TheFOG's First Hydro Grow - LadyLavenberry Journal 2012

TheFOG

Hello Folks, new member, first indoor grow ever. Figured I'd share it with you all instead of just lurking all the time and trying to figure it out on my own!!

Big thanks in advance for any and all help.

Strain- LadyLavenberry - GROWN FROM SEED
Hybrid 70% indica 30% sativa
2nd week of Veg
Hydro grow-------------
4x4x6.5 tent
1 400w HPS and 1 150w HPS (some equipment i bought cheap from a friend)
Tent running between 77-81 F RH between 40-45%
PH @ 6.0
Running Advanced Nutes Sensi Grow A and B with B52 and Voodoo Juice
# of plants 16 (i just popped all but 10 of the Lavenberry seeds I acquired)

2 totes, I added the second one after it was already apparent I would need another... total moron move, I had already put multiple plants in a cpl of the net pots in first tote.

I need to get a digital camera, a carbon filter, an inline fan and was planning on grabbing a 1000W HPS for flower. Also maybe some kind of homemade Co2 system, if they work. I have read some data on some experiments a guy somewhere was running.

My leafs were doing weird shit at first. I read up on it and thought maybe that since the roots had moved into the res solution through the pots that it was being overfed through the pump system I had setup when I first set the cubes into the net pots. This seems to have helped some, but I'm not 100% sure yet what the issue is.

I also probably put too strong of nutes in the first week, even though I went way less than the bottle suggested. This caused a bit of burn on the first leaves.

Here's a couple of crappy pics taken with my phone

IMG_20120826_174738.jpg
IMG_20120823_130409.jpg

Starting to see a bit of yellowing in one or two of the plants as far as leaves go. Looking for lots of help and advice on this grow. I know my phone camera sucks, but I'll be picking up a digital camera in the near future so your expert eyes can see what's going on during my grow.

I love reading all of the great info on here and thought, instead of just lurking, why not share this first grow with the community!

Hello Folks, new member, first indoor grow ever. Figured I'd share it with you all instead of just lurking all the time and trying to figure it out on my own!!

Big thanks in advance for any and all help.

Strain- LadyLavenberry - GROWN FROM SEED
Hybrid 70% indica 30% sativa
2nd week of Veg
Hydro grow-------------
4x4x6.5 tent
1 400w HPS and 1 150w HPS (some equipment i bought cheap from a friend)
Tent running between 77-81 F RH between 40-45%
PH @ 6.0
Running Advanced Nutes Sensi Grow A and B with B52 and Voodoo Juice
# of plants 16 (i just popped all but 10 of the Lavenberry seeds I acquired)

2 totes, I added the second one after it was already apparent I would need another... total moron move, I had already put multiple plants in a cpl of the net pots in first tote.

I need to get a digital camera, a carbon filter, an inline fan and was planning on grabbing a 1000W HPS for flower. Also maybe some kind of homemade Co2 system, if they work. I have read some data on some experiments a guy somewhere was running.

My leafs were doing weird shit at first. I read up on it and thought maybe that since the roots had moved into the res solution through the pots that it was being overfed through the pump system I had setup when I first set the cubes into the net pots. This seems to have helped some, but I'm not 100% sure yet what the issue is.

I also probably put too strong of nutes in the first week, even though I went way less than the bottle suggested. This caused a bit of burn on the first leaves.

Here's a couple of crappy pics taken with my phone

IMG_20120826_174738.jpg
IMG_20120823_130409.jpg

I see every net pot with a plant in it....Because you want bushy, full plants, you should only grow two or three plants in that system rather than six. Make sure to keep the empty net pots full of grow rocks or cover them so no light gets in and causes algae or root rot. Keep the lights close, but not so close that you fry the tops of your plants. Monitor and adjust nutrients and ph as needed. Change the systems water every 7-10 days. I use the nutes from Stealth, but use GH Grow and Bloom formulas for keeping the reservoir full. As your plants mature you will need to add about a gallon a day. When you switch to bloom cycle, make sure you flush the system and drain it and THEN add the bloom nutes. It looks as if the plants are already saying MORE NUTES PLEASE? Good luck....there is a picture of my two current stealth plants in my gallery.

I see every net pot with a plant in it....Because you want bushy, full plants, you should only grow two or three plants in that system rather than six. Make sure to keep the empty net pots full of grow rocks or cover them so no light gets in and causes algae or root rot. Keep the lights close, but not so close that you fry the tops of your plants. Monitor and adjust nutrients and ph as needed. Change the systems water every 7-10 days. I use the nutes from Stealth, but use GH Grow and Bloom formulas for keeping the reservoir full. As your plants mature you will need to add about a gallon a day. When you switch to bloom cycle, make sure you flush the system and drain it and THEN add the bloom nutes. It looks as if the plants are already saying MORE NUTES PLEASE? Good luck....there is a picture of my two current stealth plants in my gallery.

Are they beggin for more nutes? I used very light strength of the Sensi Grow Part B this week because I felt as though they got a bit of nitro burn from the first weeks nutes. I wasn't sure, so you think I should put some more Part B in the RES then?

Also, the reason why all the net pots are full is because I have no idea which will be ladies and which will not at this point in time. I figured I should probably sprout more than I wanted to grow, figuring there would be some males in the bunch!

Once the plant declares itself pull the males before they have a chance for the pollen sacks to open. When you know you have a good female, clone her and keep her in a vegitative state so that you will always have females. I have had the misfortune of thinking I had a female when I had a hermaphrodite. I let her go to seed anyway and tried some of those seeds and damned if I didn't get another hermi so I gave up on those. I do have some clones I got at the co-op that are doing well, but my girls outside are 4th generation and the inside clones I have are 5th gen. I actually have had better luck outside than inside as my gallery will show. GOOD LUCK!

Once the plant declares itself pull the males before they have a chance for the pollen sacks to open. When you know you have a good female, clone her and keep her in a vegitative state so that you will always have females. I have had the misfortune of thinking I had a female when I had a hermaphrodite. I let her go to seed anyway and tried some of those seeds and damned if I didn't get another hermi so I gave up on those. I do have some clones I got at the co-op that are doing well, but my girls outside are 4th generation and the inside clones I have are 5th gen. I actually have had better luck outside than inside as my gallery will show. GOOD LUCK!

Yes, I planned on waiting for them to show their sex then remove males and decide which females I will use for mothers.

Also, I read the feed chart wrong at AN and did need to add some nutes last nite.

Anybody have any suggestions or where I can get a carbon filter, fan combo for a 4x4x6 tent, fairly affordable? Just trying to estimate the rest of the equipment costs that will be associated with this grow.

Hi mate; Could be worth getting an EC pen and then you can make sure you're feeding the right amount of nutrients. I'm using the same system too (well, I copied the Stealth system) and I've got mine up to an EC of 1.3 at the moment (it's just under half manufacturer's recommended ml/l, and I'm using Canna, not AN). I got an EC pen from eBay for quite cheap. My plant's nine days old from when it sprouted so a week or so behind yours (and it's an auto so I'm going particulalry light on the nutes anyway) but I plan to increase the concentration again at the end of Week 2 so it's up to around 1.5. I don't know about AN, but Canna do personalised feeding charts on their website which you can input your reservoir size, tap water EC and how heavy you want to feed and it will give you a feeding schedule - might be worth looking at AN's site and seeing if they do something similar - from my limited experience what's included on the bottle really doesn't give any kind of a feeding schedule and doesn't take into account where the plant is in its life cycle, it's just a maximum recommended amount)

I wouldn't worry about the roots growing through the net pot and into the reservoir - that's a good thing. Just make sure they don't tangle your pump up and stop it from working.

I've also found eBay to be very good and if you spend some time looking you can get a lot of the stuff you're after much cheaper than from a hydro store

Good luck!

Hi mate; Could be worth getting an EC pen and then you can make sure you're feeding the right amount of nutrients. I'm using the same system too (well, I copied the Stealth system) and I've got mine up to an EC of 1.3 at the moment (it's just under half manufacturer's recommended ml/l, and I'm using Canna, not AN). I got an EC pen from eBay for quite cheap. My plant's nine days old from when it sprouted so a week or so behind yours (and it's an auto so I'm going particulalry light on the nutes anyway) but I plan to increase the concentration again at the end of Week 2 so it's up to around 1.5. I don't know about AN, but Canna do personalised feeding charts on their website which you can input your reservoir size, tap water EC and how heavy you want to feed and it will give you a feeding schedule - might be worth looking at AN's site and seeing if they do something similar - from my limited experience what's included on the bottle really doesn't give any kind of a feeding schedule and doesn't take into account where the plant is in its life cycle, it's just a maximum recommended amount)

I wouldn't worry about the roots growing through the net pot and into the reservoir - that's a good thing. Just make sure they don't tangle your pump up and stop it from working.

I've also found eBay to be very good and if you spend some time looking you can get a lot of the stuff you're after much cheaper than from a hydro store

Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I too made these bubblepon units at home. I was just looking at a catalog last nite thinking about an affordable ph meter that tests ppm and res temp too. I will have to check ebay out I suppose.

AN does have a feeding chart that does the calculations for you. What's funny is, I was sooo heavily medicated when I first read the chart, I simply read it wrong. Sooooo when Hozona commented that it looked like they were nute starved I went back to check the chart... yeah, I had to make some corrections. We will see how they respond.

Thanks again for sharing my grow with me. I will have to check yours out.

No worries mate; I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress with your grow- I'm using basically the same system but it's my first time so I'm sure they'll be plenty of useful tips that crop up during your grow that I'll be able to shamelessly apply to my own!!

I'm sure with the corrections they'll respond pretty quick - I think that's one of the advantages with hydro; whilst any problems can jump out quite fast, the plants can respond just as quickly to the solutions

The plants seem to have responded well to the correct nute change. I will try and post some pictures over the weekend.

So here are some week 4 photos.... I'm about to switch over to my flower nutes. I'm running sensi grow part a and b from advanced nutrients with voodoo juice and B52. I was going to run Advanced Nutrients sensi Bloom A and B and Overload and Big Bud? Do I also want to throw some Bud Candy in there at some point too? Just looking for some quick advice before I buy this stuff in the next day or two. Also, do I run straight water, or a clean through the system, for an extended period of time before switching to flower nutes?

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom