Stealth - Soil - HID - Smart Pot - SCROG - GDP - First Grow

Re: Stealth, Soil, HID, Smart Pot, SCROG, GDP - First Grow

GF,
Very nice, glad it turned out well for you. You were right on it, never a doubt in my mind:thumb:
It's really been great watching, good luck with your mods and thanks a bunch for the show!
peace,
an old gardener

With all that "A" bud maybe you change your username to A'sFan24???? lol...

Congratulations on the haul. Looking forward to next time.

Oh and I have some very interesting results on limiting stretch. Trim off almost all the fan leaves right before 12/12 and the plants basically sit still then bud without an size increase. So when you are looking to keep it smaller, maybe not cut out Jess the next time because things are not getting tight...

ltr.

Interesting post McCrackin. I've been coming to the same conclusion about fans leaves during flower, when you strip them the plant stops growing. It probably impacts root development as well. It's an awesome technique to have at our disposal. I started out stripping them to get better light to the buds, but this has been a very interesting side effect.

In my experience it's not like they slowly stop either. When you strip them that's how big the plant's gonna get.

I'd be real interested in any other thoughts you've got on this... thanks bro :tokin:

NOT BAD??? That's awesome!!! :rofl:

Seems like yesterday we watched those girls go in the soil... Now they're going in the vaporizor :)

This was a great grow brother and I can't wait til the next one. I hope you stick around during your time off from growing, it's a pleasure to have you around.

Namaste my friend.

Yeah I'm pretty pleased actually. I still haven't tried Dorothy but had a little bit of Jess in my one hitter while mowing the lawn yesterday. I was high most of the evening.

I like smoking my own...it's cleaner than what you can get in the dispensary.

I agree GF! Great grow and journal and you're a great presence on this forum :bravo:

Hope your off time includes more than a few days at the old ballpark, I was there 2 years ago it's a beautiful place and we kicked your butts 2 out of 3 :woohoo:

Take care bro!

Ummmm...yeah..don't get used to it. We won the world series with this team last year except Tejada of course and we've been on the road 16 of 19 games. It's too early in the season to be this tired!!

Repeating?? I'd be happy with and NLDS wine..they get a free pass this year. Lots to refine..who's your team??

With all that "A" bud maybe you change your username to A'sFan24???? lol...

Congratulations on the haul. Looking forward to next time.

Oh and I have some very interesting results on limiting stretch. Trim off almost all the fan leaves right before 12/12 and the plants basically sit still then bud without an size increase. So when you are looking to keep it smaller, maybe not cut out Jess the next time because things are not getting tight...

ltr.

You know, I noticed that completely. When I trimmed growth slowed way down. In my case, I think it effected the buds. I think they may have been fatter if I had let it go but that said, I had to trim to control PM.

I like what 420fied has going on...if you're going for those type of results, I think thats the way to go.

Hey GF Congrats on the grow, weights, and your outstanding journal. Send me a message when and if you start a new journal. Thanks.

I will Placer..we should get together and compare harvests!!

GF,
Very nice, glad it turned out well for you. You were right on it, never a doubt in my mind:thumb:
It's really been great watching, good luck with your mods and thanks a bunch for the show!
peace,
an old gardener

Thanks OG..I appreciate it. Next grow will be much better. I would like to target a goal of 6 zips of tops from the next grow. It's a challenge I'm up for :thumb:

Again...thank all of you who have been so instrumental in the success of this grow.

:Namaste:

Congrats on a great grow!! looking forward to the next one :)

Thanks my brotha...It'll be sooner than I think!!

Hey blue!!

Do you think if I water cured my leaves that it would cut down on the smell of making oil or butter??

Hey Giantsfan - First of all, congrats on a great harvest! :thumb:

Not sure about watercuring as I've never done it (yet). However, I think a lot depends on what kind of edibles you want to make. I use trim shake for making brownies, and I don't water cure them first. Brownies do a great job of complimenting/masking the odor/flavor, and the brownies I've made get rave reviews for being some of the tastiest brownies regardless of whether they are "magic" brownies. I think you just need to do it right - don't put any of the shake/trim/bud into your mix, strain it first so it's just the activated tricomes that are in the oil/butter. Many people actually put the actual bud/trim into their edibles (yuck!) and then you're chewing weed. The process is a bit smelly (I personally like the smell) but the result is just a hint of yummy flavor/taste from your herb. You may want to try the water cure thing, or try different edibles, but I guarantee you'll like these brownies:

Simple Brownies with oil

If you decide to try it and have any questions -- hit me up! Again, congrats brother on a great grow and harvest. :welldone:

Great recipe xlr8! I'm with you on not putting plant matter in goodies, I hate edibles that taste like bong water (Insert puke smiley here). I want to try your method when I get the chance :thumb:. Have you noticed a difference in flavor between grinding up the weed and leaving it in big pieces before using the double boiler?

Giants, I have seen this excerpt posted around here and several other sites by Ed Rosenthal

Another method - from Ed Rosenthal
Water Cure
Unlike other curing methods, the water cure is performed after the marijuana is dried. Powder and small pieces are most often used, but the cure also works with whole colas. The material is piled loosely in a glass or ceramic pot which is filled with luke-warm water. (When hot water is used, some of the THC is released in oils, which escape and float to the top of the water.) Within a few hours many of the non-psychoactive water-soluble substances dissolve. An occasional gentle stirring speeds the process. The water is changed and the process repeated. Then the grass is dried again for smoking.
THC is not water-soluble; so it remains on the plant when it is soaked. By eliminating water-soluble substances (pigments, proteins, sugars, and some resins), which may make up 25 percent of the plant material by weight, this cure may increase the concentration of THC by up to a third.
Marijuana cured by this method has a dark, almost black colour, and looks twisted and curled, something like tea leaves. The water cure is frequently used to cure dried fan leaves and poor-quality grass.

Seeing how much of the Chlorophyll and other stuff is removed by water curing I would imagine that the taste would be improved... I'll let you know soon. And if not, now we can use xlr8's recipe and we're good either way :)

Great recipe xlr8! I'm with you on not putting plant matter in goodies, I hate edibles that taste like bong water (Insert puke smiley here). I want to try your method when I get the chance :thumb:. Have you noticed a difference in flavor between grinding up the weed and leaving it in big pieces before using the double boiler?

Giants, I have seen this excerpt posted around here and several other sites by Ed Rosenthal

Seeing how much of the Chlorophyll and other stuff is removed by water curing I would imagine that the taste would be improved... I'll let you know soon. And if not, now we can use xlr8's recipe and we're good either way :)

I dry it good in the oven (see my link above), and then grind it up into as fine of powder as I can - then I put the powdery goodness into the oil in the double boiler. I recently added the step of drying good in the oven first, and I'd say the batch I did with this added step was twice as strong as without it, fwiw...

So glad you liked the link. I shared my last brownies with friends and they were blown away by the flavor and the high. (So was I!). Edibles freaking rock!

Thanks for the kind words, Dime. The first couple of years I was a member of this site, I soaked up and "took" a lot from this site as far as learning to grow, and so many other things. I did do a (half-assed) journal my first grow in '09, but mostly lurked and chimed in once in a while. I've become a big fan of Karma, and since then I've been trying really hard to give back to the community here that has given so much to me. To that end, I hope you guys get a chance to make some of these brownies sometime and that they are as good or better for you as they were for me. I feel really blessed to have so many friends on this site now, and it's so cool that I'm "getting" so much more now that I'm trying to "give" more than "receive" from the 420 community. I've been learning so much from all of you, and it'd be awesome if this recipe or something else I contribute helps somebody like you've all helped me. :)

Thanks my brotha...It'll be sooner than I think!!

Hey blue!!

Do you think if I water cured my leaves that it would cut down on the smell of making oil or butter??

Hey GF! It would definitely do so, I think that's the way to go for your edibles.

If you do it let us know how it works out for you... :peace:

Sorry I didn't see all the following posts, and I've never made or had any edibles, so I defer to the experts.

One other thing, I'd read that article before and he says to dry the buds and then do the water cure, which I didn't understand but did it that way the first time. Doing it the way dime did, straight off the plant and into the water, works exactly the same as best I can tell. It also saves about a week and it would be totally impractical to let your moldy pot sit there drying for a week before you did something about it.

Hey GF! It would definitely do so, I think that's the way to go for your edibles.

If you do it let us know how it works out for you... :peace:

Sorry I didn't see all the following posts, and I've never made or had any edibles, so I defer to the experts.

One other thing, I'd read that article before and he says to dry the buds and then do the water cure, which I didn't understand but did it that way the first time. Doing it the way dime did, straight off the plant and into the water, works exactly the same as best I can tell. It also saves about a week and it would be totally impractical to let your moldy pot sit there drying for a week before you did something about it.

Blue, I think the idea of water curing meds to be used for cooking is probably a great one as I can imagine a lot of edibles not blending well with bud flavor in them. (One reason brownies are so popular is that the flavor works well with the herb). You have no idea how helpful I'm finding your experience with water curing - I hope to not need the info (except for maybe edibles), but it sure is good to have in the tool-belt.

Geez guys!! Thanks so much for the knowledge. I'm going to do that with the leaf trim starting today...I need a good oil/butter recipe but I think I've read enough to muddle through it....

Geez guys!! Thanks so much for the knowledge. I'm going to do that with the leaf trim starting today...I need a good oil/butter recipe but I think I've read enough to muddle through it....

Quixilvir shared a great budder method. It's on pg 9, post #126 of his journal.

:peacetwo:

Ah yes, edibles....moderation is the key....too much can be too much....still my preferred method for pain relief.

Here is how I make mine, the difference is that I use water also, which helps rinse the waxes and other hempy tastes out of the final product.

1st, put 2-3 cups water into a 2 quart crock pot.
2nd, add 2/3 to a pound of unsalted real butter. (depends on your recipe)
3rd Grind 1/4-1/2z dried bud of good trim with a coffee grinder and add to melted butter/water mix in the crock pot.
4th Simmer for 12 hours or overnight.
5th Strain through a re-usable coffee filter into a tall cylinder type glass that can handle hot water.
6th Rinse strained bud with more hot water, and repeat again.
7th Let everything settle and cool, then put into fridge for several hours or overnight and let the butter turn solid on top of the water.
8th Remove the butter plug and discard the stinky water.
9th Repeat the hot rinse again if needed. (Melt butter in hot water, chill, seperate and drain)

You will be left with a pretty clean tasting butter with plenty of kick.
Makes a great butter ganache for chocolate truffles.......or just use in cookies etc.
I try to make it work out to .05-.10 gram per treat, so you can eat 1 for a light pain killer, more if desired.
OG

Ah yes, edibles....moderation is the key....too much can be too much....still my preferred method for pain relief.

Here is how I make mine, the difference is that I use water also, which helps rinse the waxes and other hempy tastes out of the final product.

1st, put 2-3 cups water into a 2 quart crock pot.
2nd, add 2/3 to a pound of unsalted real butter. (depends on your recipe)
3rd Grind 1/4-1/2z dried bud of good trim with a coffee grinder and add to melted butter/water mix in the crock pot.
4th Simmer for 12 hours or overnight.
5th Strain through a re-usable coffee filter into a tall cylinder type glass that can handle hot water.
6th Rinse strained bud with more hot water, and repeat again.
7th Let everything settle and cool, then put into fridge for several hours or overnight and let the butter turn solid on top of the water.
8th Remove the butter plug and discard the stinky water.
9th Repeat the hot rinse again if needed. (Melt butter in hot water, chill, seperate and drain)

You will be left with a pretty clean tasting butter with plenty of kick.
Makes a great butter ganache for chocolate truffles.......or just use in cookies etc.
I try to make it work out to .05-.10 gram per treat, so you can eat 1 for a light pain killer, more if desired.
OG

Thank you my brotha!

Just what I wanted to see.. :thumb:

Hey, glad you folks liked it:)
A few things I'll add.....
I always err on the side of a little lighter....it's a lot easier to eat a couple more cookies if you want.... than to curl up and pray for it all to end.....and I know a couple of pretty hard core MMJ patiants who swear they will never try edibles again after some grower thought "a little is good, more must be better" and made super brownies.
And nobody wants to eat just 1 cookie or one brownie anyway.

When I say I try to make it equal .05-.10 gram per treat, I mean based on the original weight of good bud.
If using shake, I use 1z per pound of butter and sample to decide the final ratio.

I use 1/4-1/2oz bud to make about 170 cookies=.04 -.08gm per cookie... so 1 cookie for light pain and 2-3 for more relief...no power tools or machinery....4 becomes entertaining with eyes closed before sleep.

For a chocolate truffle mix 1/3 c-butter 1/3 dark chocolate and 1/3 fruit jam or other similar flavor. Chill and scoop or or mold and coat with chocolate or your favorite coating. About 2-3 gms filling is about right.

Hope this helps,
peace,
an old gardener

Hey Giants!! Man, I've been slacking on my reading, been super busy with a few things. Gotta get caught up still, but wanted to let you know that I just did a pound of butter recently, and have found a few good recipies to use it in...Had 2 snickerdoodle cookies tonight that I made 2 days ago, and I gotta tell you it's the perfect high....Good luck on yours, pg. 9 in my journal, I pretty much laid out the basics of how I made it if you need any Ideas. Got most of my info from this thread, CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps! and its super simple!!

Hey Giants!! Man, I've been slacking on my reading, been super busy with a few things. Gotta get caught up still, but wanted to let you know that I just did a pound of butter recently, and have found a few good recipies to use it in...Had 2 snickerdoodle cookies tonight that I made 2 days ago, and I gotta tell you it's the perfect high....Good luck on yours, pg. 9 in my journal, I pretty much laid out the basics of how I made it if you need any Ideas. Got most of my info from this thread, CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps! and its super simple!!

Thanks quix..I'm going to water cure some leaf trim I've got then go for the butter or oil...can't wait as edibles are my thing!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom