Timer won't start 400W HPS

Says 8.6A......

I'd contact manufacturer assuming

A simple lamp plugged into timer works
Ballast/light plugged into wall works normally
Ballast/light won't start on either timer

Also, we assume no other items are plugged into the timer, correct?

It must be pulling more than 15a at start-up or something

Kinda strange

Says 8.6A......

I'd contact manufacturer assuming

A simple lamp plugged into timer works
Ballast/light plugged into wall works normally
Ballast/light won't start on either timer

Also, we assume no other items are plugged into the timer, correct?

It must be pulling more than 15a at start-up or something

Kinda strange

Its really wierd.
yes only the ballast is plugged into the timer.
Also, the timer is the only thing plugged into the outlet.

frankffs: I don't think you ever answered my question: Does a regular old desk lamp light up when plugged into the timer?

If it does (and I'll bet it will) and the ballast doesn't, than this must be one of those rare cases (as Pantagruel has already seen) in which the more complicated answer is the correct one.

I'll go on to guess that the ballast has "high in-rush current"--that at start-up the circuit is probably charging a big capacitor and so for just an instant trying to greedily suck in a really big spike of current that the timer can't provide, and that the digital ballast is either smart enough to detect a fault or fussy enough that it craps out if its needs aren't met.

I see a contact address at the ballast manufacturer's website. I'd contact them about this.

frankffs: I don't think you ever answered my question: Does a regular old desk lamp light up when plugged into the timer?

If it does (and I'll bet it will) and the ballast doesn't, than this must be one of those rare cases (as Pantagruel has already seen) in which the more complicated answer is the correct one.

I'll go on to guess that the ballast has "high in-rush current"--that at start-up the circuit is probably charging a big capacitor and so for just an instant trying to greedily suck in a really big spike of current that the timer can't provide, and that the digital ballast is either smart enough to detect a fault or fussy enough that it craps out if its needs aren't met.

I see a contact address at the ballast manufacturer's website. I'd contact them about this.
Ditto ditto

Sure enough, I googled ballast does not work with timer and found that others have had this same problem. You need a heavier duty timer.

And I need to get to work. :p
Exactly what I was thinking

I googled, but on my phone....lol...no success

Atta boy Scientific!!!!

Are there any better timers for this then?

I'm sure there are timers out there that can switch industrial size loads if you're willing to pay the price. ;)

If I were you, I'd look at the threads that come up with the google search and see what they did and/or get a recommendation from the manufacturer.

I'm sure there are timers out there that can switch industrial size loads if you're willing to pay the price. ;)

If I were you, I'd look at the threads that come up with the google search and see what they did and/or get a recommendation from the manufacturer.

What about this one?
it goes up to 40A.
T101 INTERMATIC
T101 - Intermatic

40 amps per pole looks good, but holy moly, they're not exactly giving those things away, are they?! ($76 at Home Depot)

I'd wait to see what the ballast manufacturer recommends.

40 amps per pole looks good, but holy moly, they're not exactly giving those things away, are they?! ($76 at Home Depot)

I'd wait to see what the ballast manufacturer recommends.

here in canada its 109$
I'm going to the hydroponic store this evening with the timer and the ballast. If the ballast is the problem i'll buy a new one, if its the timer i'll get the 109$ one.

Sure enough, I googled ballast does not work with timer and found that others have had this same problem. You need a heavier duty timer.

And I need to get to work. :p

NO, he needs a inductive load mechanical contactor or relay, of the right amperage .

electronic timers usually have a flimsy relay inside , sometimes it can work for awhile.

Some mechanical timers (made for hid ) will work without a contactor , most not though.

with electronic balasts you may get around with just a timer but that's not the case with an old style balast , that's going to fry any contacts that are not made for high inductive loads .

don't trust me, google it.

you can wire just about any cheapo timer with a good mechanical contactor (or more of them) and have a pretty reliable setup .
din-rail-schakelklok-digitaal-mueller-sc-2813-pro-230-vac-16-a250-v.jpg

bescherming-1-stuks-223202304340-finder-2x-no-230-vdc-230-vac-25-a.jpg

you can buy some timers for din rails and with more than one Chanel , also contactors can drive 1,2,3 fase circuits

I prefer to stay away from the overpraised hydro shop s... this is cheaper and much better

Back
Top Bottom