Steven in Vallejo: First time grower, long time gardener, I'm so captivated by this plant

Welcome, welcome! Wow, we're neighbors, I'm just a few miles away as the crow flies. I'm upriver, past the towers. As far as the thrips go, are you seeing moderate leaf damamge? If so, then I'd treat. If not I'd live with them, OR, for a more organic solution go down to Home Depot and get a bag of ladybugs, let them go on you plants, you could even cover them with a very fine netting for a couple days to trap the lady bugs, they'll make short work of thrips/aphids. The reason I like lady bugs is that you're just borrowing them. They are harvested from nests in Northern CA and Oregon (finding a wild nest is amazing, everything is covered in ladybugs for a hundred yards, and sometimes the nests are a couple feet deep in ladybugs) and sold, then they migrate back to the mountains to winter and reproduce, almost like Monarch butterflies!

Welcome, welcome! Wow, we're neighbors, I'm just a few miles away as the crow flies. I'm upriver, past the towers. As far as the thrips go, are you seeing moderate leaf damamge? If so, then I'd treat. If not I'd live with them, OR, for a more organic solution go down to Home Depot and get a bag of ladybugs, let them go on you plants, you could even cover them with a very fine netting for a couple days to trap the lady bugs, they'll make short work of thrips/aphids. The reason I like lady bugs is that you're just borrowing them. They are harvested from nests in Northern CA and Oregon (finding a wild nest is amazing, everything is covered in ladybugs for a hundred yards, and sometimes the nests are a couple feet deep in ladybugs) and sold, then they migrate back to the mountains to winter and reproduce, almost like Monarch butterflies!
We have a water fountain nearby that attracts finches, hummingbirds other small songbirds. I think they are doing the yeomans job of eating a lot of them. Leaf damage hasn't been an issue. I love ladybugs and I love your suggestion. Funny you should bring up Monarchs. We've had a good dozen visiting our garden this past week. I like my chances for a good harvest tonight. Thank you for the neighborly advice tonight!

After seeing 2 thrips in one close photo - and on the buds - with at least 2-3 weeks of bloom left, I would definitely treat. Thrips can explode. Lady bugs overnight inside a fruit tree net is a great idea!

I just went out with my new jewelers loop and couldn't see any thrips tonight. But my vision is shit.
BTW, they are indeed small and very fast. Try holding some white printer paper under the plant and tapping stems to see what falls/jumps off.

And don’t worry - you’re much smarter than they are.

:hippy:

Life is like a bag of weed. You never know what you are going to get - Steven the Stoned Payne
I see that you're located in Vallejo which is a hop...skip...and jump away from me here in Sonoma County.:blunt:

Back
Top Bottom