To bend, or not to bend

OldSkoool

Having limited height allowances, it was recommended bending the branches (tops) using pipe cleaners, weaving them around like tethered green snakes. Great idea I thought, but not having seen any pics of the members plants resembling bowls of spagetti, I thought I'd ask whether or not this may have an adverse effect. Peace Out all. So far, my babies don't seem to mind in the least.

OldSkoool

Now tall is your plant, it might be more beneficial to do some SCroG. How much light do you have?

Thanks for the reply, just a personal grow, two plants in self designed small 18"X23"X32", ventilated enclosure, with three (2 side mounted, one vertical) spiral flor's putting out 8100 lumins. Bending has made it explode with new secondary growth from the feeders.

Do you know what a SCroG is? or are you too far past that point? How old is your plant?

If you want some very good reading and photos on how to apply low stress training (basically bending), buy a cheap indoor bonsai book.

I learned bonsai from such books and practice on indoor plants that were often quite delicate. Now, however, I use similar techniques (if pipe cleaners aren't stront enough use strips of cloth to tie branches to dip) in a cloning/mother chamber that has only 9" of height from floor to ceiling.

My mothers I grow in bonsai pots and snip the main node when I have 3 true leaves. I then train the 6 branches out radially by cutting leaves and sprouts so I get about a 6" long ray that has living ends with about 3 leaf nodes alive constantly. when it is close to the ground, I let it bend back up towards the light, get about 4 nodes above the bend, nick the bottom of the branck, coat it in rooting gel, and stake it under the soil a little until it roots at the nick. I then chop it leaving 1/2 the roots burried in the ground, 1/2 with my new clone that I veg for a few weeks and (will) move the the 5' flowering chamber beneath. :). 9 clones will grow with one main cola each having been flowered at about 5 to 6 inches in an aeroponic/430w HPS flowering chamber.

Heh, so far the mother and clones are going fine. This will be my first practice at the single cola 2.5' plants though... :)

Thanks to all for the feed back, and some excellent tips.

OldSkoool

GreenThumbsUp said:
If you want some very good reading and photos on how to apply low stress training (basically bending), buy a cheap indoor bonsai book.

I learned bonsai from such books and practice on indoor plants that were often quite delicate. Now, however, I use similar techniques (if pipe cleaners aren't stront enough use strips of cloth to tie branches to dip) in a cloning/mother chamber that has only 9" of height from floor to ceiling.

My mothers I grow in bonsai pots and snip the main node when I have 3 true leaves. I then train the 6 branches out radially by cutting leaves and sprouts so I get about a 6" long ray that has living ends with about 3 leaf nodes alive constantly. when it is close to the ground, I let it bend back up towards the light, get about 4 nodes above the bend, nick the bottom of the branck, coat it in rooting gel, and stake it under the soil a little until it roots at the nick. I then chop it leaving 1/2 the roots burried in the ground, 1/2 with my new clone that I veg for a few weeks and (will) move the the 5' flowering chamber beneath. :). 9 clones will grow with one main cola each having been flowered at about 5 to 6 inches in an aeroponic/430w HPS flowering chamber.

Heh, so far the mother and clones are going fine. This will be my first practice at the single cola 2.5' plants though... :)

I'll be trying your method GreenThumbsUp, although when you say you 'chop' it, leaving 1/2 the roots, do you to allow the 'ray' you've nicked, and coated to continue growing in the soil? I've used this method before with berries, hadn't even dawned on me to raise clones in the same manner. Thanks again for your time, and assistance.

Back
Top Bottom