Supplemental lighting qustion

AKgramma

Because of the immense size and distance of the sun from earth, and the action of global weather patterns, the earth is bathed in solar wavelengths that get light to all parts of a plant, not just from above.

So, logically, in an enclosed space, supplemental side lighting is necessary to provide a similar "wash" of light to the whole plant. If we were able to do this efficiently, perhaps scrogging and LSTing would not be necessary.

I'm using 23W CFLs, both daylight and soft white, for economy and heat issues. Maybe I should supplement with fluorescent side lighting. Would "grow lights" mounted along the walls work?

Hey AK.. Not sure if ill give you an exact answer but ive done some research on this for my box.. I was thinking about doing the same in my box. The only thing i have stumbled upon that will probably help is to make sure that you use the "high output" t5 bulbs.. I know many places carry "grow lights" but if you check the lumens on most of these lights it has half the output of the bulbs you really need.. And from what ive been reading you need a "high output" ballast as well.. Like i said im no expert and just some things ive noticed from different light suppliers. But i will add that depending on the distance you plan to have the lights from the plant will also make a difference.. In a box as small as mine im sure every bit of light would make a difference but with me being a perfectionist i know i will use 4.. 2 of each spectrum. Just my opinion. Hope this little bit of info helped although its not much

Sypherz: Your input was very relevant and useful. My grow and flower areas are very small, too, and I've upped the light in the flower closet by adding 2 100 watt daylight CFLs at a lower level to get the lower buds. I have also read up on defoliating to eliminate any shadows on the lower buds. So my single lst'd lady looks really good, trimmed down to her healthiest leaves.

If I supplement with T5's, I'll be sure and get good quality ballasts and bulbs.

So actually people do find that training outdoors also does improve final weight when done correctly. Mostly due to internal nodes getting better light... Most people do some pruning outdoors instead to get the light there.

Of special note...plants do freak when significant light comes from the bottom. It confuses them. Most plants do like sunflowers and point towards the sun in some amount. Cannabis does that and you should be rotating them if you can. But you don't want lower shaded leaves to try and turn upside down for a light down there. I mean maybe that doesn't hurt but I read it does.

I believe it is best is to do top lighting with some training. Try to make an even canopy so it all matures evenly. I keep my scrog (when I scrog) kind of close to the plant and get the lower nodes into the Scrog. What doesn't get into the scrog gets lollipoped.

But I doubt you will do anything bad by doing lower lighting. Lots of people do side lighting. I even seen a 1000W hanging down in between big ones before. But that is a huge waste the way I saw it done.

My understanding gramma is you have a smallish tent. You may want to consider a Scrog instead. That is what a scrog is for...optimizing a small space. Big grows have overlapping large wattage bulbs and it doesn't really matter. (like I showed you a bit ago).

trees5.jpg

:Namaste:

VI: I actually built and tried scrogs early in my first grow, but, because I have very limited mobility and can't stand up for more than a few minutes, and am very short, I could not reach all parts of the scrog. And we're talking 2 x 2's! I removed them right after installing them, realizing I had no way of maintaining them. My space is very limited: flowering is tucked away in a closet, and veg is on doubled-up shelving, also tucked in a corner of a very small grow room.

So, I chose to LST instead, which allows me to turn the plant so I can garden sitting down.

Back
Top Bottom