Temperature and growing

Your 600 watt light will heat the tent for you. At least for the times it is on. Dark temps will slowly drop tell they reach the same temps as the room it is in. Your temps are fine for dark time. The tent will also help with smells and odors from the grow reaching upstairs. With a fan pulling air from the inside of the tent you create a vacuum that holds the smell in.

My last grow was in a similar environment. I used air cooled light fixtures and my temps were a little low with it. Running a 600 in say a 48" x 48" x 80" or a 60" x 60" x 80" should keep temps right. As long as temps don't get over 90 degrees for any amount of time you will be good. My 1000 watt was a little to much heat without a air cooled fixture. Your 600 should do great.

Another reason a tent helps is with soil temps. With a tent you keep all your warmth and it is absorbed by the plants and the soil. This helps keep everything warm as the temps drop. All this should help you not have to run a heater at all especially not in the tent. They can create problems sometimes.

Thanks for your interest. I want to transplant the ole girl to a bag. Soil I want to use has been in the commercial bag in the back porch. It is damp. I have a 15 bag 3/4 full with it and have a box fan blowing on it. The soil the plant is in is drier than the new. What should I do? There is new growth low on the plant now. Also, upper 6” of stalk is red in color. Whereas below is green.
I was thinking of a 3x3x6’ tent. I have that Vivosun fan and a 6” in line filter to hang up there. Thought of putting a tent on a pallet to keep everything off the cold floor.
I shut off the exhaust fan and pulled end out of chimney last night. There is no spell coming from plant at this time to use it. A have a small fan on floor blowing up at plant for air movement. What about a 24x48” tent? We want a second plant. It won’t be in the same stage as our first plant. If it was, can a 600 light cover two plants, esp if the small plant was on a stand to bring in closer to lamp? Thanks for your time.

Where I grow, in ground, temps vary from 40s to 60s at nite, 60s to 80s daytime. Would you expect the same relationship to temps here too? (I've long wondered.)

You want your soil moist when your re-pot. It saves you from having to over water the plants after re-potting. Yes a exhaust fan will remove some heat from the tent. Still there is lots of radiant heat from a HPS light. How much is up to you. Fans speed and where you keep your fans for air circulation matter a lot. If you need heat put your fans near the top of the tent blowing down. This will help circulate the warmth and still give the plants a workout. Plus if you don't vent the air from the tent outside. It will help warm the area around the tent.

A 600 watt HPS can grow lots of plants. That light in a 48 x 48 x 80 could grow 9 plants with ease. That also makes it a little to much light/heat in a 24 x 48 x 72. With a HPS I would go with a 80" tent as apposed to a 60 or 72" tent. You need room to move the lights up. You may never use it all but you need it if a plant decides to stretch out of control. Which happens more than people would like lol. The pallet idea is a good one.

If you want to grow multiple plants under the same light at different stages in growth. You might want to check out Auto flower strains. If you can pick and choose. If not just leave the tent on flower and do your starts somewhere else. They don't have a lot of smell and don't need a ton of light. You can do starts in lots of places.

Where I grow, in ground, temps vary from 40s to 60s at nite, 60s to 80s daytime. Would you expect the same relationship to temps here too? (I've long wondered.)

Pretty sure I understand what Oldgrowth is talking about. He wants to know if you temps would be similar to what he has been growing with. Soil temps go right along with ambient temps. From my understanding. If he ran a tent they would be. If he can warm up your daytime temps anyway.

I have an 600 led light. I only feel warmth about 5” away. Don’t think it will heat a tent on its’ own. I guess I could recirculate the air inside the tent. I think I mentioned before that that room has 83” to keep tent under a light bulb fixture. I want to grow 12 months if possible. She came home and said our source of the first seedling dried up. She doesn’t know if she will see him again. So...right now we have just the one plant to bring back.
I won’t try to clone it til the plant is healthy again. I can get a second small tent and another small light next summer. This canna is just for us two. Michigan residents can have 2 plants and a few ounces for Recreational use. I am not going to grow to sell.

Planned on setting the bag on an open wire chair frame. So bag will be off the cold floor.
Unless you turn off the furnace and leave all the doors and windows open your basement floor will be pretty much the same temperature in the winter as it is in the summer. It should stay in the mid 50s all year long. There is even a heating system that runs pipes through the ground and pulls cool air into the system in the summer and warm air in the winter.

Who shortens their light times to duplicate nature during winter? I’ll stop now.
Not a good idea. The plant will use the dark period to produce the hormones needed to initiate and then continue to flower. Get the light period to short and there will not be enough light to keep photosynthesis going. Without that photosynthesis the plant cannot provide for the growth of bigger, harder and better flower buds. This is one of the main reasons the best cycle is 11 or 12 hours lights on and 12 or 13 hours for lights off. Here in southeast Michigan we are already at about 9 hours of good light levels. Early morning and evenings are not very bright anymore.

I am in Michigan.
Don't know if you have added in on this msg thread....
Michigan Growers Unite!

Enjoy the day. Lot of rain headed for Michigan this weekend.

i've had plants as low as 12C in veg. they did not grow.
kind of sat there in stasis and did not take much up for water and nutrients. but they also did not die or suffer any real damage.

resumed growth when the temp got above 14C. issue was a busted furnace in winter.

i've had plants as low as 12C in veg. they did not grow.
kind of sat there in stasis and did not take much up for water and nutrients. but they also did not die or suffer any real damage.

resumed growth when the temp got above 14C. issue was a busted furnace in winter.
Pretty much they go into a dormant stage similar to the way many animals either hibernate or sleep through very cold weeks during the winter. Goes up a couple of degrees and the animal wakes up and looks around for food and then sleeps again when it gets cold.

Not marijuana but I have kept Geraniums, Rosemary, Oregeno and other culinary herbs all winter in my back room. Temps hover between 42 F and 30 F (on very very cold nights). They get a little sun, and like "bluter" says they do not take up much water. Pretty sure the trick to keeping them there all winter is that it does not stay at freezing more than a couple of hours at a time so the root balls do not freeze. The house is already filled with house plants that require much warmer temps otherwise I would bring them in instead of leaving them in the back room.

We do not need more water in our lakes. Ten years ago Lakes were at a low. This plant started in June outside on our deck. Consistent sunshine was lacking. So we bought a led light and it continued to grow. I never brought the light to even a foot from plant. I also did not top off plant. I have had it on a 12/12 since. I want a tent to keep in warm. Maybe it will grow taller than 30”. Can someone tell me why the upper 6” of stalk is red? It is not new growth as the height is the same as it was.

We do not need more water in our lakes. Ten years ago Lakes were at a low. This plant started in June outside on our deck. Consistent sunshine was lacking. So we bought a led light and it continued to grow. I never brought the light to even a foot from plant. I also did not top off plant. I have had it on a 12/12 since. I want a tent to keep in warm. Maybe it will grow taller than 30”. Can someone tell me why the upper 6” of stalk is red? It is not new growth as the height is the same as it was.

a lot of confused info to sort through.

are you still outdoor ? june is super late to start outdoor in most places in north america.
what are your temps day/night if you are outdoor?

red vein can be caused by a few things, including cool temps, or could be genetic as well.

We started outside in a pot but moved it indoors. We have a 600 LED. Asking for suggestions on a tent size Methinks starting outside helped the plant get going. I took buds and leaves off plant three weeks ago. Plant is pretty naked now. Here are a pair of images. Close up of new growth. I tried to leave a few leaves on plant after harvest, but they yellowed and drooped. I think I overwatered it while we were gone for 10 days. So am trying to dry soil out now. How do I bring plant back?

Attachments

• F9A91398-6005-4D5E-852E-A1F83E82E8F8.jpeg
    F9A91398-6005-4D5E-852E-A1F83E82E8F8.jpeg
    777.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2DE72793-E962-40F4-AF56-A158476C1138.png
    2DE72793-E962-40F4-AF56-A158476C1138.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 73
We started outside in a pot but moved it indoors. We have a 600 LED. Asking for suggestions on a tent size Methinks starting outside helped the plant get going. I took buds and leaves off plant three weeks ago. Plant is pretty naked now. Here are a pair of images. Close up of new growth. I tried to leave a few leaves on plant after harvest, but they yellowed and drooped. I think I overwatered it while we were gone for 10 days. So am trying to dry soil out now. How do I bring plant back?

hey @Finnicki are you new to the site ?

:welcome:

welcome to 420 if you are.
may i suggest we back up a minute. you may want to post up a hello here
check out the helpful links for new members

i would recommend starting a grow journal so every one can follow along and offer advice. this is where most of the traffic occurs.

finally there is a bit of a protocol when asking for help.
the members need a minimum of background information in order to help provide advice.
you can find out what we look for in how to ask for grow support.

i suggest maybe posting a hello and re-posting a direct question in the faq.

good to have you here. there are loads of good people with willing advice.

This is the chart I’ve been using in regards to Temperature and Humidity.
I run 75-80F (78F) in the day, 70-75 (68F) at night. I read that the plants do well will a 10F change from day to night.
5E52FF62-89F3-4EB1-BBFB-74C93DBC828A.jpeg

Someone on here pointed out that you need to read the temp off the leaves, but I figure in about 3 degrees +\-. I don’t have a laser temp. gauge.

and another to cross reference for flower.
Thanks for posting these charts Adam .
After adding another light , my GR temps rose to 84* in the late afternoon.
It stayed around 79* before new light.
2 weeks into flower and I have kept my RH around 45%.
I can keep the temps during the day around 80* to 84*with existing equipment during the day and get my RH
up to 65%.
During 12 hr dark I can easily get temps down to lower 70’s and humidity down to whatever I need.
I have great airflow and easily keep fresh air moving .
So my question ,
Will daytime temps and high RH not lead to mold ?
What should my RH be during dark period ?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom