Spider mites in flower!

i gotta say,, if things are to the point of noticeable webs,, then the issue has evolved into a serious problem. you did not say how far into flower, but if very early, then perhaps a chance of salvage, or continuing on at least,, if far into flower,, i would indeed be concerned, and perhaps i might consider harvesting now and cleaning up as best i could.

i use, or used now,, i have won the mite battle,, a spray of 1/1 iso alcohol and water,, well into flower,, but obviously, the further into flower the more one is concerned about spraying alcohol one ones buds

karma sent friend

i gotta say,, if things are to the point of noticeable webs,, then the issue has evolved into a serious problem. you did not say how far into flower, but if very early, then perhaps a chance of salvage, or continuing on at least,, if far into flower,, i would indeed be concerned, and perhaps i might consider harvesting now and cleaning up as best i could.

i use, or used now,, i have won the mite battle,, a spray of 1/1 iso alcohol and water,, well into flower,, but obviously, the further into flower the more one is concerned about spraying alcohol one ones buds

karma sent friend
Thanks — I’m nearly 7 weeks since flip. I’ve picked off the tiny webs I saw and then vacuumed off the buds for good measure.

If I keep on top of it in this way, why would the effects still be disastrous? I feel like the bud should still be fine as long as I keep suppressing the population to keep it at a minimum level.

In any case, I’m not sure why this is such a recurrent problem in my indoor grows. I mostly do outdoor but occasionally stick something in a tent for shits and giggles.

My wife does have a bunch of houseplants, but they don’t appear to have the problem. I feel like the lack of beneficial predatory insects might be the issue as well, since I haven’t had spider mites outdoors.

ya,, give er and keep at it,, you can salvage,, smoke a mite or a million,, i done it lots,, science will see the practice as beneficial in the future,, i know it

i bet i can tell ya where you get the mites from, near guaranteed,, i could be wrong,, was once,, but i bet you grow in soil,, i never looked and i'm not gonna.

i changed to hempy and finally ridded meself of mites, after years of battle

possibly the peat moss if you use some

for sure a bud wash after harvest and think of something to put in the wash to possibly kill the survivors,, but one just plain never gets em all,, the sons/daughters a bi**hes

more karma sent friend

Yep, I do grow in soil. So you’re saying that’s how they get imported, huh? I suppose that makes sense. Do you think the relatively cramped size of my tent could have something to do with it?

nope,, you simply keep reinvigorating the supply of mites. i had irregular infestations of other bugs as well,, all from the soil or peat moss,, infestation would just show up,, outa the blue,,

what else could it be??

anyway,, i went hempy and finally got mite free, tho took forever. i run perpetual and two small flower area so was a constant battle

now my battle is powdery mildew,, a constant battle,, but i manage it,, no cure yet,, tho i look every day

cheers friend,, karma sent

one more thing,, i bet you get two spotted mites,, like i did,, and round my house,, we have mites,, but not that kind,, and i never get the kind we have outside,, inside

i have been told that peat moss is the most likely culprit, but not the only culprit

but yes,, cramped quarters compound the problem, indeed

nope,, you simply keep reinvigorating the supply of mites. i had irregular infestations of other bugs as well,, all from the soil or peat moss,, infestation would just show up,, outa the blue,,

what else could it be??

anyway,, i went hempy and finally got mite free, tho took forever. i run perpetual and two small flower area so was a constant battle

now my battle is powdery mildew,, a constant battle,, but i manage it,, no cure yet,, tho i look every day

cheers friend,, karma sent

one more thing,, i bet you get two spotted mites,, like i did,, and round my house,, we have mites,, but not that kind,, and i never get the kind we have outside,, inside

i have been told that peat moss is the most likely culprit, but not the only culprit

but yes,, cramped quarters compound the problem, indeed
Thanks for bringing that to my attention — it never occurred to me that could be the source.

However, I won’t be making the switch to another soil medium because I’m primarily an outdoor guy and I haven’t had an issue with spider mites once the plants are in the ground.

Similarly, I haven’t had a big problem with powdery mildew outdoors, other than one specific cultivar. I’ve found that certain strains are more resistant to powdery mildew than others, so have been selecting for plants that don’t have a problem with it.

That’s part of the reason I’ve been doing my own breeding — trying to encourage traits that are important for my specific conditions. Although it’d be great to create the next Blueberry, gradual improvement is probably more realistic.

smoke a mite or a million,, i done it lots,, science will see the practice as beneficial in the future,, i know it
Thank you for sacrificing you body to science :rofl: you remind me of Bill Hader in the opener for Pineapple Express. For Science! Haha

I do agree it's too late for neem and that bud washing is a must no matter what is done. Honestly I thought the practice (bud washing) was ridiculous until I actually did it and found nothing wrong with it. (I also like the low and slow drying method) I have seen a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution used to combat spider mites. Just keep on top of them for now @Grandma Weedstein until harvest. Although if you plan on continuing using a soil based media and have had mite issues in the past, I would look into buying some natural predators to give you an assist. I also saw some postings earlier this week about burning sulfur to combat pests and powdery mildew (not such a pleasant odor for the home though).

Thank you for sacrificing you body to science :rofl: you remind me of Bill Hader in the opener for Pineapple Express. For Science! Haha

I do agree it's too late for neem and that bud washing is a must no matter what is done. Honestly I thought the practice (bud washing) was ridiculous until I actually did it and found nothing wrong with it. (I also like the low and slow drying method) I have seen a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution used to combat spider mites. Just keep on top of them for now @Grandma Weedstein until harvest. Although if you plan on continuing using a soil based media and have had mite issues in the past, I would look into buying some natural predators to give you an assist. I also saw some postings earlier this week about burning sulfur to combat pests and powdery mildew (not such a pleasant odor for the home though).
Can you direct me to a link on bud washing? I don’t really get it but am open to the possibility. Can I do it now to wash off the mites? Will it hurt the trichomes?

I am a simple outdoor guy who usually just lets nature do the work, but I get the urge to throw something in the tent under 12/12 every now and again.

Funny because I basically grow indoor until danger of frost is gone, but indoor growing for flower is definitely its own thing compared to that.

So I’ve had spider mites before and treated them with pyrethrin when the plant wasn’t in flower. But now I noticed tiny webs on the apical bud. Any advice?
Now that you know you have spider mites around.Next plant cycle wash both sides of leaves regularly to keep them at bay.Hand pressure washer works for me.

For science, eh.;)

The US Department of Agriculture has an allowable limit for insects, maggots, hair and insect parts per can and per package of frozen or dried foods. The amount of mites that might be smoked probably falls well inside the acceptable limits. Plus, if the bud is rolled up or put in a bowl then the heat (approx 700 degrees F from the smoking process burns up a whole lot more than the heat from the canning process destroys (about 300 degrees because the pressure canning process allows temps to get higher than boiling).

If you got 'em, light 'em up.;)

Just do WHATEVER you need to do to make sure they are all gone. Your full grown plants may limp through this and give you an acceptable harvest, but the next plants will take the real hit. Nothing more disheartening than seeing a clone or a seedling ravaged by mites. So disinfect, sanitize, bomb, dust and dehumidify...and then still treat the next plants like they are infested. If you see webs, they are really dug in to your grow space. Get them all or they will get you again.

Just do WHATEVER you need to do to make sure they are all gone. Your full grown plants may limp through this and give you an acceptable harvest, but the next plants will take the real hit. Nothing more disheartening than seeing a clone or a seedling ravaged by mites. So disinfect, sanitize, bomb, dust and dehumidify...and then still treat the next plants like they are infested. If you see webs, they are really dug in to your grow space. Get them all or they will get you again.
What do you recommend I use to clean the tent?

bleach solution

What do you recommend I use to clean the tent?
Clean it like you were trying to get a virus off of it. Hot water, bleach or some kind of industrial soap (not both) and dry it in the hot sun (up off the ground). Clean the area the tent was in just as well.
I use flea foggers to do the space while the tent is out being cleaned. Flea foggers have growth inhibitors so the bugs that do make it through the permethrin won’t reach sexual maturity. Mites hide everywhere, so remember just wiping or vacuuming things won’t get them. It only takes a few to infest a room. It’s one of the few times where I’ll break out real poison. Just don’t ever fog with live plants (or anything else) in the room.

Clean it like you were trying to get a virus off of it. Hot water, bleach or some kind of industrial soap (not both) and dry it in the hot sun (up off the ground). Clean the area the tent was in just as well.
I use flea foggers to do the space while the tent is out being cleaned. Flea foggers have growth inhibitors so the bugs that do make it through the permethrin won’t reach sexual maturity. Mites hide everywhere, so remember just wiping or vacuuming things won’t get them. It only takes a few to infest a room. It’s one of the few times where I’ll break out real poison. Just don’t ever fog with live plants (or anything else) in the room.
How long do the spider mites stay alive without a plant to live on? I didn’t use this tent for a year, then cleaned it thoroughly. The mites didn’t appear until nearly 7 weeks after flip. Makes me think they came from elsewhere, not the tent.

How long do the spider mites stay alive without a plant to live on? I didn’t use this tent for a year, then cleaned it thoroughly. The mites didn’t appear until nearly 7 weeks after flip. Makes me think they came from elsewhere, not the tent.
They will stay dormant for a while, but that seems like it would be more than long enough to kill them off.
If it’s not from another plant that was brought inside, they likely traveled in on clothing/shoes, or maybe even a pet? So tiny and menacing and it just takes one female mite to start a colony. The important part is that you found them and can now eliminate them and prevent them in the future.

Back
Top Bottom