The Seattle Cheebahawk Nest - 6000W Sealed Room

Hi Farnorth,
Sorry to hear about the problem you´re having, hope you got it nailed and solved.
I read you use Neem Oil and I want to buy some myself. Have you got any experience with these brands:
Azaprot; Aingrow; Mighty Neem from Plagron; Protect Killer; Proneem which is neem extract flour.
I´m not sure which one I should go for.
Plus, do you spray plants in veg, bloom or both? What about buds, do you think it´s safe to spray them? I´ve read it can affect bud´s smell and taste.
Thanks.
A good weekend, Cheers

Hey everyone!!
Tugafox- yes I do use neem but as a preventative not as a stopper once bugs are in the room. I totally agree with the organic approach however I can not lie through my experience all organic insecticides do is slow them down. If you do not bite the bullet and use chemical insecticides you will have bugs for the entirety of your grow career, as they will follow you from room to room in old equipment.
I feel there is a definite allegiance to the full organic no Chem anything, nutes, pesticide, etc. While I agree there is a step many overlook. If you research what chemicals to use, when to use them, how they effect your plants and bud, they can be a safe effective tool that everyone NEEdS to use.
For your questions about the pesticides listed I will get to that in a moment.
Boogeyman- thanks for the subscription!

Sorry for the delay in posts things have been very busy lately with my garden as well as other side projects.
A larger update will come in the near future next couple days, but for now a quick update and a photo.

I figured out the problem in the room and as far as the last 6 days go have solved it. Some may not agree with my approach but as far as solving the issue it worked 100% knock on wood.

The issues in the plants were not nutrient or ph problems at all.. In fact they were bugs.
I work on an outdoor project and my only assumption is they came on something I brought home. And unfortunate but an issue that needs to be addressed either way.
What I had were the worst of the worst, as ed rosenthal said in a column "the worst best kept secret in marijuana."
They were root aphids. These are an especially awful problem to have because they are so hard to diagnose. After countless hors of reading, and I can post links if anyone wants to see about these pests later, what I have gathered is the following.
There are several different species of root aphids and depending on their life cycle they appear as different colors from black to white, different shapes from mites to fungus gnats and they reproduce extremely fast, efficiently, and scariest of all, asexually.
They reproduce LIVE, pregnant offspring, up to 100/week, and because they reproduce so fast, and are often misdiagnosed they can build immunities to common insecticides/pesticides extremely fast making them an extremely terrible problem.
From dealing with other pests, I have come to the conclusion the only way to conquer any pest is to use multiple chemicals with multiple applications and processes- sprays, powders, root drenched, etc.

Root aphids can be especially pesky because they attack the roots and are in the medium and if you don't run full hydro how are you going to see what's in the root bed?
Throughout their life cycle and depending on species, often they develop wings and appear as fungus gnats and because of this you can treat for fungus gnats but still get more and more issues even after they "flyers" are dead. Often if you see the flyers it's too late and your entire garden is infested. I spotted mine by peeling back the rim of my spart pot and could see tem crawling right on the inside of the lip. TINY. Fast moving. And only in the roots. Tiny white specs.

They attack the roots and suck fluid causing damage to the roots which can lead to what looks like nutrient problems and can cause these problems overnight. Literally. And this is such damage I saw in my garden. After flushing the problem got worse. I took note and added more nutrient. Problem got worse but remained the same looking.
A lot of times when reading about these pests people say cut down your garden and move on. Not true. Luckily for me I was literally at the cutoff point when I saw them to use most effective pesticides.

Here is what I did. And it is important if you have these to act extremely strong, and fast.

You have to take Ito account several different life stages of these bugs to eliminate them.
The first is the bugs in the medium.
Second is bugs in transit outside of medium but not on plant.
Third is critters that are out of the pot but on the plant. I didn't see any in my garden but does not mean they are not there.
Fourth is flyers, or bugs that are in cracks and crevasses of your grow space.

My first step was to eliminate bugs in the pots. To do so I applied Vaseline to the main stem a couple inches above the soil, and to the rim of my pots. This is to create a sticky trap to keep bugs from exiting the pot when the soil drench is applied. This product claims it's safe for use on tomatoes up to 1 day prior to harvest so I'm ok using it 4 weeks on advance. To further this I applied BAYER TOTAL INsECT CONTROL DUST to the Vaseline and the outside of the pot. It is a pyrethrin which is known to directly target aphids as well as a general solution to other bugs such as thrips and borers. It sticks well to the fabric. I do not put this into the pot as it is a very long lasting dust that is time released but as it's on the outside of the pot the water then lights through it as it's draining. Not trough it as it's soaking into the coco. This particular dust is a imidacloprid. One if the most effective on root aphids according to the uc Davis horticulture site.
I also spread the remaining dust throughout the trays. Completely covering surfaces between plants. It looks like I took bags of flour and threw them all over the garden.

My next step is a soil drench. For this I used ortho fruit and citrus insecticide. This contains .27% imidacloprid. This is harsh stuff and I would not recommend it in soil as the flushing process takes MUCH longer but full hydro or coco I think it is borderline ok at the stage of growth I am at. This chemical kills on contact as well as acting as a systemic making the plant itself toxic. The particular product I used claims to be safe up to 40 days to harvest on tomatoes and strawberries. As I have roughly 45-50 days left I am ok using this. Especially if using final phase from advanced or clearex in coco.
After watering with this that the bugs hate and kills them they go running. Running right into the dust I've spread to prevent escape.

Azadirachtin is a derivative from the neem tree. Similar to neem oil. As been is totally organic I'm ok spraying on plants in flower and even the buds. However don't do this past week 4, and also focus more on the underside of the leaves to shield the buds as much as possible. Besides, the bugs I'm fighting hang out on the underside of the leaves anyway, and my next step take care of the solitary ones on the top of he leaf. So I sprayed neem oil. One quart of solution to each tray. 1 gallon total.

My last step was to fog the room with a pyrethrim fogger. As pyrethrin evaporated much faster under his lights And is rated to be used up to 3 days before harvest I took a chance in 3 week flowering plants. This will take care of any critters hiding from plants or trays.

There is a following step that I feel is very important. After adding the drenches, and other applications I feel it is important to reboots beneficial bacteria in the root system. Do this I did a watering with full strength bio root and fox farms microb brew. This is to re establish bacteria so the roots don't succumb to disease after they were weakened by the aphids.

Like I said I was on the total cutoff point for my treatment method. One more week later would have required a totally different approach. But we are at a week after treatment with zero visuals of remaining bugs. As well as plants taking a total turn around building up at a rate beyond what they were doing before.

If plants are in veg this is an EXTrEMELY effective solution without worry of contamination of buds.
No effect on hairs everything is still white and boosting and the smell is definitely still there and pungent!!

Anyway more details coming soon...

image10844.jpg
image10845.jpg

Hey guys!
Well a quick photo update for tonight! I couldn't be happier with the treatment I used on the bugs. Knock on wood but havnt seen another single bug since treatment. The plants themselves didn't skip a beat. Part of that I attribute to re introducing the beneficial microbes back to the coco. No hairs turned colors, they have done the opposite of stunting. Literally saying thank you for getting rid of the pests. They have blasted back off and are stacking weight at a ridiculous pace.
The smell on the nightterror is something I have never smelled before. Very Hazey at first. Stinging the nostrils almost. But as soon as you breathe out the smell turns to dank, pungent, thick sweet smell of kush. Insanely complex..

Anyway they are on day 28. 4 weeks old. I can't believe how fast they came back from the bug attack. The deadheads are a little behind bouncing back than the Nt, but they are going... Anyway week 4 here we are.

Sorry about photo colors too. Tell me
If it's better or worse just tried a filter on them.
image10898.jpg
image10899.jpg
image10900.jpg
image10901.jpg
image10902.jpg
image10903.jpg

Hey everyone I promised an update and didn't deliver!!! Things have been absolutely crazy as of late between projects.
As far as the inside garden goes. 2 weeks and not a single bug moving anywhere in the room. So a success. If anyone is curious more about root aphids don't hesitate to ask. They are pesky fuckers who need to be taken very seriously.

Anyway I am at week 5 now. So over the halfway mark. I don't have but one new photo do I'm sorry!
image11123.jpg

Anyway. I have been busy with this however.

image11125.jpg
image11124.jpg
image11126.jpg

There will be an indoor update soon though!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Where can I go to get ideas for the grow room I'm building right now, from someone that knows what they are doing like you. I actually have a space with just about the same dimensions. I even boarded up and sealed the window in the space so after I get a couple grows under my belt it'll be easier to seal up for Co2. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be cool. Here's a pic of the ladies and my blank canvas area for a grow room
image23082.jpg

Back
Top Bottom