Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

This is a very informative thread and I'm so glad I stumbled across it. I've been wanting to get a system like this one for a while now but just wanted to do some "homework" before I end up spending a few hundred bucks on it. I have a few questions and it seems like you all know your stuff and are really constructive towards answering questions and helping one another out.

Have any of you ever tried the C.A.P. Ebb & Grow system? If so, how do these two systems compare? What are the pros and cons? I've been kind of set on getting the titan system, but it seems that the local hydroponics store is pushing the C.A.P. harder and says the titan has more problems. Is that true? Or are they just trying to sell the the older C.A.P. because the newer version is coming out on July 9th?

Also has anyone used any other medium besides hydroton with this system? If I get this system I plan on using botanicare ready-gro (or something like it) as my medium. Any pros or cons to this?

And lastly, has anyone used the square root liner? I'm thinking this might some in handy because of the kind of medium I'm planning on using. Or does it seem like something that I shouldn't even bother spending my money on?

Any input good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

This is a very informative thread and I'm so glad I stumbled across it. I've been wanting to get a system like this one for a while now but just wanted to do some "homework" before I end up spending a few hundred bucks on it. I have a few questions and it seems like you all know your stuff and are really constructive towards answering questions and helping one another out.

Have any of you ever tried the C.A.P. Ebb & Grow system? If so, how do these two systems compare? What are the pros and cons? I've been kind of set on getting the titan system, but it seems that the local hydroponics store is pushing the C.A.P. harder and says the titan has more problems. Is that true? Or are they just trying to sell the the older C.A.P. because the newer version is coming out on July 9th?

Also has anyone used any other medium besides hydroton with this system? If I get this system I plan on using botanicare ready-gro (or something like it) as my medium. Any pros or cons to this?

And lastly, has anyone used the square root liner? I'm thinking this might some in handy because of the kind of medium I'm planning on using. Or does it seem like something that I shouldn't even bother spending my money on?

Any input good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

First, I'm really glad this thread has been helpful to you. :)

I've never used the C.A.P. Ebb & Grow system, personally, but I looked at it as an option before I got the Flo N Gro. I wish I could remember a lot more about the specifics regarding the Ebb N Grow, but there were a few reasons I liked the Flo N Gro better. Essentially, the 2 systems are very similar in most respects. A tip of the hat is in order for the Ebb N Gro, as it's really the original at least in terms of mass-produced systems like this.

Not sure what motives your hydro store might or might not have, but I'm not aware of any quality issues with the Flo N Gro. The hydro store where I got mine has gotten rave reviews and they have had no problems with the system they have set up and running in their store... I'm sure the Ebb N Grow is a good product, too, but the Flo N Gro has addressed a few things and made them a bit better, imho.

Here are some of the reasons I liked the Flo N Gro best:

• Square Pots - I like the way fittings and connectors seem to fit better with square netpots (instead of on a rounded surface)

• Netpots instead of a nesting bucket with holes in the bottom. The Ebb N Gro has a smaller bucket that fits inside a larger bucket. The smaller bucket has holes in the bottom so that the nutrients can rise up through during a flood. The 360 degree netpots on the Flo N Gro ensure better aeration to the root zone, and allow the media to dry faster - which is a good thing with this type of system (allows for more frequent floods and feedings).

• Size - the Ebb N Grow has 3 gallon pots, vs. the 4 gallon pots on the Flo N Gro. I liked the ability to have a larger root mass with the 4 gallon. Ebb N Grow has a "Monster" product with 5 gallon pots, but 4 gallon pots seemed like a perfect "in-between" to me.

Ultimately, there isn't a lot of highly technical stuff with these systems. For reasons I no longer remember, the controller on the Titan seemed like a little better controller to me. The controller amounts to a timer set-up with some float valves in a control bucket. The quality of Titan's timers is very good (it's one of their specialties) and the float valves are high quality. They use, in my opinion, some of the best pumps on the market (Maxi Jet 1200 aquarium pumps). I've had zero problems with my system, and have been running it steady for about a year now.

Lastly, hats off to them for this one: I've called them with questions, as have others here, and they connect you to the guy who engineered the product (think his name is Marty?), and he is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful regarding the product. It's rare in my experience to get this level of customer service and be connected to the guy who designed/engineered it to begin with. That type of service is priceless and a huge selling point to me.

As far as media and square root liners...

I have only done hydroton. Hydroton works great in these systems, and it's tough to beat. I think it's ideal in every respect except that it takes a lot of it (but then, it will take quite a bit of almost any media). If your media dries fast enough, you can flood/feed more frequently in bloom, which can accelerate growth a bit. I considered the square root pots with a media like coco coir, but the challenge would be that coco coir and some other medias that the square root pot are good for don't dry as quickly. What I ran into, was that the minimum I could do in a day without doing things manually is one flood. One flood per day with coco coir or other media that retains water really well can be too much, causing potential for root rot and other problems.

BUT, I've never tried Botanicare "Ready Gro" (nor have I heard of it 'til now!). I have to say, it looks interesting to me. I'm very intrigued by the product now that you've brought it to my attention, and I see that it addresses the need to water at least once per day. I'd love to see someone try something like this in a Flo N Grow (and yes you should do the Square Root liners if you do it). The consideration for this though: do you pioneer something different from the get go, or go with what is known to work well in this system? You have to make that call, but if you are also new to growing you might want to consider the potential perils of being the "pioneer". If you're courageous*, or have some hydro growing experience, give the "Ready Gro" a try!

* I say this, because many new growers (don't know if you are) experience some problems at the beginning. Those problems can be easier to fix when you are working with known variables (ie media that many others also use).

:goodluck: and I hope this is helpful. If you want to see some current/past grows with this system, check out the links in my signature. :)

So basically it seems like the Flo N Gro is the new and improved version of the original C.A.P. system. As far as problems goes, I have yet to hear anyone say anything really bad about the Flo N Gro and that's why I got skeptical when the sales associate at the hydro store said what he did. I fully agree with you on all points you made about the system. I've always wondered how reliable those rubber grommets on the round buckets were. I figure the square pots would give a better seal for the grommet and fitting. The net pots are awesome! My only issue would be keeping the soil-less mix in there, but that's what the square root liners would be for. I just hope the liner will let the media dry out and not keep things too wet. I guess there's only one way to find out huh?

I'm planning on using the Botanicare Ready-Gro Aeration formula which is made for 4-6 waterings daily. And of course the square root liners. I do have some experience with hydro growing and have a few harvests under my belt but I still consider myself a beginner. I would have gone with the traditional route and used hydroton, but the nutrient I'm planning on using is based on a soil application and I have yet to play around with it to use it efficiently in a hydro system.

With that being said I appreciate your input and I'll be off to my hydro store today to pick one of these guys up! Since this may be the first time anyone is doing this with the Flo N Gro, I'll be sure to do my best to keep you guys updated on how its going.

A sincere thanks goes to everyone that contributed to this thread. Every possible question I had about this system got answered. A lot of headaches have been avoided. Now I just hope this next grow is headache free as well! :cheesygrinsmiley:

So basically it seems like the Flo N Gro is the new and improved version of the original C.A.P. system. As far as problems goes, I have yet to hear anyone say anything really bad about the Flo N Gro and that's why I got skeptical when the sales associate at the hydro store said what he did. I fully agree with you on all points you made about the system. I've always wondered how reliable those rubber grommets on the round buckets were. I figure the square pots would give a better seal for the grommet and fitting. The net pots are awesome! My only issue would be keeping the soil-less mix in there, but that's what the square root liners would be for. I just hope the liner will let the media dry out and not keep things too wet. I guess there's only one way to find out huh?

I'm planning on using the Botanicare Ready-Gro Aeration formula which is made for 4-6 waterings daily. And of course the square root liners. I do have some experience with hydro growing and have a few harvests under my belt but I still consider myself a beginner. I would have gone with the traditional route and used hydroton, but the nutrient I'm planning on using is based on a soil application and I have yet to play around with it to use it efficiently in a hydro system.

With that being said I appreciate your input and I'll be off to my hydro store today to pick one of these guys up! Since this may be the first time anyone is doing this with the Flo N Gro, I'll be sure to do my best to keep you guys updated on how its going.

A sincere thanks goes to everyone that contributed to this thread. Every possible question I had about this system got answered. A lot of headaches have been avoided. Now I just hope this next grow is headache free as well! :cheesygrinsmiley:

That's fantastic. I can't tell you how much I'm hoping you start a grow journal, or at least post your findings here! I'd like to know how it all works for you.

After you mentioned the Ready-Gro stuff, I read up on it a bit, and I'd definitely do the aeration formula vs. the other one they have (with square root liners) if it were me.

If you don't mind me asking -- what nutrients are you planning on using? Eventually, I'd like to find a way to grow using a more organic approach with the Flo N Gro, but really need to figure out a plan, first, and just how best to do it if at all.

Good luck!

That's fantastic. I can't tell you how much I'm hoping you start a grow journal, or at least post your findings here! I'd like to know how it all works for you.

After you mentioned the Ready-Gro stuff, I read up on it a bit, and I'd definitely do the aeration formula vs. the other one they have (with square root liners) if it were me.

If you don't mind me asking -- what nutrients are you planning on using? Eventually, I'd like to find a way to grow using a more organic approach with the Flo N Gro, but really need to figure out a plan, first, and just how best to do it if at all.

Good luck!

Grow journal huh? I've never done an online version of that but I'm guessing it's the same, but a whole bunch of other people putting in their thoughts and contributing advice. So with that being said I'll probably try and take the time to start one of those. :blushsmile:

Last week I went shopping and $647.35 later I came home with; 1- Flo-N-Gro 12 site system, 12- Flo-N-Gro square fabric inserts, and 4 bags ReadyGro aeration formula. :woohoo: Only bummer was that they had to order the fabric liners so I had to wait for that. My liners came in on Friday and I assembled the system yesterday. Hopefully I can find the time today to finish transplanting the clones and start my 1st grow journal.

I have no problem with you asking about my nutrient. Unfortunately, (trying my hardest to not sound like an a-hole) the nutrients I'm planning on using is a product that has not yet been released to consumers. I can tell you that this grow is going to be 100% Organic (not bio-organic). The nutrient is geared towards a soil application which is why I chose the ReadyGro as my growing medium. While its a soil-less medium, I can still add my nutrient to it. I'm also testing it out to see if its possible to run in a hydroponic application. All I really have to do is have the Flo-N-Gro keep things moist and every 10 days I hand feed my plants the nutrient that I have. Yes I sad nutrient and NOT nutrientS. :yikes: I'm lazy and hate messing with soooo many different products.

Does anyone here that already used this system have any pointers for flood/light cycles? I'm thinking 18/6 with 4 floods during lights on and 1 during lights off. Can I get away with only 3 floods a day? For 12/12 I'm thinking maybe the same. 4 floods on and 1 off.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nice setup! I "borrowed" your corrugated tubing idea! :thanks: Also I was curious to know if those hose clamps on your corrugated tubing are necessary? I don't have the same fitting as you though. I basically used water and made the tubing fit. They didn't go all the way on the fitting but they are on there really tight! My fingers feel really awesome right now from forcing them on the fitting. Do you think there's enough pressure on the hose that it might come off? I guess bottom line its better to be safe than sorry.

Grow journal huh? I've never done an online version of that but I'm guessing it's the same, but a whole bunch of other people putting in their thoughts and contributing advice. So with that being said I'll probably try and take the time to start one of those. :blushsmile:

Last week I went shopping and $647.35 later I came home with; 1- Flo-N-Gro 12 site system, 12- Flo-N-Gro square fabric inserts, and 4 bags ReadyGro aeration formula. :woohoo: Only bummer was that they had to order the fabric liners so I had to wait for that. My liners came in on Friday and I assembled the system yesterday. Hopefully I can find the time today to finish transplanting the clones and start my 1st grow journal.

I have no problem with you asking about my nutrient. Unfortunately, (trying my hardest to not sound like an a-hole) the nutrients I'm planning on using is a product that has not yet been released to consumers. I can tell you that this grow is going to be 100% Organic (not bio-organic). The nutrient is geared towards a soil application which is why I chose the ReadyGro as my growing medium. While its a soil-less medium, I can still add my nutrient to it. I'm also testing it out to see if its possible to run in a hydroponic application. All I really have to do is have the Flo-N-Gro keep things moist and every 10 days I hand feed my plants the nutrient that I have. Yes I sad nutrient and NOT nutrientS. :yikes: I'm lazy and hate messing with soooo many different products.

Does anyone here that already used this system have any pointers for flood/light cycles? I'm thinking 18/6 with 4 floods during lights on and 1 during lights off. Can I get away with only 3 floods a day? For 12/12 I'm thinking maybe the same. 4 floods on and 1 off.

Thanks for the feedback.

First, congrats on your new system! :high-five:

Your media will be what best determines how best to time your watering schedules. Especially early on, you'll want to keep it from being constantly "soaked". I've played around quite a bit, but have found best results, for me in hydroton, to be 1-2 waterings per day during the early veg stage, and ramping that to 3 per day once the roots are showing through the sides and bottoms of the netpot. Fewer waterings early on will encourage the roots to seek for moisture and will speed root growth and development. Once the roots are well established, you can ramp that up. You don't want it to dry out, but getting close to that will help the root growth and development. More is not better at the beginning.

During bloom, I water about once every 3-4 hours during lights on only (all waterings in veg and bloom should be with lights on). I used to water once during lights off (again with hydroton) to keep things moist, but after gaining some experience with the system I found it unnecessary and the plants did better once I discontinued that. My first watering is about 15 minutes after lights on, my last is about 1 hour before lights off.

Light cycles are a whole 'nother ball game. There are many opinions on this. I've vegged under 18/6, 24/0 as well as the 12-1 (Gas Lantern Routine) method. Honestly, I don't see a big difference between them. Perhaps the 18/6 and the 12-1 technique speed the veg phase slightly. 12-1 technique is also supposed to help build up flowering hormones as you head toward the bloom phase, but it's a little more to manage. If you aren't familiar with the 12-1 technique (also called Gas Lantern Routine) do a search on the site or go*gle it for more details. It works good, saves on electricity, and may help build up flowering hormones prior to switching to the bloom phase - reducing plant stress during the transition. Since most of my vegging is in an adjascent space and "speedy" veg growth is not what I'm typically trying to accomplish, I'm vegging under 24 hours of light per day. Honestly, I don't see much difference in any of the veg light cycles as far as the plant growth/development. I also haven't noticed any quicker bloom activity based on the veg cycle previous to it. So, personal preference comes into play, too.

For bloom lighting phase - 12/12 is the standard. However, there is some merit to a diminishing bloom phase where the timers are reduced slightly each week until the end of bloom. This light cycle is the bloom part of the 12-1 technique, and most closely mimics nature. Also, DJ Short (well respected grower and breeder) has a belief that 12/12 is better suited to indica varieties, and not sativas. He feels that a shorter light cycle (for example 11 on, 13 off) will help bring out sativa tendencies in hybrids and sativas. There may be something to that, as many sativas almost refuse to flower or finish flowering under 12 hours of light, necessitating a reduction of light hours to get them to properly "finish". Currently, I'm growing sativa-dom plants and am using a light cycle of 11.5/12.5 from start to finish and am happy to this point.
Nice setup! I "borrowed" your corrugated tubing idea! :thanks: Also I was curious to know if those hose clamps on your corrugated tubing are necessary? I don't have the same fitting as you though. I basically used water and made the tubing fit. They didn't go all the way on the fitting but they are on there really tight! My fingers feel really awesome right now from forcing them on the fitting. Do you think there's enough pressure on the hose that it might come off? I guess bottom line its better to be safe than sorry.

I think the corrugated tubing was from noknowcure, and I can't answer you on that. I would just say, make damned sure those fittings are on securely to avoid flooding your grow room. Better safe than sorry is a good motto in that regard, as I've seen/heard some horror stories from people who inadvertently flooded their room with 55 gallons of nutrient water. Doh! On that note, test the system with water and no nutrients before putting plants in it to make sure everything is working well and nothing is leaking.

Thanks for all the useful info. I thought about it and figured I take the time to do a grow journal. I could use the tips and ideas from anyone who's got em. I don't want to clutter the review thread with my grow journal so I'll take this conversation to my journal. Here's the link. CR1MS' ReadyGro in Flo-N-Gro Organic Multiple Strain Grow 2012 See you there! :thumb:

Cool - just subbed. Glad you are starting a journal -- good luck, can't wait to follow along. :)

That corrigated tubing is on so well it's almost TOO well. It's a bitch to take off when you have to clean the system

Good insight A1 - are you still glad you did it, would you do it again? I've thought about switching to this style of tubing at some point and I was just curious.

That corrigated tubing is on so well it's almost TOO well. It's a bitch to take off when you have to clean the system

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. Cleaning the system shouldn't be too much of a problem though cause I'm only running R/O water through it. My problem is that I'm planning on using the same system for veg and bloom, but with 2 different layouts. So I gotta take off and replace tubes every time I change the lights. Let's see what happens when I start to bloom!

Good insight A1 - are you still glad you did it, would you do it again? I've thought about switching to this style of tubing at some point and I was just curious.

IMO, this style of tubing is good because of its flexibility. Other than that I don't see much more advantages. If they're gonna be a pain to remove then that will be a deal breaker. But I guess I'll make that decision when the time comes. This tubing (for me) was cheaper than the 3/4" I.D. tubing that came with the system but if they are a pain to remove then I'd gladly pay a bit more and do without the corrugated tubing.

Cool - just subbed. Glad you are starting a journal -- good luck, can't wait to follow along. :)

I had it in tent 1 and switch it back out for the stock tubing. Tent 3 I have the stock tubing as well. In tent 2 though I'm not sure I can get away using the stock tubing as the bends needed to complete everything.
If I had my choice thou it's the stock tubing.

Hey I know this thread is older but have a few questions. First what is the difference between this system and a RDWC system like BassMans?

Also if I were to veg in rockwoll how easy would it be to transplant into the hydroton? Or would it be better to veg in hydroton as well? Never used hydroton I've been strictly rockwoll for 2 years. I just don't get how to transplant with hydroton wouldn't the balls just go everywhere or am I way off? Appreciate any help I plan on getting 2 systems and am looking at these very seriously. Was also thinking about a DIY rdwc like bassmans.

Thanks X and anyone else who helps. Very informative thread!

Hey I know this thread is older but have a few questions. First what is the difference between this system and a RDWC system like BassMans?

Also if I were to veg in rockwoll how easy would it be to transplant into the hydroton? Or would it be better to veg in hydroton as well? Never used hydroton I've been strictly rockwoll for 2 years. I just don't get how to transplant with hydroton wouldn't the balls just go everywhere or am I way off? Appreciate any help I plan on getting 2 systems and am looking at these very seriously. Was also thinking about a DIY rdwc like bassmans.

Thanks X and anyone else who helps. Very informative thread!

Hi DocDee! :ciao:

RDWC (Recirculating Deep Water Culture), works with the roots constantly submerged in bubbling water. Additionally, the "R" part of that means that the water in the buckets is recirculated back to a main reservoir (or with the water/nutes in the other buckets or both).

The Flo N Gro, is "flood" style growing with buckets. Each plantsite has it's own bucket, and the roots are buried in the media instead of just dangling in the water 24/7. There is a main reservoir, a control bucket, and the plantsites. Based on pre-determined timer settings, the nutrient solution is pumped through the control unit to the individual buckets.

The control bucket is similar to the plant sites in size, and has "float valves" that stop the flood when the water gets to a pre-determined height (typically the top of the root zone). Then, after (typically 15 minutes) the water is pumped back to the main reservoir. After which, the plants roots stay wet until the next flood.

Hydroton is a good media for these systems, as it will hold moisture but allow a lot of oxygen to get to the roots so that they are bathed in a moist oxygenated environment between floods. Air-stones aren't really necessary with a system like this as the roots get so much air between floods. However, I keep an airstone in the reservoir, nonetheless, to help keep the nutrient solution circulating and further oxygenated (though that last part isn't really necessary).

I have never used rockwool, so I can't speak to that much. Here's what I do: I put clones or seedlings in "Rapid Rooter" style plugs. Then, when they are starting to develop some roots, I transplant into a smaller netcup with hydroton, just filling the balls around the plug. I have a smaller DIY system that I use for early vegging that uses these smaller netcups. Then, when I'm ready to put them in the Flo N Gro, I remove the netcup and bury it in hydroton in the larger Flo N Gro netpot. Again, just sort of filling around it with hydroton. So you have a smaller netpot with hydroton, nested inside the larger netpot with hydroton.

I've also just buried the Rapid Rooter plug directly in the Flo N Grow from the start. You may consider "hand watering" for a few days if you plant directly in the hydroton of the Flo N Grow, as the floods can dislodge them until they get some roots going to hold them in place better. I've never had an issue with this, but something to consider.

RDWC is a great way to go, too. The thing I like about the Flo N Gro is that it is very low-maintenance while up and running. Unlike RDWC, res temps are easier to control, as the water/nutes aren't constantly exposed to the lights (I keep the reservoir outside of the tent). On a daily basis, it's pretty much maintaining the PH in the reservoir. Since the reservoir is outside of the tent, PH can be adjusted even during lights off. Easy breezy! Other than that, I just change out the reservoir weekly with fresh nutrients.

Lastly, RDWC growing often requires a "Chiller" if you have issues keeping the nutrients below 70f, otherwise root rot will often be a pain in your side. Nutrient temps are very critical with RDWC.

The biggest downside to the Flo N Gro? Probably the large amount of media (hydroton in my case). Which requires cleaning or discarding between rounds. Otherwise, I love it! You can grow nice, well yielding plants in either...

Really appreciate the lengthy response even while sick! That's why your the MOTY!! Thanks again I thin you just sold me on the Titan. Gonna order one to set up my one 5x10 area and if it works ill be ordering another for the other side! Thanks again x!

I happen to use 3 airstones per res as it keeps the mix boiling at all times. The more oxygen the better. Also, if you're going to run hydro I highly suggest using either DM Zone or BPN's Blue Zone to help promote healthy root growth and keep root rot at bay. I also have other feeding sughesrions. Do you know what nutes you will be running? Also, before you put it together I have some helpful suggestions so you do not run into the same problems I have run into.

Have Cory's BPN 2 part high yield system minus the early bloomer. Is the blue zone for sale yet and should I be shopping for more additives before I get running. I hear you guys talk of h2o2 and super thrive and stuff like that but have no idea what it's really used for in a hydro system like this.

Just ordered my Titan flo n gro off eBeh. 599 free shipping that's a pretty good deal you think? Will place order for either another system or the add on as soon as I get the hang of this baby!

Thanks for the help Ak appreciate it!

Edit; just saw you mentioned airstones in each res. your talking the 55 gal res correct?

I happen to use 3 airstones per res as it keeps the mix boiling at all times. The more oxygen the better. Also, if you're going to run hydro I highly suggest using either DM Zone or BPN's Blue Zone to help promote healthy root growth and keep root rot at bay. I also have other feeding sughesrions. Do you know what nutes you will be running? Also, before you put it together I have some helpful suggestions so you do not run into the same problems I have run into.

is that 3 pumps as well AK? I've got 2 pumps feeding 4 airstones in my 55g res. Very bubbly in there :)

Is BPN Blue Zone like DM's Zone?

Have Cory's BPN 2 part high yield system minus the early bloomer. Is the blue zone for sale yet and should I be shopping for more additives before I get running. I hear you guys talk of h2o2 and super thrive and stuff like that but have no idea what it's really used for in a hydro system like this.

Just ordered my Titan flo n gro off eBeh. 599 free shipping that's a pretty good deal you think? Will place order for either another system or the add on as soon as I get the hang of this baby!

Thanks for the help Ak appreciate it!

Edit; just saw you mentioned airstones in each res. your talking the 55 gal res correct?

Superthrive is a vitamin and hormone supplement. I think BPN has a vitamin supplement as well.
H2O2 is a disinfectant/cleaner for the res. You do not want to use this if you're using organic nutrients or beneficial bacteria/fungi. You only use this if you're running a 'sterile' system.

Yeah BPN has vitablue so I wouldn't need super thrive right? And I'm not running organic except the root magic in early veg. So I should start shopping on h202? Titan is on order and should be expecting delivery between the 14-21 of this month. I'm super excited! Think ill finally do a journal as well!

Back
Top Bottom