The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

Hey I'm a new grower I'm using cfls what is the exact bulb I need for flowing please help my baby I have a 2700k 40 w 2600 lumens bulb I have one plant for now she's about 1 week old

I use a 24" four light t5 set up and use the 6700 lemens the hole time biggest thing is keeping the light close to the buds and not burning them

Gutta You da Man! I love this thread I have never grown with CFL's I still pop the Halides and HPS, but you step up in the spirit of going to the Mountain and help a brother ! I also like the fact that on this website for the most part the folks don't belittle or criticize people for their grow screw ups. Great job and reps to you!

Thanks bro just trying to help out fellow growers on :420: we all had to start off somewhere I myself is still new to cannabis cultivation and wanted to start off small with cfl's soon I will upgrade to hps and halides or led not sure which one I want to go with :)

The first guy that I knew that grew inside under lights used 4 ft shop light to start them and he had 4 halide security lights from some warehouse or factory they were tearing down. He had them all jury rigged wired and hanging in a shack/ shed on his farm. The plants were all just planted in the ground since the shed had no floor and he had 2 of those web style chaise lounges like people used to lay out and tan on at one end. Times sure have changed a lot more light sources now days. But he grew bud even back then

I am seeing a pretty alarming amount of downy and powdery mildew in my plants. I believe that everyone should be on the look out if you live in the Midwest ...Mid South ....and South. The weather conditions have been ideal in these area and it's here no doubt about it.

Many people refer to this as blue mold or even sometimes as " bud rot" ( which actually can be a couple problems). It thrives in warm humid wet weather conditions such as we have been experiencing lately across large portions of the U.S.

Control options vary but here are a couple. purchase copper and make my own. If the plants aren't heavily affected you can also spray milk at a rate of 1 part milk to 3 parts water. You can also use my favorite hillbilly farmer remedy and mix about a tablespoon of baking soda in a gallon of water. Add just a few drops of dish soap to act as a spreader or surfactant. Both of these are more preventative than a cure but they do seem to retard the progress.

On an up note over all we are in that always almost astounding plant growth period. In everything from corn to melons and of course our favorite plant now is the time to push your crops for maximum yield. Remember it's all about plant growth stages Right now is the prime vegetative growth period outside!

Best of luck in all you grow!

I sprayed milk on LA Confidential once. I had a very rainy summer, bad really, and she got PM in August. It works fine.

Another way to eliminate soil gnats is to water your plants from the bottom only. By doing this the top couple inches of your soil stays dry, which takes care of the problem.

DSC00680_800x532_2_.jpg
in dirt easy fix 1/4 inch of sand on top

All the suggestions here are good. I usually spread a quarter inch of manure over the surface of the soil. Blocks the little buggers from their breeding grounds - AND the girls love the extra food.

I had trouble with PM this year too, but I'm an indoor guy. The RH outdoors was 65 to 70 percent all spring long. Indoors it was 85% sometimes - almost had drops falling off the ceiling. Not healthy. Replaced and upgraded my AC system - it's all good now.

~ Auggie ~

High outdoor humidity definitely affects my humidity inside my grow room. Room is in my unattached, unheated garage. My intake vents are inside the garage, so however hot or cold and humid it is inside the garage, that`s my intake air. Have an 8 inch exhaust fan also. Air exchange really helps.

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but if you are growing outside in the mid west to the mid south and east coast be on the look out for downy and powdery mildew on your plants. As a side note also check your tomatoes for signs of late blight. These warm rainy conditions followed by cool nights are perfect for the appearance of these disease pressures.

Especially if you are growing auto flower plants be aware of the potential for quick progression of this problem. Tight bud formation with little air movement to dry these areas make them especially susceptible. I am currently seeing this on almost every one of my auto flowering plants and I am having trouble with controls because of the daily rains.

These conditions also are causing an increase in insect pressure on all garden crops right now. Again control is difficult with the kind of rain that we have been getting.

For my own situation I am fortunate that I only have one week left on the Auto Pounders and Auto pounders with cheese, as well as , the Candy Kush. If the rains don't stop I may move them inside to finish flowering. My concern is that if you don't monitor powdery and downy mildew it can turn a beautiful plant into an unsmokable mess in a relatively short time period. Best of luck in all you grow!

Hi to all of you old timers...from somebody else that is in the same age group and was born in the mid 50s. I'm on my first grow (ever) and in coco and have 2 Super Silver Haze going. My problem is that one of them is quite healthy and the other one is quite weak looking. It is characterized by slower growth, small and very thin leaves that appear to have some splotching on them. The leaf also feels a bit leathery. They are both from the same source and are being grown under the same conditions and fed GH nutrients (primarily a diluted 6/9 formula).

My thinking is that I just have a runt, although I guess I could have screwed something up along the way. But the fact that my other plant is so healthy looking makes me wonder.

So I guess my basic question is to ask whether you guys ever just pull the plug on a plant. I've tried a number of corrective measures and nothing has seemed to help and I have no qualms about finishing with one good plant. At this point the sickly plant is just irritating me.

Thanks!

Are you supplementing with any source of cal mag growing in that coco? To answer your question though, I personally pull plants quite often. I'm growing a bunch of different strains and when one strain, or one individual plant, seems too fussy, I yank it. If I know it's getting the same treatment as the others, and the others are happy but the one continues to make a fuss, I just don't have time for it.

Thanks Weaselcracker! Yes, I've supplemented with CalMag and they both have been getting some a couple of times a week. I think that I probably just have a weak sister. The funny thing is that I was sorta planning for this and tried germinating 3 seeds. Remember, this is my first time and I must have popped one of the seeds in a little too tightly in the Rapid Rooters because when I pulled it apart after 2 weeks there was a millimeter or so of a tap root, but that was it. My intent was to grow the 2 more robust plants but those plans got shot to hell when the one seed failed to germinate. But, being a novice, I'm still delighted to have 1 strong and healthy plant.

Hey Gorgar! If I am growing inside then yes I pull under performing plants. The real estate is too expensive and in an indoor grow adjacent plants are more than willing to take up that extra space usually in just a matter of a day. However, I have to tell you about why I don't pull under performing plants outdoors. I had a string of plants lined out at the edge of a huge cornfield. At the far end of the line I had two plants that like yours were just sitting there not really growing as they should. I was going to pull them. Since they were at the far end and I had to walk about 15 extra minutes through the woods to get to them and I figured that they weren't going to make it. So I just quit taking care of them in about late May or early June. I forgot about them until November when I was bird hunting. My dog headed over that way and I followed. I knew where I was at and I started scanning the ground looking to see if either of those little plants had made it. As I wasn't paying attention to Ed...of course he chose that time to bust a covey. I shot twice, more in frustration than with hopes of hitting anything.
As I bent over to pick up my shell casings, Ed was nosing around in the brush at the base of two 6-7 foot tall plants bent over with buds almost touching the ground. They were stunning! Yellow leaves set off huge blue green colas. I forgot about the birds much to Ed's disappointment and brought home 28 and a half ounces off of those two runts.

Sounds like you got your bag limit that day Holler. :bravo:

Yea, I'm with the others here. If I get a high maintenance girl - she gets put out on the curb (so to speak). I don't need primadonnas, don't have time for them, or space. I usually plant about 10% more plants that I plan on keeping for just that reason.

Just one suggestion: do some research on Silver Haze. Look into other genetics. It MAY be that Silver Haze is a picky breed, maybe weak and best for experienced growers. There may be other genetics that will do a better job for you. Something strong and productive like the old school stuff: Hash plant, OG kush, Blue Dream, etc. All of that info is available on-line, and you can always ask for peoples experiences with specific genetics here.

Learn all you can with the grow you have; but next time, do some research and select your genetics according to your needs, environment and skills.

~ Auggie ~

Sorry was offline for a while. Life got a little cra cray but better now. So I did cal mag from the beginning of feed schedule during veg and foliar applications daily when the issue showed up. Not so good over here. I've 3-5 weeks of flower time minimum left and I'm dropping fan leaves in significant numbers in fact my beloved California Orange has three left. Really at a loss I rarely have nutes issues. Again fox farm soil oceans mist for farm mutes tiger bloom and grow big no signs of nitrogen burn if anything I under fed so..??
IMG_20150710_071127.jpg
IMG_20150710_071127.jpg
IMG_20150710_071104.jpg

Hey Yogi, I hate late grow problems worse than any other issues. Time is limited and so are your reaction/ action options. I've got a question.
Indoors or out? If outside what have your weather conditions been like over the last 2 weeks? Is this mainly on the bottom leaves or top leaves or kind of general through out the plant? Is there any progression from the bottom to the top? You know like it starts with lower leaves and kind of works it's way up? With daily mistings you open yourself up to pathogen potential because you create the kind of moist environments that they like. I recommend no more than one foliar feeding a week and I prefer to do that early in the day when the leaves will dry fairly quickly. This is at least the way I like to manage my vegetable crops but it applies to weed as well. Best of luck in all you grow!

Back
Top Bottom