Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

I called Titan about there Oceanus and they were extremely helpful. They told me to feed them breakfast lunch and dinner. I have been doing that and it seems to be working good but I have been wondering if one or two more floods a day would be better because I always worry about the water that is left in the bottom of the buckets, that bugs me. Would like to refresh that water more often. I have the plants in the room lifted up a little higher then the control bucket. So it will drain more water, some is still left in the bottom it did help though. its getting to the point where the roots are touching that water at the bottom of each bucket (4 weeks veg). Also has any one else noticed how bad the buckets are at blocking light. I love the system don't get me wrong but i think i would like to customize it a little. Some things I want to do.... light proofing the buckets, figure out a way to make the buckets drain more or at least make it so the drain pump does not have to cycle on and off over and over before it is done draining, add a pump to circulate the res water, get a chiller, find a good way to tie the plants down to the bucket (I do LST), put in a place to easily connect a hose when filling the res, also a easy way to connect a hose to drain the res thinking a hose permanently connected to the very bottom of the res that i could run a hose to connect with a then open a valve to drain... some things I have done... upgraded the hosing the runs to the buckets did not like the stiffness of the stuff that came with the system, used a hot water heater blanket in insulate the res, works great.

I called Titan about there Oceanus and they were extremely helpful. They told me to feed them breakfast lunch and dinner. I have been doing that and it seems to be working good but I have been wondering if one or two more floods a day would be better because I always worry about the water that is left in the bottom of the buckets, that bugs me. Would like to refresh that water more often. I have the plants in the room lifted up a little higher then the control bucket. So it will drain more water, some is still left in the bottom it did help though. its getting to the point where the roots are touching that water at the bottom of each bucket (4 weeks veg). Also has any one else noticed how bad the buckets are at blocking light. I love the system don't get me wrong but i think i would like to customize it a little. Some things I want to do.... light proofing the buckets, figure out a way to make the buckets drain more or at least make it so the drain pump does not have to cycle on and off over and over before it is done draining, add a pump to circulate the res water, get a chiller, find a good way to tie the plants down to the bucket (I do LST), put in a place to easily connect a hose when filling the res, also a easy way to connect a hose to drain the res thinking a hose permanently connected to the very bottom of the res that i could run a hose to connect with a then open a valve to drain... some things I have done... upgraded the hosing the runs to the buckets did not like the stiffness of the stuff that came with the system, used a hot water heater blanket in insulate the res, works great.

I found Titan to be very helpful as well. I flooded 4 times a day in veg, but 3 is probably plenty. I never had any issues with the water in the bottom of the buckets. Also, I understand what you are saying about light, but in my first grow the roots were always bright white and healthy when the net pot was lifted out. As of right now, I have zero concern over light or the water in the buckets. I intentionally did nothing about the water in the bottom of the buckets, and had no problems - at least with the flood cycles I ran.

I keep my reservoir outside of the tent, in a room that is about 68-70f. Perhaps because the nutrient solution is spending limited time in the tent where it could possibly heat up, I had no issues with nutrient temps. In fact, I consider this one advantage this style has for me over DWC... If I were to do DWC the way I'd like, I think I'd need a chiller. But, I see zero need for it now because I'm able to keep the nutrients outside the tent the vast majority of the time... and cool without needing to be chilled. Not everyone has a 68f room, though, so I can envision someone needing a chiller perhaps. But, I doubt it would ever be quite as essential as it might for DWC. I did nothing but DWC until the Flo N Gro.

Draining the reservoir can be a pain. I made my own from Rubbermaid garbage bins, and I have 2 of them. While one is in use, I clean the other one, and fill it with RO water in preparation for the next weekly reservoir change. When I go to change the reservoir, I add nutrients to the reservoir with plain water, switch lids so that the "active" lid is on the newly mixed reservoir. I have utility carpet where the reservoirs are kept, and I have little teflon sliders on the bottom of them. When I want to empty one, I slide it to my utility sink, and scoop out the majority from the bin to the sink with a small bucket, until the whole thing is light enough to be dumped into the sink. It's not nearly as labor intensive as it sounds, in fact it takes about a minute. Once it's emptied, I clean it and start the cycle over. Everybody's situation is unique, but mine usually have ~20 gallons or so, and that system works for me.

I fill my reservoirs through an RO unit, and I use a float valve attached to my reservoir to shut it off when it's full. Was simple and works great if you have an RO system. At least it does with my homemade reservoirs.

For draining, a great way to go might be a bulkhead kit of some sort (they use them in boats for drainage and aquariums, etc.) in the bottom of the reservoir with a hose/tubing and a valve coming out of it for draining. I've done this before with Rubbermaid tote reservoirs for draining and it works slick.
Like this kinda:
Bulkhead Kit

Oh, and I do put a small water pump in the bottom of the "active" reservoir that just churns the nutrient solution continuously. I think this is another way that would help avoid a chiller perhaps, too. I don't think airstones in the reservoir are a good idea, nor do I think they are necessary in the bottom of the buckets to aerate that standing water. I do like the idea of keeping the nutrients recirculated and the pump churning thing has worked great. I just dangle it into the bottom of the reservoir through a hole in the lid that has a gasket to keep the light out.

That standing water in the bottom of the buckets serves a purpose, too, and it's intentional. If you have a power outage, it'll potentially save your bacon - which is why it's really like that. With even the recommended amount of flood cycles, I don't believe it will effect them -- it didn't mine.

For LST - I use those metal clips that clip paper, but are kinda like a chip clip - I clip them to the edges of the pots, attach twist ties or string, and LST that way. Seems to work pretty well.

Sorry for rambling, but I had a real smooth run with this and didn't see any problems from the issues you're worried about. Lightproofing might not be a bad idea, but I didn't have issues with that or the water in the bottom. Check out the grow I did with it if you haven't - link is in my signature. Sorry it's a bit long, but you can see some of the results at around page 89 or so if I remember correctly. :goodluck:

I did a couple of things to solve a few of those issues. I went and bought a utility sub pump and a garden hose. When I need to pump the old water/nutes out it will go straight to the bathtub. I went to Home depot and got an adapter for our bathroom faucet and can run the hose from there into the grow room and fill the res. I wi;; also be putting my buckets on 2x4 blocks to get it a lil higher so it will drain better.

I'm with XLR8, the water in the bottom serves a purpose, the hydroton doesn't hold much if any water/nutes. The water in the bottom is how the plant goes 3 or 4 hours until the next flood. We have a sump pump/hose combo too for emptying the drums (we have 3 of them), just move from drum to drum when needed. If your res is kept cool, you don't need to chill it. The aeration and circulation happen everytime you flood.

Our RO system feeds another 55 gal drum mounted up high. It has a hose bibb mounted on the side/bottom which allows us to draw water off using no pump. Each res needs about 4 gallons a day to keep topped up.

I'm with XLR8, the water in the bottom serves a purpose, the hydroton doesn't hold much if any water/nutes. The water in the bottom is how the plant goes 3 or 4 hours until the next flood. We have a sump pump/hose combo too for emptying the drums (we have 3 of them), just move from drum to drum when needed. If your res is kept cool, you don't need to chill it. The aeration and circulation happen everytime you flood.

Our RO system feeds another 55 gal drum mounted up high. It has a hose bibb mounted on the side/bottom which allows us to draw water off using no pump. Each res needs about 4 gallons a day to keep topped up.

I appreciate you adding that OG. Honestly IF I was concerned about the water/nutes in the bottom of the bucket (as mentioned I like it and see it more as a feature not a negative)... I think I would put a small airstone in each one before I'd elevate it. That's not meant as a knock to Alaska1 or anyone else (a lot of growers elevate the buckets with systems like this it seems).

A good tip I've heard for shimming them if your floor isn't level: floor tiles.

I checked my roots in the Flo N Gro frequently my first run with it, and without exception they always looked brilliant white and vigorously healthy, including the considerable root mass that hung out the bottom into the bottom of the bucket.

Ya I was kinda thinking that water in the bottom might be useful but I was just worried about it being in there warming up. I do have a problem with heat in my room not to bad highs of 83 usually around 80 or less. I guess its better to have that water in there keeping things moist. I know I over think things but my res is a little slimy sometimes and i am trying to think of why, any ideas? I like the idea of using a pump to pump the water out. I am worried about installing a valve on the bottom of a 55 gallon drum. I am sure it would be fine but after my first flooding of the bed room the system is in(my fault) I get a little nerves about anything that could leak! although that was probably something like what I would have ended up doing. I will try the pump idea first i think. i knew I had seen something to connect a hose to a facet but could not remember where. I hate asking people at hardware stores for anything there first response is always "what are you building?", I always have fake projects in my head before entering the store. Not to sure how to explain hooking a hose to a faucet. Xlr8 I am reading your grow but its a long one and I don't want to speed through it very impressed keep up the good work oh and I have some pics of my babies if u don't mind me sharing them on here not ready to start my own journal don't have the time but would love to see what any one thinks

noknowcure said:
Ya I was kinda thinking that water in the bottom might be useful but I was just worried about it being in there warming up. I do have a problem with heat in my room not to bad highs of 83 usually around 80 or less. I guess its better to have that water in there keeping things moist. I know I over think things but my res is a little slimy sometimes and i am trying to think of why, any ideas? I like the idea of using a pump to pump the water out. I am worried about installing a valve on the bottom of a 55 gallon drum. I am sure it would be fine but after my first flooding of the bed room the system is in(my fault) I get a little nerves about anything that could leak! although that was probably something like what I would have ended up doing. I will try the pump idea first i think. i knew I had seen something to connect a hose to a facet but could not remember where. I hate asking people at hardware stores for anything there first response is always "what are you building?", I always have fake projects in my head before entering the store. Not to sure how to explain hooking a hose to a faucet. Xlr8 I am reading your grow but its a long one and I don't want to speed through it very impressed keep up the good work oh and I have some pics of my babies if u don't mind me sharing them on here not ready to start my own journal don't have the time but would love to see what any one thinks

Sometimes they get a little slimy, remember that the plants are expelling waste back to the reservoir, too. Unless your plants are unhealthy, you're probably okay. I do weekly reservoir changes, and at least every 2 weeks is ideal.

I don't use the drum for a reservoir, but I agree that the pump sounds like a good way to go.

I hook a hose to my faucet for washing my dog. ;)

Sometimes I just say, "I'm kinda in a hurry, do you have what I'm looking for - not to be rude..."

Thanks for the kind words. Would love to see your garden! Bring on the pics if you want! :)

014322.JPG

027115.JPG

029109.JPG

016266.JPG

Some pics of my lady's! hope you all enjoy. 11 mendo skunk(mendo purps X skunk #1) and one kushberry(I think its OG kush X blueberry). Just finished 5 weeks of veg and have been in flowering for a few days now. there under two 1000w HPS lights. In a 6x8 room I built in a spare bed room. that gives each plant 4 square feet to grow. no topping LST only. I tried to LST the kushberry but it said no so I tied it down the best I could and put it in the corner so the lights will not burn it. This is the first grow in this room, this system, and with all new nutes so it has been a crazy run but I am loving it. Let me know what you all think.

XL said: Make sure to drill a 1/8" hole in the "flood" fitting in the reservoir above where it connects to the hose. This is essential or you will flood your growspace. Without this a siphon is created and it will continue to flood after pump shuts off. *Please let me know if you have questions about this, it's really important to do this right, but not easy to explain in shorthand*.

I am putting together a small flo & gro system similiar to how you set up yours. I purchased the expansion set and titan controller and purchase all other items separately. I don't quite understand what you mean about drilling a 1/8 hole in the flood fitting. Can you please explain it to me. Thank you Rosebud1:thedoubletake:

First of all - cool! I really like my system, it's really low maintenance while still being extremely effective. Hopefully yours works well for you.

I'll do my best to explain. Just tried to do the same for Alaskan1 a page or two back, so I'm going to re-post part of that post. Let me know if you are still unsure and I'll see what I can do to explain better. I'm happy to help if I can! :goodluck:

If you are making a custom version of this, similar to me, then yes - you'll need to drill a hole in the fitting as mentioned. If you have one from them, they should have already done this.

Basically, the hole goes in the FILL fitting that connects the pump in the reservoir, to the lid of the reservoir - mine looks like this:

halfinchconnect.jpg

The pump in the bottom of the reservoir has a (1/2" I think?) tube connected to it, that goes to this fitting. The hose connects over the barb on the fitting, and slides, normally, until it is snug against the hex shaped center part of the fitting. I leave a very small space between that edge and the hose, and drill a 1/8" hole into the fitting right under the hex head that the tubing would normally push up to. This is on the underneath side of the reservoir.

If done correctly, when you operate the system as it fills the buckets, a small stream/trickle of water actually spits back into the reservoir at the same time from the small hole. Make sure your lid seals good or aim the trickle so it doesn't leak onto your floor (happened to me at first).

Without this hole, the siphon action created by initially pumping the water will continue to flood even after the brain bucket tells it to stop, and you'll have a flood in your growspace. I don't know how to explain this better at the moment, so let me know if this still leaves questions and I'll try again, no prob. If needed I can try taking a photo, just let me know, it's no prob.

I'll keep a better eye on this thread and answer any more questions, here or in my journal, that you might have. I'm happy to help, honestly, if I can! :)

I hope this helps, and :goodluck:

Some pics of my lady's! hope you all enjoy. 11 mendo skunk(mendo purps X skunk #1) and one kushberry(I think its OG kush X blueberry). Just finished 5 weeks of veg and have been in flowering for a few days now. there under two 1000w HPS lights. In a 6x8 room I built in a spare bed room. that gives each plant 4 square feet to grow. no topping LST only. I tried to LST the kushberry but it said no so I tied it down the best I could and put it in the corner so the lights will not burn it. This is the first grow in this room, this system, and with all new nutes so it has been a crazy run but I am loving it. Let me know what you all think.

Nice! Sounds like my situation a bit with my first run with it. New nutes, new everything. Keeps you busy! Thanks for sharing the pics of your nice healthy looking ladies. +rep!

014322.JPG

027115.JPG

029109.JPG

016266.JPG

Well tell us what YOU think about it.

I am putting the rest of my system together tomorrow and clones go in Sunday......YAY the time has finally arrived!

Back
Top Bottom