Storing cannabis for a few days in 30C temperatures

Phillybonker

I have to store my stash of cannabis for a few days in a 30°C temperature environment. The temperature is likely to be like that around 8 hours per day for a few days. It's already been cured for six months and it is stored in a dark area with no light.

My question is: Do you think it will be okay like that for a few days with the temperature like that?

Keep the sunlight off of it and a few days will not be all that much of a problem. The real problem is when there are rapid and/or frequent shifts in temperatures and exposure to bright light.

I don't know how much you have but maybe put the stash in a cooler and keep that in the shade or somewhere cool which should stabilize the temperatures. Also consider putting a couple of 1/2 gallon (2 liter) bottles of water in the freezer. Then once a day switch them out. The ice should be able to drop the temps in the cooler down a few degrees as long as there is no sunlight directly on the cooler.

If in the sun the cooler might get warm enough that you will have to switch ice bottles 2 or 3 times a day.

Keep the sunlight off of it and a few days will not be all that much of a problem. The real problem is when there are rapid and/or frequent shifts in temperatures and exposure to bright light.

I don't know how much you have but maybe put the stash in a cooler and keep that in the shade or somewhere cool which should stabilize the temperatures. Also consider putting a couple of 1/2 gallon (2 liter) bottles of water in the freezer. Then once a day switch them out. The ice should be able to drop the temps in the cooler down a few degrees as long as there is no sunlight directly on the cooler.

If in the sun the cooler might get warm enough that you will have to switch ice bottles 2 or 3 times a day.
I didn't know rapid/frequent shifts in temperature could be a problem.

Thanks for the tips:)

I didn't know rapid/frequent shifts in temperature could be a problem.
Uneven changes in temperatures between the outside and inside of whatever is being stored. As in a jar of buds will heat up faster on the sides where it is exposed to the hot air while the inside will stay cool. Or the other way around.

Something along the lines of frozen food. Put a large piece of frozen meat on a counter to thaw and the outside can get up to room temperature while the center is still frozen. By the time the inside thaws the outer area might have been warm enough that bacteria starts to grow.

Same sort of thing can happen to the flower buds you are storing. If it keeps shifting from a low to high temp back to low and back to high constantly it can mess up the quality. Same sort of thing happens with a lot of stuff we might want to store and not just foods. Books and anything paper can be ruined by the fast and frequent shifts in temp. Pieces of equipment, can go bad if there is this constant rapid change in temperatures. Every now and then is not the problem, it is the constant shift while in storage.

Uneven changes in temperatures between the outside and inside of whatever is being stored. As in a jar of buds will heat up faster on the sides where it is exposed to the hot air while the inside will stay cool. Or the other way around.

Something along the lines of frozen food. Put a large piece of frozen meat on a counter to thaw and the outside can get up to room temperature while the center is still frozen. By the time the inside thaws the outer area might have been warm enough that bacteria starts to grow.

Same sort of thing can happen to the flower buds you are storing. If it keeps shifting from a low to high temp back to low and back to high constantly it can mess up the quality. Same sort of thing happens with a lot of stuff we might want to store and not just foods. Books and anything paper can be ruined by the fast and frequent shifts in temp. Pieces of equipment, can go bad if there is this constant rapid change in temperatures. Every now and then is not the problem, it is the constant shift while in storage.
Duly noted. I think it's time for me to research into burying my stash.

I think it's time for me to research into burying my stash.
If I remember right, there was a thread on "burying the stash" in 2019 or 2020.

I am not faced with having to do it but various ways pop into mind depending on where the burying is to take place as in a back yard, front yard, porch, patio or balcony. Also, have to consider what the area is like as far as being seen by people walking by and personal situations.

Burying advantages include helping to keep the temperature from swinging to extremes, keeping out of the sun, and generally are considered an innocent activity if someone is doing the digging in their own backyard.

Disadvantages include it is dependent on the weather and time of day. Digging in the ground while it is raining or in the dark will attract attention. And, burying involves time to set it up. And getting to the stash quickly might not be as easy as we want.

Just as an exercise I kicked around several ideas and came up with one that could cover any situation. Still fine-tuning the pros and cons.

If I remember right, there was a thread on "burying the stash" in 2019 or 2020.
I'll try and see if I can find it. Thanks
Just as an exercise I kicked around several ideas and came up with one that could cover any situation. Still fine-tuning the pros and cons.
Could you let me know what you come up with?, I've got about 4 pounds to bury but I'm nervous that moisture will find a way in and ruin the buds, or whatever I use to store the buds will become compromised somehow.

Could you let me know what you come up with?,
Give me a day to get back to you with some of the details but it involves using large flower pots instead of burying in the ground in a back yard or out in the bush. Until then the possible moisture problem is something that has to be thought about. Also, try to figure out how much you can afford to loose if something goes wrong.

Duly noted. I think it's time for me to research into burying my stash.
Not knowing where you intend to dig and bury, if you put a fresh cut 5' tree limb in the hole with your stash, two things will happen, outsiders may think you just planted a tree and not give it a second thought, and it will give you a marker to where you buried the stash.
Just my thoughts after smoking a Dr. Grinspoon.

Not knowing where you intend to dig and bury, if you put a fresh cut 5' tree limb in the hole with your stash, two things will happen, outsiders may think you just planted a tree and not give it a second thought, and it will give you a marker to where you buried the stash.
Just my thoughts after smoking a Dr. Grinspoon.
Thanks for the idea, what's that Grinspoon smoke like?

...if you put a fresh cut 5' tree limb in the hole with your stash, two things will happen, outsiders may think you just planted a tree and not give it a second thought, and it will give you a marker to where you buried the stash.
Kinda goes along with my thought of after filling in the hole sticking a cross in the soil to mark where the stash is. Helps to paint something on the cross like "RIP Fido the Dog". People will think it was a dead pet and move on.

I'm nervous that moisture will find a way in and ruin the buds, or whatever I use to store the buds will become compromised somehow.
Use a vacuum sealer. Divide up the stash and put some in each bag. Vacuum seal and that will keep moisture out for a long time. Don't put all of into one bag because if something does go wrong then only part of the stash will be damaged. Place the sealed bags into a metal container to prevent damage to the bags by the shovel. Glass containers are too easily broken.

The title of the thread mentions storing for a few days. My idea is to use a large flower pot for each part of the stash. Put some soil in, then the package, then fill up to the rim. Open a pack of flower seeds, scatter and plant them. Put the basic info on tags and markers and everyone will think that you are an active flower gardener. When the few days are done retrieve the stash, refill the pots, add more seeds and everything will look normal.

That method allows someone to keep the stash on the porch, patio, balcony or in the backyard garden. It will not seem out of place.

If the stash has to stay hidden for an extra week or more it should still be OK as long as a decent container is used to hold the vacuum sealed bags.

I'll try and see if I can find it. Thanks

Could you let me know what you come up with?, I've got about 4 pounds to bury but I'm nervous that moisture will find a way in and ruin the buds, or whatever I use to store the buds will become compromised somehow.
Hi Phillyb if you are thinking about burying your weed you may want to look into cobbing
Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis :goodluck: hope you don't lose it

Kinda goes along with my thought of after filling in the hole sticking a cross in the soil to mark where the stash is. Helps to paint something on the cross like "RIP Fido the Dog". People will think it was a dead pet and move on.

Use a vacuum sealer. Divide up the stash and put some in each bag. Vacuum seal and that will keep moisture out for a long time. Don't put all of into one bag because if something does go wrong then only part of the stash will be damaged. Place the sealed bags into a metal container to prevent damage to the bags by the shovel. Glass containers are too easily broken.

The title of the thread mentions storing for a few days. My idea is to use a large flower pot for each part of the stash. Put some soil in, then the package, then fill up to the rim. Open a pack of flower seeds, scatter and plant them. Put the basic info on tags and markers and everyone will think that you are an active flower gardener. When the few days are done retrieve the stash, refill the pots, add more seeds and everything will look normal.

That method allows someone to keep the stash on the porch, patio, balcony or in the backyard garden. It will not seem out of place.

If the stash has to stay hidden for an extra week or more it should still be OK as long as a decent container is used to hold the vacuum sealed bags.
Thanks for ideas👍

I think you're right vac seal is the best way to keep out moisture and a metal container to protect the bags like you said.

Definitely not glass containers, I was considering burying in glass jars but I've broken a couple of curing jars lately while moving my stash around and realized how easily glass breaks.

The flower pots is a great idea and something I'll do in the future but for now I have to keep my stash off the property due to circumstances.

Hi Phillyb if you are thinking about burying your weed you may want to look into cobbing
Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis :goodluck: hope you don't lose it
I will research into cobbing as I thought it was only a curing technique but looks like a drying technique as well?, I do need a better drying technique as my current drying process is quite bad due to circumstances and certain limitations.

From my short read over on it the cobbing technique looks like it requires burying the cannabis for an extended time which is what I'm after. Thanks 😃

Definitely not glass containers, I was considering burying in glass jars but I've broken a couple of curing jars lately while moving my stash around and realized how easily glass breaks.
When the cardiologist put me on blood thinners I developed a whole new respect for broken glass.;).

Now I am going to have the song "Walking on Broken Glass" by Annie Lennox running through my head the rest of the day. Already have it open on a new tab waiting for me to hit "play":).

Back
Top Bottom