Topping Off, Draining & Replenishing, RNC and TDS

SOG = Sea of Green. Enlighten me SCROG = ?

SOG can be done by various methods, the intent being to control the vertical growth and emphasizing a uniform horizontal spred.

SCROG is a SOG method utilizing large mesh screeen to support and control the plants.

Any method that anchors the plants would seem to interfere with proper nutrient and tank maintenance.

I'm wondering how growers who use these methods handle that.

What type of Rez? If you're using a pail or tub, you can place eye hooks through the lid. If you're using a pail the lid should be thick enough to buy self tapping type. If a tub you may have to utilize some sort of backing plate. Then, wherever you want to anchor the plant you place an eye hook. Use your preferred tie down lanyard to attach the plant to that position. As so on. Someone has a thread here with a picture of the lid w/eyehooks. I can't remember who. Maybe Woodsman.

Using this method, if you can move the lid, you can move the plant.

SOG can be done by various methods, the intent being to control the vertical growth and emphasizing a uniform horizontal spred.

SCROG is a SOG method utilizing large mesh screeen to support and control the plants.

Any method that anchors the plants would seem to interfere with proper nutrient and tank maintenance.

I'm wondering how growers who use these methods handle that.

Check out Hanisan's Blue Widow grow, post #260. It shows a lid rigged for LST

I must be having a stoner moment, so bear with me please. So when toping off the res between your drain and replenish, you like to put in water with the amount of nutes to reach your ppm in just what you are adding, not enough to raise the ppm of the entire res. If you are adding 1 gal you nute that 1 gal to your ppm range for just that 1 gal. Right???

If you don't occasionally clear the buffet table, the plants will wind up with left overs and stale old food................kinda, sorta.

I just went to 12-12 today and did a rez change. I used just ph'd tap water. Next Friday when I do my next change I plan on using a 50% recommended bloom nutrient. What are your thoughts RM?

I must be having a stoner moment, so bear with me please. So when toping off the res between your drain and replenish, you like to put in water with the amount of nutes to reach your ppm in just what you are adding, not enough to raise the ppm of the entire res. If you are adding 1 gal you nute that 1 gal to your ppm range for just that 1 gal. Right???

As they get bigger, perhaps no more than once a week, I do increase the ppm slightly, very slightly. BUT, as you asked, when topping off daily I like to put a very small amount of nutes in my topping off water to only bring the ppm back to where it previously was, the day before.

For example,

If my ppm was 800 yesterday, and I check it today and it is 700, I add a very slight amount of nutes to the water I am addding, and then I get back to 800 again.

I just went to 12-12 today and did a rez change. I used just ph'd tap water. Next Friday when I do my next change I plan on using a 50% recommended bloom nutrient. What are your thoughts RM?

My thoughts are there is no PERFECT way and if it works for you, then go with it.

My first 5 or 6 grows, when I went to 12/12, I did a drain, added pH balanced plain water for a day, then the enxt day, I added BLOOM nutes.

Uncle Ben told me to try something different and I saw a great big difference.
He said and taught me, the nutes do not make the change in the cycle. It is the Light cycle that makes the change in the cycle.

You know that GROW or VEG nutes are heavy in Nitrogen, for stem and leaf growth.
BLOOM or FLOWERING nutes are heavy in phosperous, to make the flowers grow.

Well, the day I change to 12/12 I don't have any flowers yet, to make them grow bigger. I don't even have any kind of flowers for a week or two so why feed them phosperous, when they do not even exist yet to eat it?

Now, when I am ready to start 12/12 all I do is change the light cycle adding an extra 12 to 24 hours of darkness. BUT I stay on VEG nutes the next first full week, and my plants continue to grow bigger. THEN, AFTER that week, I add 75% FLOWERING nutes and 25% Veg nutes.

Everyone says it is natural and normal, in indoor growing, for the lower fan leaves to yellow and fall off in the 12/12 Flowering cycle. But if you add a slight amount of N, or VEG nutes, those leaves will not yellow and fall off. Ask MostlyCrazy, he tried it and got the same results.

I also read that ADVANCED NUTRIENTS adds and uses extra N in their BLOOM nutes and I tried them, and the big fan leaves did not yellow and fall off during flowering.

Great quarterbacks do not throw the football the same way to get a touchdown. Great race car drivers do not drive the car the same way to win a race. Great growers do not do everything the same way to get great buds either.

So, I haven't topped off my ebb and flow reservoir at all. The plants are not consuming that much, and right now they seem to be doing well in the 4th week of flower. So, I thought about topping off with just water every other day or so, but it doesn't seem to be needed. I guess what I'm asking is that should I consider doing this? My opinion is that if it's working now why change?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom