Suplimental CO2 for a small closet grow

vintner

I wrote this in another thread, and one of the moderators suggested that I start a new post and put it there so everyone has a chance to read it. This is not a method I would use for a grow area w/ so many plants that the CO2 levels are significantly depleted. Buy, I think it would work well in a small closet grow w/4-5 plants at most where only additional CO2 is would be good for your plants. Let me know what you think. It may seem complicated, but it's really not. It may be a bit messy at times, especially if you don't use yeast nutrient.

this is how I plan to supply my plants w/suplimental CO2. First, you'll need a five pound bag of sugar to start and a gallon milk jug. Check the yellow pages for a store that sells beer and wine making supplies. Ask them for a wine yeast that has the highest alcohal tolerance. while you're there, if you don't mind spending another five bucks, also pick up a small jar of yeast nutrient, a # 6 drilled rubber stopper, and an air lock(the cheapest they got). Just ask, they'll be happy to show you what those things are.
Now, fill your milk jug half way w/hot water. Dump in about four cups of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of nutrient. Shake it up till all the sugar is disolved. When it's cool, add half a pack of yeast. Put the rest of it in the fridge. Put the jug in your grow area. it should start to foam w/in a day or so. Then start to stir it once or twice a day or just swirl it around. When you get to the point that it no longer foams when you stir it, or when there are only a few bubbles in your air lock every minute, add another cup of sugar. Stir it up to desolve the sugar, and fermentation will take off again. When it doesn't, you know you've reached the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Stir it up, dump half of it down the drain, fill the milk jug back up half way w/water, add a bit more sugar and another dose of nutrient. If it doesn't start to ferment w/in a day, add more yeast. Just keep going through this cycle till your plants are nearly ready to harvest.

Remeber, you're only providing extra CO2, There's already pleanty of it in the air for your plants to servive, but a bit more is always better for them, so if you go for a day or so w/no fermentation going on, don't sweat it. How fast fermentation starts, how long it takes, and how often you'll have to add more sugar will depend mainly on the temps in your grow room. The air lock/bubbler thingy is nice in that it will keep bugs out of your sugar water, and give you a good estimate of how activly fermentation is taking place, and how soon you'll have to add more sugar. You can also put a baloon over the mouth of your milk jug and poke a tiny pin hole in the baloon. when the baloon is flat, you know that it's probably time to add more sugar. You can use bread yeast, but it only has half the alcohol tolerance of wine yeast, so you'll be making new batches more often. If you don't get the yeast nutrient, you can chop up half a lemon, rine and all, and use that instead, but it will smell worse than if you use the yeast nutrient. Just pm me if you have any more questions. It's really not all that complicated.
Vin

Good advice and design, heres mine.

Take a 5 gallon bucket with lid. To the underside of the lid fasten an ordinary fish tank air pump. In the bucket add 3 gallons of water, boil another gallon on the stove and add2 cups of sugar per gallon, when dissolved, add to the other 3 gallons in the bucket. To this add one packet of baking yeast available at any food store. Drill one hole in the lid for a feed line. Fashion a line going from the pump in the bucke, through the hole and into the foliage on each plant. Seal the end of the feed line and poke multiple holes into it so CO2 can escape right into the foliage. With the lid sealed tight, and pump running, the sugars will ferment to alchahol, and realease pure CO2. The air pump sealed in the bucket will pump this CO2 directly into the plants. Mixture should be active for 7 - 10 days, then you need to change it. By doing it this way, your plants are fed directly, before exhaust fans have a chance to pull the CO2 back out of the room.
Heres some pics

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

Are you talking about a hydro set up LJ? I haven't read up on hydro much yet, but I thouhgt you wanted your hydro mix oxygenated. How does adding co2 help?
Vin

this is for the soil or hyrdo its supplies CO2 to the leaves it is used when flowering so the bud gets dense and big and potent.

The CO2 has nothing to do with the hydro. PLANTS, all plants breath CO2 and breath out OXYGEN, so boosting CO2 is good no matter what your media choice.

And you are correct, we use the same air pumps in our Hydro table to keep water full of oxygen.
Some growers use a completely sealed system, no intake of fresh air, plants are in a almost pure CO2 environment. This is costly, and not for the beginer but I have seen it done. As well, rather than fermenting sugar, I was looking at the grow shop at CO2 cubes, you just drop them in water and away they go, get more info for you.

Lord Jebus said:
And you are correct, we use the same air pumps in our Hydro table to keep water full of oxygen.
Some growers use a completely sealed system, no intake of fresh air, plants are in a almost pure CO2 environment. This is costly, and not for the beginer but I have seen it done. As well, rather than fermenting sugar, I was looking at the grow shop at CO2 cubes, you just drop them in water and away they go, get more info for you.
Sorry LJ: I was in a rush and didn't read your first post very well. I am interested in hearing how fast you go through sugar. What I wrote above are just estimates. Would also like more info on the CO2 tablets. Sort of a cost comparison. Question though,why do you put the air pump in your fermentation bucket? As the yeast give off CO2, pressure will build up in the bucket, and eventually force the Co2 through the hose to your plants. I love the hose idea though. Very cool dude. Will deffinately use that.
Vin

Lord Jebus said:

Isn't that basically dry ice? I think the gas released by dry ice is CO2. Check into that, because not only will it be alot of CO2, it would be awome to have them in the fog like that.

You are correct, dry ice is frozen CO2. The problem being that it is at a temp of -110 degrees Fahrenheight. Though you will be giving off pure CO2, the temperature problems caused by the dry ice would be too hard to control. Sugar and yeast mixes work, vinegar and baking soda, . You can even get CO2 blocks at gardening stores. Just put them in water and they release CO2 for a few days.

vintner said:
Sorry LJ: I was in a rush and didn't read your first post very well. I am interested in hearing how fast you go through sugar. What I wrote above are just estimates. Would also like more info on the CO2 tablets. Sort of a cost comparison. Question though,why do you put the air pump in your fermentation bucket? As the yeast give off CO2, pressure will build up in the bucket, and eventually force the Co2 through the hose to your plants. I love the hose idea though. Very cool dude. Will deffinately use that.
Vin

Using yeast, you should get maximum CO2 for 3 to 4 days and then usually change it every ten days to 2 weeks. Initial gains will be over 1000 ppm of CO2. The reasnon we use an air pump is so we can drastically inject CO2 to where its need most, dead center of the plants foliage. This tep is not necessary, but hey like Tim Allen says, More Power.

Hey LJ: Thanks for the responce. Even if you pipe the CO2 directly to the center of the plants, wouldn't it pretty quickly be dispursed throughout the grow area by any fans that are running? Also, how early do you start to provide suplimental CO2?
Vin

I just use Co2 tanks. I open the valve only slightly and allow the extra Co2 to circulate through the selaled grow room. I only use a little at a a time so that I do not mess up the temperture in the grow room, just enough to give the plants a little extra Co2 in their growing enviorment. I can't say it is really noticiable, but it's definatly not hurting anything.

Yes, Co2 is a gas noramally, but it has a solid and liquid state as well. The solid state is in fact dry ice and the liquid state is liquid Co2. I would not use either of these because the temperature is far colder than the plants would like.

However, I like your guys method even better than my own, very creative, clean, and the Co2 generated is natural and not cold. Nice set up.

I know adding dry ice around a grow area will give it extra Co2, and I know you said its too cold, but if you watched the temps really closly, wouldn't you be able to give the plants the Co2, and chill them enough with the temp to make some nice purple buds?

LizardKing714 said:
I know adding dry ice around a grow area will give it extra Co2, and I know you said its too cold, but if you watched the temps really closly, wouldn't you be able to give the plants the Co2, and chill them enough with the temp to make some nice purple buds?

I guess that all depends on how much dry ice you have access to, how large your grow room is, and how well it is insulated. Yes, you would have to watch the temps. very closely, but you should do that anyway.

dyr ice is expensive when you start to get into relative amounts for a grow room ... it's .99 a pound where im at and 1 pound only off gasses for about 20 minutes..... ruoghly $5 an hour $60 a day to run dry ice prolly.....
thats alot of dough...... the new Co2 buckets are even cheaper than that....
www.co2boost.com check it out.....:adore:

I had no idea it would be that expencive. $100 for replacement buckets is kindof steep I think too though. It said its good for 60 days, maybe only a flowering thing.

ye:passitleft: i havent heard good or bad on it .. i think if it can increase weight 60-100% the 100 bucks for the replacement isnt that bad .. if i can get one im gonna try it ...... i might have to actually take a few donations every grow to support it if it makes the meds that much better...:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom