Spider mites AND powder mildew 20 days from harvest!

Broke Stove

I am having a small issue with mites and mildew real close to my harvest date. I currently am using safer soap spray do combat the mites, and seranade to fight the powder mildew, but I am concerned with spraying the buds so close to harvest....... The mites are not many at all, no webs that I can see. The powder mildew is not so bad now, but I want to treat it before it gets worse.....Should I use these two products this close to harvest, or does someone know a better way??? Thanks to all...... Broke Stove

Re: spider mites AND powder mildew 20 days from harvest!!

Serenade is ok to use close to harvest but it will cause a noticiable decrease in trichome/resin production. It will help keep the PM at bay but until u can control temp and humidity and keep it stable it will keep comming back. This (environmental control) will also help you control mites reproductive cycle. Problem is if u drop the temp into the low 70sF then u can slow the mites reproductive cycle (they multiply like crazy in the mid 80sF). The down side is that powdery mildew does well in humidity over 60% and temps in the low 70sF or lower. If u have mites and PM I'd harvest early. Both are a pain in the ass. If u still wanna try and push it, harvest some early and let some finish so u'll have a better understanding of what to do next time. If the plants that u let finish don't make it, it wasn't a total loss with a partial early harvest. This is what I'd do. Just know that mites and PM can wipe out a crop. Lost one to mites b4 and had a helluva time with PM. Click the Follow My Grow link to see how I handled the PM and how harvest turned out. Good luck bro. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for your input, brother...... My spider mites are not many at all, atleast right now. The powder mildew is also not too bad, and I plan on treating them with serande tonight. I have less than 20 days now untill I plan to harvest.... Still say I should harvest early? Let me know. I live in Southern Oregon, and it is really wet outside these days. Is it okay to leave a very small electric heater in the room during the dark cycle to keep the humidity down? I know that will cause them mites to come back....... The last time I treated the plants with safer spray was 3 days ago and I see litttle to no sign of mites today. Let me know, bro......or anyone else!! Thank you.....Broke Stove

if its not too bad then keep going....but I would harvest early

Thanks for your input, brother...... My spider mites are not many at all, atleast right now. The powder mildew is also not too bad, and I plan on treating them with serande tonight. I have less than 20 days now untill I plan to harvest.... Still say I should harvest early? Let me know. I live in Southern Oregon, and it is really wet outside these days. Is it okay to leave a very small electric heater in the room during the dark cycle to keep the humidity down? I know that will cause them mites to come back....... The last time I treated the plants with safer spray was 3 days ago and I see litttle to no sign of mites today. Let me know, bro......or anyone else!! Thank you.....Broke Stove

The heat will help keep ur humidity down when lights go out I belive which will help keep th PM from spreading. High temps in the day with low-moderate relative humidty and low temps at nite (lights out) with high humidity promotes powdery mildew. The down side is that it the when the lights go out and temps drop the mites aren't gonna be that active (in cooler temps), with the heater on guess what? Its spring time for the mites and they will be fuckin like rabbits. Consequently all that lovin builds an appetite (if they're anything like people) and ur prized plants are on the menu. I recently read that they are nocturnal. I'm not completely convinced of this because I've seen them quite active in the day time. I say harvest part of ur crop early as insurance. If sugar turns to shit it won't be a total loss. Ultimatley the decision is urs. Obviously others will have other opinions. I'd take the advice of the growers whose skills are most evident or at least have something to show other than a bunch of posts. PitViper is an excellent resource. Also ask people to explain their answers if ur unclear y they prefer one method over another. Anything else just ask.

Thank you both for your input. I just do not know yet. I will treat with seranade tonight at 9pm when the lights come on. Wait a couple more days and then decide from there. I am just torn because although I am a new grower, I have encountered this before. This happened to my last two harvests, and that is when I was turned on to the safer insect killing soap, and the serande. Both of those seemed to help out the problems, and not to brag at all, but I live in an area where weed is very much around, and my small circle says they cannot find better smoke around here. My original question was should I use these two products 20 days before I harvest to keep my very small problem from getting to be a very large problem. I was and am unsure about spraying the buds when they are so big and dense. I am growing Black Domina and Jack Herer, and the Jack Herer seems to be the plants that are most infected. Does anyone know anything regarding that? Thanks for the input.....this site is great!!!------Broke Stove

U wanna avoid spraying the buds at all costs. U didn't do all of this work to have to deal with bud rot at the very end, especially if u got dense buds. Dense buds/foliage around buds hold moisture which in turn promotes various types of fungi.

OK bro, you are starting to convince me. My final question to you is this.... what/how much would I loose by harvesting 20 days early, and I guess one more Question, shouldent I flush them first? Thanks..... Broke.:thanks:

Normally u'd wanna flush b4 harvest, but when harvesting early ur cutting ur loses so flushing isn't a priority, harvesting b4 more damage is done is now the priority. Its really up to u. Honestly its hard to say how much u'd loose. The last 2 weeks buds pack on more weight and kick out more trichomes (at least this has been my experience). In these types of situations u have to make these decisions based upon ur experience/knowledge base and ur goals. I look at it like this havesting early b4 u actually see PM on the buds, u still got smoke. If it was harvested to early then u can still make hash/concentrates, butter/oil, etc. If overun with mold I don't think u'll make it thru curing. I've been told that buds cured with PM give off an amonia type of odor. That's bad for patients and/or business, not to mention an unhealthy smoke. Now if this is just head stash do what u feel and learn from any misakes made. I grew a head stash with PM and smoked it against plenty of peoples advice and I'm fine (for now). Thing is I like to see growers develop good growing habits, so I'd advise against it as I was. That's my 2 cents.

Thank you. I will let you know what happened, good bad , or ugly. Your advice already has me thinking, and that is s start.

I have harvested the 4 plants that were infected with PM. These four plants are a different strain than the rest of what is in my room. I treated the others with safer spray for the mites, and I am going to let them go alittle longer and see whats what.

Right on. The pics I have posted so far have been from my cell phone camera, so very low quality. I will be getting a better camera sometime soonish. Do you know anything about black domina, original jack herer, or blueberry, as far as finishing times? The blueberry plants were the ones with PM, but the domina seems to be doing just fine, as usual. It seems almost totally resistant to any problems at all, witch is another reason why I did not want to harvest everything so early....... I have been getting different feedback on the finishing times of my strains.............Thanks 4 everything

For strain specific info check here>Seeds, Clones & Strains - 420 Magazine. If u don't find anything now, when u do please add what u find to the link provided. This way we continue to build these forums and keep things organized and easy to find if we or others need the info later.

Right on. The pics I have posted so far have been from my cell phone camera, so very low quality. I will be getting a better camera sometime soonish. Do you know anything about black domina, original jack herer, or blueberry, as far as finishing times? The blueberry plants were the ones with PM, but the domina seems to be doing just fine, as usual. It seems almost totally resistant to any problems at all, witch is another reason why I did not want to harvest everything so early....... I have been getting different feedback on the finishing times of my strains.............Thanks 4 everything

Hey BS , always try to avoid spraying your buds with anything. There's an organic mite killer called Bang! that you could use. But if you do have to spray when you have nice buds make sure you do it before lights out or your buds will fry crispy if you do it early in the day! Make sure you have a fan on them for good circulation or you could get bud mold. I don't agree with the harvesting some or all that early. Only because mites are ferocious if you have them, by the time you catch them they are every where. Just try to contain as much as possible. Don't forget to spray five days later as the eggs hatch then. Take them as far as you could get them before the mites tag you out ...I bet they'll be close to being ready.....then I would hose the room down or move...LOL

Bang! Didn't work as well as other products did for me. The crop I tried to save with bang I think I lost it. Try azamax, been hearing lots of good stuff. Have some personally but haven't had to use it. I believe its OMNI certified. Azatrol works well as does neem oil. The important thing is following up 5-7 days later to kill the hatchlings. These sprays don't kill eggs.

Bang! Didn't work as well as other products did for me. The crop I tried to save with bang I think I lost it. Try azamax, been hearing lots of good stuff. Have some personally but haven't had to use it. I believe its OMNI certified. Azatrol works well as does neem oil. The important thing is following up 5-7 days later to kill the hatchlings. These sprays don't kill eggs.

azamax organic? it's why I tried the bang...smells like shit but you're not spraying buds with a bunch of shit! if they were in veg then it would be a different story. Sorry I didn't catch the mildew issue in the title as that's another whole pain in the ass...LOL..they have a ban on pesticdes here too!

Back
Top Bottom