Starting seed in a 5 gallon container?

slipknot420

Me and my boy have been having a debate over whether or not its a good idea to start a seed in a large pot so you wouldn't have to worry about transplanting. Any draw backs to this or benefits? We would appreciate any input.

as far asi remember from working in the greenhouse the only thing we started or planted in larger containers was flower and specialty corm s and tulip bulbs every thing else we started in flats and occasionally in 2 or 4 inch pots for real tender and finicky seedlings
i wouldn't start in a 5 gal with seed for watering
temp reasons primarily plus space and carry etc for me

watering 5 gal container of soil would have to be kept too wet for seed not to rot you want the proper amount of moisture in the top 2 inches of your pot make sense

temp germination temps you'd have to keep all of the bucket of dirt at germ temp [72% -- 85/90 % depends on seeds type]
making sense suggest 4 inch square pots they can be grouped in rectasgular trays easily about 9 pots will fit in a square foot a mirco grower could try this as a square foot garden am thinking of it for stealth reasons.....in future

have you read any of the tutorials and links at the beging of the grow forum menues.... that will answer a lot of newby questions

WHATS UP MAN!!!!!

hey, i have a grow here under my name "happiehippie" that I almost started from seed....I started them in 4"rockwool and when they popped threw I put them in "water farm" self watering buckets.

zolar has your answere though.....youll get lots of good info here........PIECE

WHATS UP MAN!!!!!

hey, i have a grow here under my name "happiehippie" that I almost started from seed....I started them in 4"rockwool and when they popped threw I put them in "water farm" self watering buckets.

zolar has your answere though.....youll get lots of good info here........PIECE
thanks bro much appriciated

I put a seedling straight into a large pot to skip transplanting.
The plant was totally stunted. It stayed 4", while the ones I transplanted grew well over a foot. It was like a cannabis bonzi tree! :p
I ended up throwing it out. It's root structure was a single long thin string.
So, I would recommend transplanting.
I go from 2" rockwool, to solo cup, to 1 quart pots, to final large pot.

Back
Top Bottom