Thoughts, comments: entering week 3 bloom

never thought i'd see someone young enough to claim decade old seeds as "old school" ... :rofl:
Well I’ll be mid/late 30s this year…. IMO, the Preemo Early 2000s strains, that were still F1 or minimally crossed, I feel can claim “old school”…. Im not speaking of panama red, thai stick, Acapulco Gold, blonde Lebanese(thats a complete different “world” of cannabis… Im speaking of strains that still floated around like Maui Wowi, Afghan(Afghani), Haze phenos, and original Skunk phenos, true true original Blueberry, Northern Lights(F1)… closest strains to landrace and F1 hybrids(inbreeds) ….. Ive watched the progression of strains and relentless iterations that have completely wiped out the landrace type strains… I don’t claim to speak on anyones behalf but myself… but the “old school” reference I feel is fair given my age and the state of cannabis in that era…
Happy Grows fellas and ladies

Kai

Well I’ll be mid/late 30s this year…. IMO, the Preemo Early 2000s strains, that were still F1 or minimally crossed, I feel can claim “old school”…. Im not speaking of panama red, thai stick, Acapulco Gold, blonde Lebanese(thats a complete different “world” of cannabis… Im speaking of strains that still floated around like Maui Wowi, Afghan(Afghani), Haze phenos, and original Skunk phenos, true true original Blueberry, Northern Lights(F1)… closest strains to landrace and F1 hybrids(inbreeds) ….. Ive watched the progression of strains and relentless iterations that have completely wiped out the landrace type strains… I don’t claim to speak on anyones behalf but myself… but the “old school” reference I feel is fair given my age and the state of cannabis in that era…
Happy Grows fellas and ladies

Kai

none of those things are considered old and most are in common rotation here. i started growing in the late 70's / early 80's.

anything haze in particular would be considered current, not land race at all.

I agree with you. Growers started breeding the humulene terpene out and replaced it with a more linalool/ myrcene profile in the late 80's in conjunction with mandatory minimum sentencing for MJ. Thanks Nancy Regan.

doesn't really make sense. none of that happened here. the explosion in strains came in lockstep with the expansion of information availability and market access. the advance of the internet through the 80's and 90's caused it to explode exponentially.

a significant portion the first underground chat and sales sites were devoted to cannabis and seeds / breeding. it was the first time we could all talk to each other and trade info and genetics. previous to that we all worked shut off from each other, independently trying to make progress on our own. that ended dramatically by the early 90's, and seed production went up massively, it was the first time the general public had access without fear of being prosecuted.

i sold seed in the 80's / 90's. i was one of the few people in my area who did. you had to know folk in the industry directly to do so safely. everything was a first name basis. the internet changed all that.

doesn't really make sense. none of that happened here. the explosion in strains came in lockstep with the expansion of information availability and market access. the advance of the internet through the 80's and 90's caused it to explode exponentially.

a significant portion the first underground chat and sales sites were devoted to cannabis and seeds / breeding. it was the first time we could all talk to each other and trade info and genetics. previous to that we all worked shut off from each other, independently trying to make progress on our own. that ended dramatically by the early 90's, and seed production went up massively, it was the first time the general public had access without fear of being prosecuted.

i sold seed in the 80's / 90's. i was one of the few people in my area who did. you had to know folk in the industry directly to do so safely. everything was a first name basis. the internet changed all that.
Where is "here?" and I'm not talking about a explosion, I'm talking about a loss of certain profiles.

In “common rotation” sure… but they have been crossed to the 10th degree. Im not going to quarrel on what someone considers old or not.. Its not a contest in my world…
The point is everything has breed over and over and over again… Haze is a product of Thai race… so to tell me that “Haze” is something recent… well that’s your opinion

Where is "here?" and I'm not talking about a explosion, I'm talking about a loss

the loss you refer too was through a market expansion selling direct to consumer for the first time. it was a market driven change.

this was about the same time we started seeing fem seeds and first few auto as well.

here is western canada. for a while i was based in alberta/bc as well. i used to make 3 trips a yr to bc for genetics. when i started you had a choice of regs, or regs lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

In “common rotation” sure… but they have been crossed to the 10th degree. Im not going to quarrel on what someone considers old or not.. Its not a contest in my world…

many in bc still use good genetics. there's a couple in particular,i'm not sure i can mention under board rules.
there's others based in humboldt still have access to old genetics. if you are in the US, that's where i'd look. they are out there.

The point is everything has breed over and over and over again… Haze is a product of Thai race… so to tell me that “Haze” is something recent… well that’s your opinion

look at the number of breeders and seedbanks today. anyone banging plants together is tossing a website up and selling seed these days. the expansion in the number of guys selling up here is ridiculous.

the loss you refer too was through a market expansion selling direct to consumer for the first time. it was a market driven change.

this was about the same time we started seeing fem seeds and first few auto as well.

here is western canada. for a while i was based in alberta/bc as well. i used to make 3 trips a yr to bc for genetics. when i started you had a choice of regs, or regs lol :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thank you for your perspective, I enjoy seeing what it was like for someone in another country. What I saw here in the Southwestern US at that time was a active militaristic attempt to destroy anything cannabis related. While I agree the dawn of the interwebs spurred huge growth for the industry, culture and strains, at the same time indoor growing became needed and the need to conceal the indoor grow with less pungent and more fruity scents became a matter of 25 to life.

5x2wbjba22g71.jpg

Thank you for your perspective, I enjoy seeing what it was like for someone in another country. What I saw here in the Southwestern US at that time was a active militaristic attempt to destroy anything cannabis related. While I agree the dawn of the interwebs spurred huge growth for the industry, culture and strains, at the same time indoor growing became needed and the need to conceal the indoor grow with less pungent and more fruity scents became a matter of 25 to life.

5x2wbjba22g71.jpg

yeah, the US took a decidedly different approach. ffs you guys had paraquat spraying zealots, we never had to deal with that.

the first big change here was hydro. well before internet. that actually formed in the 70's, and took off massive in the 80's. in 82 i sold nothing but ground grown mostly landrace. by 84 i exclusively sold hydro indoor and nothing else.

the hydro was also all domestic production, whereas most of what we rolled pre-82 was primarily imported. at the same time the reagan drug war was in full swing, and shit like crack exploded huge as a direct result.

yeah, the US took a decidedly different approach. ffs you guys had paraquat spraying zealots, we never had to deal with that.

the first big change here was hydro. well before internet. that actually formed in the 70's, and took off massive in the 80's. in 82 i sold nothing but ground grown mostly landrace. by 84 i exclusively sold hydro indoor and nothing else.

the hydro was also all domestic production, whereas most of what we rolled pre-82 was primarily imported. at the same time the reagan drug war was in full swing, and shit like crack exploded huge as a direct result.
That's how I first learnt in the mid 90's. Was mentored into the family business by my soon to be father in law when I was 17 and everything was Hydro, Hydro, Hydro. If you didn't grow hydro you were just a dumb carrot farmer :)

racism in vegas .... :cheesygrinsmiley:

That's how I first learnt in the mid 90's. Was mentored into the family business by my soon to be father in law when I was 17 and everything was Hydro, Hydro, Hydro. If you didn't grow hydro you were just a dumb carrot farmer

similar story but it was my cousins in the 70's lol. i'm just a home grower now. we got med licensing for over a decade in the 2000's, but they only allowed indoor,and made it impossible to maintain by the time legal hit.

i have a fam who spent time. i got lucky. we all lived under a scope for a while.

Back
Top Bottom