The truth about the CO2 Boost Bucket

WarBux79

When I bought my cab the guy threw in a brand new CO2 Boost Bucket and he claimed that it would increase yields up to 30% I had heard some people swear they work for smaller areas so I was happy to be getting it for free. It has been running for about 45 days when the lights are on.

While designing my new bloom room I bought the Sentinel CHHC-1 to monitor and regulate everything including CO2. I decided to do a little test and see how the Boost Bucket performs in the current grow cab.

When putting the CHHC-1 sensor below the CO2 hose the CO2 measured off the scale which is well over 1500PPM. This gave me high hopes for the CO2 Boost bucket.

The Grow Cab Dimensions: 42" tall x 36" wide x 18" deep I hung the sensor at plant level and shut the doors. The fans were turned off and I gave the cab 30 minutes to build CO2 levels up. When I came back to take a reading the CO2 measured a dismal 650PPM. I removed the sensor and took a test outside the cab and it read 553PPM.

I think one would be as well off using fans to move the air in and out constantly instead of trying to use a boost bucket to boost the amount of CO2 in the air.

I am just waiting for my regulator and new LEDs to setup a small 1 HGL light bloom area to finish my current grow before I move and setup the real thing. Needless to say I wont be using a CO2 Boost bucket ever again.

I do plan on filling the bucket with yeast and sugar water for my little veg area. I think the included pump will really help the output of the yeast method.

Bottom line I give the CO2 Boost Bucket a 2 out of 10. Cool concept but not worth the plastic its made from.

I think one would be as well off using fans to move the air in and out constantly instead of trying to use a boost bucket to boost the amount of CO2 in the air.

I do plan on filling the bucket with yeast and sugar water for my little veg area. I think the included pump will really help the output of the yeast method.

That pretty much sums it up as far as just pulling in fresh air for the CO2.:yummy:

Unless you have a LOT of plants in a close airtight area, the CO2 in fresh air being pulled in is enough. Certain applications will need supplemental CO2, but unless you are a large commercial grower, it is mostly a waste of money.:smokin:

I brew my own beer, and for the primary fermentation, it's done in a 5 gallon carboy with a airlock so CO2 can get out, but no O2 can get in. For beer anyway, it needs to sit quietly while the yeast does its thing.

What is the pump supposed to do? You don't want to add O2, and the yeast doesn't need to be agitated to do its work, so I'm a little confused about this.

Maybe for the next batch of beer, I'll feed the outflow tube from the airlock into the tent. Maybe not. LOL The amount of CO2 produced just isn't that much from what I've noticed over the years. Not from 5 gallons of wort anyway.

DD

Just fyi the co2 boost buckets have to be placed high and in entirely seeled rooms . Remember CO2 is heavier than air and falls so if its not situated above the sensor you probably wont get any readings at all. Im not here to say they work or not but mine did work for my small area and kept the room close to 1000ppms which really helped. This was a long time ago when they first appeared on the market though, and Im not sure if they are the same as they used to be. Also the stuff inside is a fungus that feeds on the nutrients in the bucket. Its much like growing mushrooms in your growing area, mushrooms take in oxygen and expell CO2 in pretty large quantities actually. If you fine tune it the concept is really great.

The CO2 tube is situated over my plants on the light and the co2 sensor was at plant level. I am sure in a small sealed area it would raise the CO2 but if you have a sealed growing area and you are not running a co2 gen or co2 bottle then your just asking for harm to come to your plants.

Actually brewing beer next to your plants wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Your already making the CO2 so why not use it. The pump is to force the CO2 out. The CO2 Boost Bucket is not yeast its something else and I believe the pump agitates the mixture.

If you want to go this route consider making mead. The honey used to make mead breaks down much more slowly than other carbos used to make fermented beverages.

I'm in agreement with Green Island re: the boosters. I've been a "boostie" for years and have learned not to overreact regarding ppm levels. I don't even take readings anymore bc that's not how some of these products work. They don't fill up your room with Co2, but they certainly fill up your plants.. okay so here's my two cents: run the hose directly to your plants, give it three weeks.. you'll be blown away. I have a 4x6 space and I swear by these things.

wouldnt it be easier to get a block of dry ice at the genardis and place it in a bucket of water hanging from the celing ? bet it would work better and a 10lb block in 60 deg water will last for 12 hrs or so and boost co2 levels. the genardis near me charges 99c a lb of dry ice its in the cooler next to the regular ice. Not sure what they charge for co2 refills at the gas place but my buddie bought a compressor that he used to fill up a paint ball tanks with. i remember they would charge u 10-15 $ at the army navy store

In rebuttal to the CO2 Boost Bucket, I've used one bucket on every crop since the end of 08' and there's nothing better! No hassels, no bottles to be filled, no meters nothing except my quarter inch hose from the pump placed behind one of my fans blowing directly on my crop from above. True, I'm not a commercial grower, but for what I yield per hydro unit I don't have to be. I have plenty of fresh air exchange an still average around 700ppm of CO2. The product works for me an it must work for others cause their about ready to price themselves out of existance. That's my only gripe with the units. To each their own. Happy gardening!:amen:

WoW found a new site that has the Boost Buckets priced right! Time to stock up on the units because their so easy to use and works great for me!

interesting.. sounds like for pretty small areas it works ok, for larger, maybe not so good.

@ norml
Check out this site:
www.co2generator.org

The guy shows the comparison in growth between one hydro set up with Co2 Boost and then one with out. It'll give you a pretty good idea on how well it works. I have picked up some pretty good info from the site.

I'm not pushing these things or anything, I am just curious if anybody has tried these co2 bags??

ExHale CO2 Bags

I've tried them. I put one in my tent with a 400w bulb and a single auto-flower (Big Bang Auto). I set it directly above a recirculating fan near the top of the tent to let the CO2 drop in vicinity of fan before being "blown" toward plant, if that makes sense.

I did no scientific testing or measuring, but this auto-flower yielded 4.7z dried, which I gather is pretty damned good yield for an auto-flower, and one of the best yields I've had indoors for any plant, though I've typically grown in compact environments.

Look, I don't measure the PPM's, and I have no good knowledge of how these work, but decided to try it after hearing a positive buzz from a few people I know locally.

After seeing such amazing growth on the auto-flower, I have 2 of the Exhale bags in my tent now. Maybe it's a coincidence that I had the good initial results, but their cheap to buy and I'm not taking chances. The plants I'm vegging right now, first multi-plant grow with the Exhale, vegged like crazy and are really full and lush as they start flowering.

There is a link to the Big Bang Auto grow in my signature if anyone is curious, as well as my current grow - both using Exhale CO2. Hope this helps someone, though I know I'm responding to an older post!

Back
Top Bottom