Transitioning to auto pot

Hrenklin

I am unable to tend to my plants everyday as they are not at home. I'm about 3 weeks I to my grow and I decided I'm going to do my next pot up to the autopot system. I am currently in ffof soil + perlite and I'm looking to move into coco and perlite.

Can i just pot the current ffof into fresh coco in the autopot or should I clean the roots and transport into fresh coco?

I assume you're not growing autoflowers.
If so then dont do that, it will shunt them and you'll get about 1 good joint yield from each plant.

How often can you tend them?

If its every other day you could do a Living Organic Soil No-till system in 25 gallon pots and water them real good every other day.
Or set up a drip system with 5 gallon bucket feeding each plant and probably only need to show up maybe twice a week.

The 6 gal auto pot is like $90 and you still are in a 6 gal hard sided pot.
Cost for 25 gallon fabric pots full of the very best LOS and worms, cover crop etc would be about the same price and the soil gets better with age and it will grow superior quality cannabis.

I'll second living soil. Like the poster said above, you water the thing every once in a while and that's about it. The things take care of themselves.

Plus you get to reuse your soil and save money on all these nutes. Perfect for people who want quality bud but don't have the maintenance hours available.

You don't need to have the pots outdoors for that to work.

And, shameless plug, @Pbass used organic soil and literally watered his plants three times only throughout veg because of my product, so consider that as well. Really retains water well in addition to enabling plants to hold out a bit longer if you can't get to them.

Ultimately the game plan is with auto pot I will check and fill the resevoir once a week due to traffic constraints cuz I finish work right in the heart of rush hour to go check on my plants. And the question is if I should transfer the current ffof soil into a perlite/coco mix so all 3 will be in the autopot. Or completely remove the ffof and go into fresh coco/perlite

I run AUTO-pot XL in flower and Auto-pot 4 gal in VEG.

I'm in upstate NY and my grow is in PA 300 miles away.

I use LOS soil - living organic soil. Very easy nothing but water.

WIth a soil-less medium like coco you need to be there every day. For me kinda defeats the purpose of the AUTO-pot system.

How big is you water reservoir?

Here's a pic of the of my last run about 1/2 way thru. I'm in the middle of harvesting now, took 3 plants down will take more tomorrow.

Ultimately the game plan is with auto pot I will check and fill the resevoir once a week due to traffic constraints cuz I finish work right in the heart of rush hour to go check on my plants. And the question is if I should transfer the current ffof soil into a perlite/coco mix so all 3 will be in the autopot. Or completely remove the ffof and go into fresh coco/perlite
Just transplant them, I wouldn't stress them by cleaning the roots. Just stick them in the Coco/perlite. No worries IMO However, the guys are right, Coco perlite is higher maintenance

@noobiebean where's your location?

MY soil mix (Coots Mix) has 6 inputs + ewc/compost/Perlite/Peatmoss

Mix once - run years.

I'm in the end of my 3rd year with the same soil. Thats 40ish runs in the same soil flower only.

Worm castings yes worms end up in the pots from the EWC that will have cocoons in there and they will hatch

@Hrenklin what size auto-pot system?

BE SURE to add pebbles/stones/clay balls about an inch or 2 in the btm on top of the membrane then add your soil medium.

Should I just stick to ffof as my medium. Its my first grow. I'be got the pebbles, and currently using foxfarm nutrients and very small doses as there is still more than enough in the soil for current state. My other option I was thinking was planting the currently in pot ffof soil into a fresh layer of coco/perlite at the bottom of the part above the pebbles and around the side when I repot

Why not LOS - how is your plants getting nutrients?

It is my first grow and I'm tryinnto to over complicate things. I'll be adding nutrients to my resevoir

Well adding nutrients to the reservoir will require periodic cleaning of the whole system.

Easy enough just open the end with the red valve on it and run fresh water thru into a bucket.

I use just water in my res. with LOS I don't need fertilizers.

You have your reservoir lifted up off the ground some how?? I have mine on a stand about 6" above the water lines.

I've never used the FFOF soil since I make my own. So hard to say. Seems like its good enough for 1 round. I just keep using my soil over and over again. Get it tested 1x a year good to go.

Soil testing in NY is .. free! woot. in PA its $8.

Back
Top Bottom