SoilGuy's LED Indoor Soil Grow, Easy Ryder & Diesel Ryder

Nice little story there SoilGuy!
Just so u know this was one of my favorite micro grows on here,I have came back and read this from the begining many times,its just so well put together...ur setup,although slighty simple,is killer!
I love the look of these strains,there small and can be packed close to each other,so u could prolly maximize the yield just from adding a couple more plants to the mix:)
I think the diesel ryder is my new favorite strain,Iv read lots of good stuff about it and it just looks and sounds killer,anyways I tried + reping you and I cant yet,lol...Ill try later:):nicethread::bravo::welldone::ganjamon:

Hey, what do you guys think of the dark period before harvesting?

Seems like I have read lots of information regarding this strategy including the various time lengths (24,36,48, or 72 hours) and benefits.

an interesting article i found while looking for information regarding dark period before harvesting. doesn't answer the question but still very informative: https://cannabis-science.com/papers/Chemical Ecology of Cannabis.pdf

With only 1 grow under my belt, I don't have much to speak on, but I did it with one plant (S-3), I can't say I noticed a before/after difference with a 36hr dark-out, but the theory seems to make sense. If practical, I'll try to employ the practice with my grows. I am a fan of a 36hr dark prior to flowering as well.

I wonder though, if the dark period (either prior to flowering, or harvest)has an effect on non-photoperiod plants (autos)?

With only 1 grow under my belt, I don't have much to speak on, but I did it with one plant (S-3), I can't say I noticed a before/after difference with a 36hr dark-out, but the theory seems to make sense. If practical, I'll try to employ the practice with my grows. I am a fan of a 36hr dark prior to flowering as well.

I wonder though, if the dark period (either prior to flowering, or harvest)has an effect on non-photoperiod plants (autos)?

Good question endive.. I've been wondering about the darkness before flowering with autos as well. Wonder if anyone here has tried it?

I'm pretty skeptical about any increase in THC. Even the study I quoted made a statement saying that THC testing equipment varies. What might test a certain % through one method will show up a different % with another method.

It does seem that some strains respond better to this than others, mainly Indicas. The White Widow from Europe can go with up to TWO weeks of darkness right before the harvest according to the seed bank/breeder with noticeable increases in potency.

My main reason for the dark period was to stop the photosynthesis and lower the amount of chloryphyll in the plant resulting in a smoother, better tasting smoke. So far this is the only benefit I can confirm across the board for all strains.

I would think that for this reason even auto's could benefit from darkness before the harvest.

However, I don't know about darkness before switching to flower. Genetically, you would think it wouldn't matter to an auto strain but my bet is that it DOES fire up the flowering process. Though I have to say, autos flower pretty quickly on their own :thumb:

Good question endive.. I've been wondering about the darkness before flowering with autos as well. Wonder if anyone here has tried it?

I just may in a week or so, if I'm not into obvious bloom by then.

I'm pretty skeptical about any increase in THC. Even the study I quoted made a statement saying that THC testing equipment varies. What might test a certain % through one method will show up a different % with another method.

I have to agree. I think this (a higher THC %) is based more on emotion than science, but I could be wrong. From an appearance standpoint, there are a couple things at play... Being in darkness (36+hrs), chlorophyll converting light to food to supplement tissue diminishes, thus leaving the plant tissue just slightly shrunken, or withered. This would cause trichomes to appear larger and or more abundant.

On the flip side it it possible to surmise that the a plant in darkness may have a higher average THC % by the same idea that when compared to a similar plant harvested without the dark period, because with the diminished tissue growth is a higher ratio of THC globule "quantity" to plant cellulose.

The basic thought/point/ramble is that any gain in THC percentage would most likely mean a lost in mass.

It does seem that some strains respond better to this than others, mainly Indicas...

Semi related... I played with the thought that Indicas flower sooner than Sativas (12/12 being the happy point), I went with a 13/12 hour lighting (pondered 14/11 but chickened out) and theorize it led to an additional 60 hours of light over the course of the bloom equating to more mass.

Though I have to say, autos flower pretty quickly on their own :thumb:
I believe that of any true descendant of the LowRyder or Williams Wonder genetics. As to some of these new auto varieties on the market, like Blue Mystic, we'll have to see.

As I said though I think I may deploy the 36hr blackout...

I just may in a week or so, if I'm not into obvious bloom by then.

I have to agree. I think this (a higher THC %) is based more on emotion than science, but I could be wrong. From an appearance standpoint, there are a couple things at play... Being in darkness (36+hrs), chlorophyll converting light to food to supplement tissue diminishes, thus leaving the plant tissue just slightly shrunken, or withered. This would cause trichomes to appear larger and or more abundant.

On the flip side it it possible to surmise that the a plant in darkness may have a higher average THC % by the same idea that when compared to a similar plant harvested without the dark period, because with the diminished tissue growth is a higher ratio of THC globule "quantity" to plant cellulose.

The basic thought/point/ramble is that any gain in THC percentage would most likely mean a lost in mass.

Semi related... I played with the thought that Indicas flower sooner than Sativas (12/12 being the happy point), I went with a 13/12 hour lighting (pondered 14/11 but chickened out) and theorize it led to an additional 60 hours of light over the course of the bloom equating to more mass.

I believe that of any true descendant of the LowRyder or Williams Wonder genetics. As to some of these new auto varieties on the market, like Blue Mystic, we'll have to see.

As I said though I think I may deploy the 36hr blackout...

wow very well thought out endive, nice post :goodjob:

Day 83

Drying, Day 1

Diesel Ryder #1
rsz_img_0775.jpg

Diesel Ryder #2
rsz_img_0777.jpg

Easy Ryder #1
rsz_img_07761.jpg

Easy Ryder #2
rsz_img_0774.jpg

Harvest

rsz_img_0787.jpg

My drying and cure method will be the one that comes right off this forums harvest/cure section labeled

CURE ALL CURE - 420 Magazine's Connoisseur Cure - Technique

the section relating to cutting and drying

I use a sharp gardener's pruning shears to cut the plant. I then take all the large fan leaves off, using my thumbnail (and the thumbnails of my friends). I take no more off the plants. The sacred medicine is then hung upside down, using the strong crooks on the plant. When the herb is hung in this way, the buds form into a nice teardrop shape. The temperature in the room is about 65°-75°F, so it stays dry, but not too dry. I give the room seven days, and check a bud to see if the stem snaps. If I think it's getting close, I start manicuring. If it's not dry enough, I wait.

in addition i am trying to keep the humidity between 45%-55%

right now it seems to be at 40%

So cute, I just wanna take her home...

So each plant was one bud pretty much?
They do look very cute,what was the total hight on these plants?
Do u favor growing one strain over the other,or is it to soon to tell?:)

Yup, pretty much one big bud. Though 1 diesel and 1 easy did have lower branches with nugs on them that extended away from the plant but just did not have the space to get away from the main cola. The other 2 did not have much bottom branching at all.

The 3 larger ones were 11-12 inches.

I think it is too early to tell but my guess is that the diesel is a more potent/better smelling/better tasting strain that finishes faster than the easy. To me, that puts it on top.

However...

The yield from the easy's is impressive.

Day 85

Drying Day 3

Group Shot
rsz_img_0788.jpg

Diesel Ryder #1
rsz_img_0789.jpg
rsz_img_0790.jpg
rsz_img_0792.jpg

Easy Ryder #2
rsz_img_0793.jpg
rsz_img_07941.jpg
rsz_img_0795.jpg

Easy Ryder #1
rsz_img_0796.jpg
rsz_img_0797.jpg
rsz_img_0800.jpg

Diesel Ryder #2
rsz_img_08011.jpg
rsz_img_08021.jpg
rsz_img_08031.jpg

Ok SoilGuy,I must say I am way impressed!:)
The buds look amazing,my girl just saw these pics and I showed her the hole grow from start to finish,she loves them!
They do look awesome,ya there small but if small is what u want then these are about as potent and bad ass looking as ur gona get! Lol...again great job on an amazing grow...Im sure I will come back to this one time and time again,just cant get over how perfect they look!:):welldone:

yum yum yum... After this journal i had to try the diesel ryder and now ive got a new girl which im really looking forward to. so thanks for that!

Back
Top Bottom