The AeroGarden from AeroGrow?

akrazyrunner

Has anyone seen the info-mercial on the the AeroGarden from AeroGrow?
Shop & Save on AeroGardens, Seed Kits, Grow Lights | AeroGrow Official Store
I am wondering if this would be something that would be a simpler solution
or a jumping off point for a new indoor grower.
I know there are probably similar products out there that are more specific
to growing what I want, but I am a bit paranoid to have my credit card
information or my address tied to those sort products.
I have however, replaced all of my lights in my house that have burned out
with compact florescents in anticipation of starting someting up this spring.
Thanks again in advance for any and all information

I bought one and am giving it a go. I'm a total newbie to growing and am using oldish bag seeds. I only got it two weeks ago, so I'll have to see how it goes. Wish me luck! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Justme_Pooh said:
I bought one and am giving it a go. I'm a total newbie to growing and am using oldish bag seeds. I only got it two weeks ago, so I'll have to see how it goes. Wish me luck! :cheesygrinsmiley:

please update us with pics and such!! a grow journal with this machine would be great

LOL. Its very tiny and expensive for what you get. Its pretty and could makw growing herbs more fun but I mean shit like dill,oregano, that type of herb.
Not very suitable for growing 420 herbs but it can work. Just expect low results.

It's only for personal medical & I thought that if I used a short strain (like Northern Lights #5 or Chronic's Revenge), or pinched the top, it might work??

Okay, you old timers can stop snickering at the newbie! ;^)

Sorry bro, just giving a opinian. Mj plants grow fast and normally double or even triple in size once you flower. Height is too big of a issue and you still need a dark room to flower. I just think you would be happier with a setup where the light isn't so restricted in a set area.

Well, maybe a Lowryder #1 would grow alright in there. If it's just one, you can always bend it over to keep it under the light, and then you wouldn't need to worry about a dark period.

Peace
MC

These things are the cat's ass. I use them for stupid hot peppers as well as herb. (I have three currently running.) The seed kits tend to suck, I am trying to find a source for empty pods. You can make your own with a soldering iron and a plastic water bottle. White fibreglass does work as fill. The height limitation is easily dealt with by adapting two shaver cords and adding the plastic wands from your vacuum cleaner. Even a chunk of 1 1/2" abs will give you all the height that you need. I mix a small scoop of Miracle Grow in with the fertilizer tabs and it works well for me. Dissolve the tabs and powder in a bottle of water first though.
I have Tepins in flower right now and you cannot grow these outside in Canada. For a hobby grower you cannot find a better product... easy, and helicopters are not going to be hovering above your house.

Ok, so I hope this tread is still going strong. I have a couple of questions when it comes to the Aerogrow. Like many I've decided to give it a go. I got the idea from one of HT's publications. "The AeroGarden Experiment". I've started a journel, and will keep everyone posted. I used his suggestions at start...Tomato setting, distilled water, 1 small and 1 large nutrient, Several problems from the start...my fault. Seeds never popped...left the lights on. Also was storing them in a cool dry place instead of the freezer. Corrected this but not after I lost 3 seeds. Too much water and not enough darkness? I'm guessing here. So round 2, reset machine...only growing 1 seed and after 6 days it sprouted. So my first of many questions is...Did it sprout because of the change from freezer to AeroGrow? When do I turn the lights back on? Should I wait till the sprout clears the pod? And/Or wait till unit changes from "Germination" to "Initial Growth"...?

So I'm trying to educate myself by reading some of the posts' and came up with another question. Should I have added the nutrients right off? The AeroGarden Experiment didn't say whether the nutrients were added from day one. Most of the posts' say don't add nutrients until initial growth.

Ok, so I guess it's up to me to keep this thing going. Plus it will work for my journal. As for my last question about lights: If the sprouts can see the lights from the pod then I would think lights on for the beginning of the initial growth stage. So lights on and we'll see what happens. As for the nutrients I may switch from the Aerogrow nutrients to something better suited like the Miracle Grow (18-18-20).

Okay guys and girls, since someone rattled my cage, away we go....
A number of the above questions were answered in my first post. Fasten your seatbelts kids, I'm gonna play for a while...
Renegade, I grow hot peppers that are beyond stupid. Seeds do not see light, they are triggered by temperature. Habaneros and Tepins need 85 F just to germinate. Herb is the same, but lower. A clear plastic recycling bag over the unit will keep the heat from the lights inside... where you need it. Seed viability is always iffy, so plant two or three seeds per pod and cull the weaklings. Sprouts seek light immediately. Plants do get tired and need to rest. That is why we have darkness at night. I use the vegetable setting. Tomatos are probably classed as vegetables. I mix one small scoop of Miracle Grow in a .5 litre drinking water bottle and one tablet. You should have recieved a package of root or growth tablets. Add the required dose immediately on filling. The plant will take what it needs when it needs it... if it is there in the first place. You gotta be American, our Canadian units are simple... push the button and walk away. Good luck.

KZ, And were off! Ok eh...lol. Yes American and all the units are the same. Thanks for the suggestions and I will proceed accordingly...lol. I understand seeds versus sprouts and light...I may have miss stated one of my questions. This is where I am at now...Sprout peeking out of pod. Seed began sprouting at the end of the first week. I turned the lights out (unplugged the hood) on day 2 of the first week and turned them back on when I saw the sprout. I added 2 and 2 for the nutrients from start. Somehow lost the initial tablets. This will be the end of the second week for the "Tomato" setting. Is it too late to change to the vegetable setting? The Miracle Grow...is your (Canadian) MG 24-8-16? We know the vegetative growth calls for the higher P and N. Would the MG Tomato 18-18-? do better? And are you using the regular MG during the whole vegetative growth stage? What do you change to for the flowering stage? One of the readings suggested Peters 5-50-17 for the flowering stage and cut back about a week before harvesting. Sorry for so many questions but it seems you and I are the only ones using this home grown method. I have created a self Aerogrow Instructions...lol based on all my readings and all the suggestions from others. Would be glad to share it with you if your interested. I've actually already changed some things based on your suggestions. I'm due to add nutrients and will use your suggestion on that one but why even use the tablets at all if the MG works fine by itself? I want to fine tune this and then try a AutoBerryLowryder. Btw: What is the "Hot Peppers"? Ok so tag your it and thanks for the help.

KZ, So you picking on me and now it's my turn. You do know your in a "Weed" forum? Horticulture is Horticulture but your methods my not apply here. Hot Peppers...ROTFLMAO!!! I do like your suggestion on the plastic bag during germination though so I'll use that next grow I start.

Picking on you? No way. I believe that knowledge is meant to be shared. I'm not growing this year, I don't need to. It will take me a while to reply to your previous, but only because I am insanely busy this weekend. Trust me, tepins and habaneros are much harder to grow and maintain than herb.
Item first, I am using the 16 hour cycle, and I always do. It works. Unplugging the hood disorients the plant. 16 hours appears to be the optimum "Summertime" period. I'll try to find my manuals, there is a way to decrease the time of the cycle without changing the setting but I started my herb in January so that it could summer outside and be a tree. Decreasing the time setting by an hour or two a week should result in small plants with one or two super large buds... patience is often useful.
I'm using 15-30-15 with one tablet dissolved in the mix. You can go higher on the N, but the risk of mortality increases. Or that may just be our local water. We have a limestone base so our water is more acidic. I am using nothing but the miracle grow and tablet mix when I fill, unless the water is blue, it does not go in there.
Flowering stage... I didn't go there. My six trees were happily living out in the wild. Honestly? I don't think that the fertilizer makes much difference, a healthy plant will be a happy plant. I've grown for more than 30 years and if your plant is good, it will kick ass even growing in sand. It is the light that is important. Warmth is good, and you have more of that than I do.
I use the tablets because I paid for them... so I'm damn well gonna get my money's worth. I don't know the formulation, I just checked, it's not posted on my packaging but it works. Hey, it can't hurt, right?
I'll probably start a new two year supply this winter, suggestions are always good.

Good luck, hope that you have a bountiful harvest.

Kz, Well at least your good hearted about it...So when you say "herb" do you mean weed? I agree unplugging the hood but this is done only during germination. The light cycle for tomato seems to be 6/18 hrs during germination and 8/16 hrs for mature growth. But here again germination didn't really matter till the seed pop'd and sprout appeared. And the unit only stayed in germination state for 10 days.

"local water/limestone", I will only use distilled water for just that reason. As for the nute tabs from AG, I finally got one of the SME's (thanks DB) here to admit about the nutes "They can't be too far off from optimal. They'll work fine." And yes we paid for them so why not use them.

My temps/humidity seem to range between 81/45 low with a high of 88/53 and an average of 84/50. I have read that optimum temp should be between 72-85 and humidity between 45-65 an average of 78 seems impossible to maintain. Maybe vent my cabinet will help bring my temps down.

Has anyone taken cannabis to harvest in one of those things? If so, how much did you get? It seems that with little light and little space, one wouldn't get much at all for their $99-$169 investment compared to sticking a $69 150-watt AiO HPS setup (or even a boat-load of CFLs) into a corner cupboard with decent soil or a cheap and simple DWC bucket setup.

But I could be missing something, I suppose.

TS, no not missing anything at all. For a large grower it would seem useless. But for personal use people like me it's a nice little hobby. Cost is minimum and the bulbs are fine for that. There are several people here and on other boards that claim success. I say claim because I'm just not that nieve (sp). Just wanted to give it a go and see what I come up with. I may be hooked though because I got stuck reading and looking at pic's from the bubble group. NICE!!! Seems to much work there though.

Hello Renegade! I appreciate all the work you have done thusfar researching and experimenting on this topic. I recently received an aero-garden as a gift (in my case this IS cheaper than all these other setup ideas because it is free!), and have a similar living situation to yours where I cant just, oh say bring a bunch of "hydroponic equipment" into my home. The plug and play option seems like a fun hobby to experiment with. Anyway, you mentioned earlier that you had developed some kind of systematic guide for attempting this thing, I think you can access my email on the profile thing, but I can shoot it to you if you have any interest in helping me get started. In return all I can offer is one more person looking into the viability of this approach. I tried to grow in soil a long time ago, but I think they died because the light was insufficient once they reached adolescence. I hope this thing provides sufficient light, it seems very bright, anyway, hope everything is going well, I am gonna try to germinate and get moving, but any advice would be appreciated, I defer to your experience!

Back
Top Bottom