Suplimental CO2 for a small closet grow

Yeah, there's a yeasty smell to it. It's not that over-powering though. If you follow the advice given at the top of this thread and pick up some wine making yeast and some "yeast nutrient", a 5 pound bag of sugar will probably last you 4-6 weeks. If you picked up a couple of extra supplies, you could actually make some wine while you're supplying CO2 to your plants, but there's a lot of learning involved in that.
Vin

LJ included pictures with tubes that are sealed at the ends with pin holes, I assume, placed directly in the foliage of the plant. Would anyone think puting the hose in the soil by the roots make it work better?

Well, they say that roots need oxygen, so I dought that would work very well. You could give it try though. Have one plant w/the tube running into the soil, and another w/it runnin into the foliage. Let us know how it works out. Personnaly, I'm not sure how effective LJ's tubes are, since you have a fan blowing on your plants to strengthen the stem and circulating the air around at the same time. LJ?
Vin

u can also spray your plants with carbonated water.Read your labels some brands also contain potassium. What about brewing beer in the same closet.Easier to do than wine and you can make cannabeer at the same time.

My exhaust system is designed that it takes a few minutes to clear the room air, and to clear heat it is up top. By using the air pump I can release clouds of CO2 through the pinholes, in all directions throughout the plants. This way, The CO2 must past through all foliage to escape to the air to ever be exhausted.

Thanks LJ. that makes sence. so your exaust fans don't run all the time? have you noticed a big difference supplimenting CO2 this way?
Vin

back in the 1900's i ran a perferated hose coiled thru a 5gal bucket .. then attached this hose to a lid for a plastic thermos..... would place dry ice in the thermos with water , screw the lid on n direct it str8 to the roots....:laughtwo:
i was a nooB but learned a critical lesson on that grow.... roots need 02 not C02... now i put an airstone in a few inches of gravel in that bucket with a kick ass air pump n can watch em grow now ...... just gotta figure out an EASY way to get the c02 in there.... without it smellin like a brewery:bong:

I have a small grow closet myself and what ive been doing for some number of years is supplementing my CO2 with Dry ice... It's easy, fast, cheap, and relatively simple........ Wal*Mart, Schnucks, Costco, Menards.... a lot of grocery stores ship their frozen goods with dry ice some place sell it dirt cheap if not for free (Id call first and double check, Local yellow pages) I load up two big ice chests or coolers with it and put an oscilating fan in front of the open ice chest as the dry ice melts it releases the CO2 with no mess so clean up is a breeze and you dont really have to worry about the nasty yeast bread smell :goodjob:

This is great advice!

I brew my own beer, so as soon as my grow room is ready, I am moving my beer fermenting barrels in there to supply the CO2.

thats a good question im going to try carbonated water on two plants.... at the big spot I use the milk jugs with a hose conecting them with 1/8 inch holes drilled in it . they are the graay hose in these pics
015359.JPG
016326.JPG
012460.JPG

what about spraying carbonated water on ur plants to give them co2?

DO NOT DO THAT!!!! Roots need oxygen and nutrients its the cells in the leaves that use nitrogen and carbon dioxide for photosynthesis co2 in the roots will cause plants to shrivel and die trust me I did that on my first grow for the sake of your crop don't do the carbonated water

I use the ebb and grow system, 2 buckets in one with a 55 gallon resevior. In between the 2 pots is a one inch gap between bottoms. So as the water gets pulled back into the resevror, H20 is pulled right down through the roots. Using lava rocks. So air gets pulled straight through pots. I also googled this morning on the CO2 my grow room is 7 by 8 feet. So to raise the CO2 i found that using 2 lanterns. Made a big diffrence, Raised room temp, 10 degrees, Have ac unit so got it to right temp, and noticed big diffrence in 1 day. Alot cheaper then the R and M co2 burner machines.

I'm just harvesting my 2nd grow and things look pretty good. But, I want more and better!

Anyway, I've been looking at all the ideas for homemade co2 generators and, having lived with a homebrewer, I checked one of those sites (Homebrew Heaven is where I went). I got a 6-gallon heavy plastic jug and air-locks that release the co2 as well as a couple of stoppers. They have a bunch of tubing, but I don't know the diameter yet. Seems to be quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Back
Top Bottom