 optimum being closer to 6.3 to 6.5, which is unlike hydro whee a 5.8 to 6.0 is preferred. My point being that as long as you are keeping your lady below 7.0 you haven't been killing her, although 6.8 - 6.9 is awfully close.

dolomitic lime is best used when put in there when you originaly mix your soil. also dolomitic lime will only bring your ph to a 7 it has a nuetral ph.
if your trying to get the ph down just keep watering with ph adjusted water. you can mix in some dolomitic lime work it into the top couple inches and water it in. not sure how much it helps after the fact though.....one thing you can deffinitly do that will help is go get some dolomtic lime perlite and promix. mix it all up and transplant that girl into a 5 gallon bucket....although 7 is fine for soil. best at like 6.5 but 7 is ok

+3 on the powdered dolomite lime, NOT pellets. Pellets take a couple of months to work.

Lowes is the only place that I've found powdered, locally. The bag is marked 'Ground Dolomite Lime' and is ~$5 for a 40# bag. Read carefully, it is usually right next to the same size bags of the pelletized lime.

DD

im really wondering what the pros do when they have like 10 gals of soilees mix thats got a 5 ph or an 8 or something and they need to adjust. i just repot if theres a prob and i try to keep the ph in check before i even water.

its one thing i cant find info on though, i cant find something that tells me if the water you use is what changes the ph of the soil, or is it stuff in the soil/ soiless mixes that change the ph naturaly over time? any ideas guys gals?

OK sticky, Im not a pro, I only have a few grows under me. But I have been wondering the same things as you.
Well, With my 2 mums, I am currently having PH issues. (to High)
Itschrome has helped me alot with this lately on here, But I did find a nice article On a site late lastnight, I will try and find it and post a link, or the article itself.. I was on about the 50th link from a pro gardening site, and read about soil,and soiless mixes, And ph. according to this, and once again I do not claim to be a pro, it states that soils will fluctuate the ph, now it all depends on the soil, additives that are mixed in, etc. but they will fluctuate on thier own, a small small amount. The water,& or nutes you use will actually have more play in the soil/ soiless mix for ph than the soil itself. At the same time, some mediums like hydroton are suppose to be totally innert, and have no play at all in ph. It also states that if you pre-set the ph in your nutrient/water before you feed, then it should stay at that desired ph range.
Again, this was just what Ive read, & I do not claim to be a pro by anymeans.
I just figure educating yourself with as much info as possible, will help you get over the bumps along the way.
Also, ItsChrome really helped me out on this forum when I started asking about my 2 mums. This forum is still by far the best source of info on mmj Ive found to date.

Can't he just use regular lime to lower ph? That's acidic and organic.

Dolomitic lime is faster acting and has magnesium carbonate which helps maintain necessary magnesium in the soil...:)

and (dolomitic) lime raises ph, not lowers it..

and never use hydrated lime....

im really wondering what the pros do when they have like 10 gals of soilees mix thats got a 5 ph or an 8 or something and they need to adjust. i just repot if theres a prob and i try to keep the ph in check before i even water.

The 'pros' should have the soil already amended with dolomite lime or powdered oyster shell and the problem never arises.

its one thing i cant find info on though, i cant find something that tells me if the water you use is what changes the ph of the soil, or is it stuff in the soil/ soiless mixes that change the ph naturaly over time? any ideas guys gals?

Water will affect the soil pH, but only on a temporary basis, if that. The 'stuff' in the soil is what changes the pH. For example, peat based mixes are usually on the acidic side. In some mixes, fir bark is used as a filler. As this breaks down, it becomes more acidic, lowering the pH even more. FFOF is now using pine bark which is even MORE acidic than fir bark and even a lower pH. pH'ed water isn't going to do much of anything long term for this situation.

Adding lime or the oyster shell (with a pH of 7.0), reacts with the peat/bark and raises, then keeps the pH buffered to ~6.5-6.8. If your soil is well limed and buffered, the pH of the water being added becomes of little importance as the soil will bring it to the proper pH.

I very seldom check the pH of water or nutes going into my soil and just check the runoff every now and then. Lime does get depleted as the plants consume it for the cal/mag.

Hope this helps some. Adding lime to soil mixes is so simple/easy and cheap and prevents pH and cal/mag problems from happening in the first place.

DD

tiger bloom or ph down.
tiger bloom lowers your ph.
but soil/ soiless will still fluctuate.
and make sure your ph meter is 99% acurate. no lowes or home depot meters. theyre crap
i test the run off with color strips same used for a pool.
also the dual tube to test the ph and the chlorine levels for the pool.
the water changes color and then match the color to the chart.

i test the run off with color strips same used for a pool.
also the dual tube to test the ph and the chlorine levels for the pool.
the water changes color and then match the color to the chart.

I find these types of testers to be subjective, at best. There are many good, accurate digital ph meters on the market that I believe are the most important tool in your growroom.....:)

VOTE HERE FOR NUG OF THE MONTH!

If u r running fox farm soil and nutes r u also using kanga root (benneficial bacteria ) and is ur ff soil happy frog? If so there is a large amount of bacteria in that soil because they don't cook there soil or kill everything in it. If so that means there is a very strong chance that ur bacteria like the soil at that ph. Is ur plant healthy and thriving? I use to ph everything and check soil 3 times a day. I added so much shit to the soil it killed 2 of my plants because I read into optimal ph too much. Sometimes it's better to not mess with things. If ur plant shows problem switch to water for a couple feedings. There is tons of mushroom compost in happy frog, the bacteria will fix it for u as long as it isn't extreme like 8+ or -5. This plant is a weed, u know those annoying things in ur driveway u have to pour gasoline on to kill. U have good soil made in humbolt by pot growers for pot growers. Simply water could get the job done. I'm positive someone will disagree with what I said but I slacked and didn't cook the soil I usually use and gave ff happy frog a try. I use a simple worm casting tea alternating with water. These plants r super healthy, idk if it's enough to produce great buds, but they r some of the best indoor vegitative plants I have grown. Zero issues zero burn. I haven't even checked the ph once, I would suggest bumping up the benneficial bacteria and throw those ph pens right out the window. I have never seen a single home and garden show use one for any other plant, so what makes this one so special? It's not needed, u have good soil. Well that's my 2 cents, it's probably only worth a penny but to each there own. :Namaste::Namaste::Namaste:

R u in veg or flower? The 3-10-2 guano is more directed for flower. I used the guanos for a while too. I found the powdered form more effective as it's smaller then pellet size droppings. The pellets sat on top of the soil and I saw an increase in gnats when I foolishly tried those because they were 2$ cheaper then the powdered I used. In my opinion a bag of worm castings, liquid kelp, molasses, and kangaroot pairs exceptionally well with that soil (when it's bubbled for 36hrs). Well what ever u do I wish u luck and hopefully u can show some pics of ur girl soon.

Back
Top Bottom