Uncle Fuzzy's way of the SCRoG

Stltoed

Hello. I wanted to go through how I build and use a scrog. It's not really very hard, if you do it once you should be good to go.

Scrogging is basically the same thing as LST (Low Stress Training). Oh, and it's not called Quadlining. Quadlining is just a cute name someone on this forum came up with. If you go to your local hydro store, or join another forum and call it Quadlining they wont have any idea what you're talking about. Its LST. Both scrogging and LST work great. I believe a scrog is just easier.... set it and forget it. Try them both.

If you plan on moving your plants during your grow, a scrog may not be for you. This method is only for folks who leave their plants in the same spot they were started. This method is for most grow methods except for maybe SOG, I'm sure there are others, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Be sure to consider your room. If you need to get to the back corner for water and your scrog will cover it, you may want to take this into consideration. Once your plants are rollin, you wont be able to move your plants or the screen

You should consider how big you want to make your scrog first thing... I usually make it as large as I can, so I'm not locked into an area that might confine the plant. My main grow area is approximately 4x6, my scrog is 4x6. I will say that 4 feet wide is just about max for me. I'm a bit over 6 feet and reaching to the very back of my net is a hardship. So, if you can't walk all the way around the frame consider how far you can reach across the net. When I'm cleaning up around my room after a grow, my scrog can get in the way. What I've done is connect it to the wall with some velcro. So all I need to do is fold it against the wall. I only need 2 legs, just out of frame sorry, in the front the velcro will handle the back.
Theres a reflector panel in the way on the left, but you probably get the idea.

I make my frames out of 1.5" PVC. You can use whatever you like but the smaller stuff can be like working with a wet noodle. I only glue the PVC together when the scrog frame is large the rest of the time I hammer the joints together and it stays together nicely. Theres a cutter at your local hardware store that looks like an overgrown tree pruner that is made to cut PVC... get it. It makes life so much easier when cutting larger diameter pipe. The main reason to use bigger pipe is because the tension on the screen can be a real problem. I like it pretty tight. Here are a couple scrog frames I made for a friend in Northern Nevada. He was doing a soil grow of 12 Northern Lights. The issue was he let the plants grow to 3 feet tall before putting them under a screen. This made setting the screen a real bitch. All the branches that were gonna bend had to be reinforced so they wouldn't split at the crotch. But it could be done. Let's talk if you want to scrog a taller plant. In the pictures with plants you can see we had just set the screen pretty ratty.

I dont get too fancy with my screen material. I look for 5 inch squares in nylon cord. They are usually 6 Inch squares, but there are other sizes. I dont want them so small that it's hard to get the branches through, but I also dont want them so big it takes weeks to get to the other side of the next square I've seen people use barrier netting, plastic lattice, all sorts of stuff. Last time I bought it I think it was $17 for 60 feet. Dont overthink it. As I said I stretch the net tight, I do this by wrapping a corner of the net over a corner of the frame and zip tieing 1 whole side, then I do the adjacent side to make an L. I then pull the screen tight and zip tie the other 2 sides. As I said my scrog is 4x6. I put a tube across the middle of the 4 foot width to keep the frame from blowing in.

This is the only plant I've grown with no scrog. It worked ok, but as you may expect the lower stuff is a little airy

In my opinion the best height for a scrog is around 12 inches above the grow media. Mine is lower right now because the height was set for cloth pots and now I'm running hydro.. I was just too lazy to move it up. I dont believe it matters all that much. It will just take a shade longer to fill for net if it's too high. I think most folks that have done this for a while have their own opinion.
Another thing to think about is ventilation. I trim my leaves as needed. I dont trim in the 12th day of flower, it's on a case by case basis. I pull leaves that are covering new tops and that's about it. I grow in RDWC (usually) so I get tons of leaves. This can be an environmental issue by blocking airflow. I will set up a large fan above and a small 6 inch fan below the screen. I do this because I've cleared all the growth below the screen. Well, maybe not all the growth... The fan leaves that get so big at the bottom of the plant will be food storage for the plant during the last couple weeks

These 2 plants were mothers, but I wanted to flower them. I added the scrog to seperate it a bit, as they were monster cropped and crazy dense. This is happening as I write this, so I can't really comment on results. But, you can see what's going on here.

Some set up 2 scrogs. One to spread out the plant above theother to hold the buds when they're. I did this on my very first grow but didnt see a benefit. I was pretty new though so maybe I missed it.

I usually set up a new screen every grow. I usually cut it up at harvest. But I've also reused old screens on occasion... theres that laziness again. You can see that in a couple pics... the ones where the screen isnt in squares anymore.
Here are some pics of scrogged plants...

The bottom line with this method is to spread your plant out and make the canopy even so each branch can get at the light. A Christmas tree style plant that hasn't been trimmed, or topped well get much better light on the center bud and taller side branches, but the stuff at the bottom gets much less and will show in your bud as larfiness. Just imagine topping the Christmas tree as a youth then giving each branch the same amount of light. You may not see 1 20 inch bud in the middle, but 30 smaller ones. each of those scrogged branches will have the best case scenario and will grow accordingly. I top once at the 5th node usually, I then set the scrog so the plant grows into the screen without effort.

Tucking branches... so you have your new scrog. It's set over your young plants and ready for action. Your plants have grown slightly past the screen level and a couple branches are ready for some screen time. Simply push the branches under the closest string in the direction you want it to grow, and keep doing that until your screen is about 75% full of horizontal branches. Next step is flower.. boom done. I will say that you shouldn't push a branch under a string if it just barely fits. Give it a few days to get a little longer so the top is free to go verticle the next day. I will also say that I kinda suck at this. I'm always trying to get that branch under before its time... this is bad. It slows down growth on that branch, but you'll also wind up with a bunch of tattered leaves if this is a normal practice. Some people weave branches through the net. It seems to me that unless you are changing directions as to where you want the branch to go, theres no need. All you really need to do with scrogging is hold the branch down... just my opinion

I once grew two plants and set them in a way that required the branches grow in the same direction. To be clear, one had the branches all going left the other all going right, the lights were in the middle. The plants did very well, but I'm not completely sure it was my super slick idea of directional scrogging. I just wanted to share that. I cut this scrog from the plant on the right... a little experiment, I dont think that's a good idea. Pics...

This is my present grow. You can see I've added a sheet of reflector film on one side and have a short reflector panel in the from. I'm trying to maximize my light. This is half of my system. I'm only growing one plant in hydro right now.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of really important items in this little ramble. I'm sorry... I smoke pot. Haha. It probably could have used a couple more pictures also. Never fear, I'm pretty quick with replys and have plenty more pictures should the need arise. Good night and have a pleasant t tomorrow

Nice write up :high-five:

I also run SCROG But I use 10 gal plastic RIM MOUNT SCROG nets, each approx 2 x 2 feet.
I only run a 2 x 4 tend so thats 2 plants that can be moved individually when needed

Oh! That's a killer idea. I'm glad you shared this! Great idea.

What is your main light? I dig your rig.

I see your using LED lighting :yummy: and getting a Awesome yield :yummy:
Thats my next adventure simply for the Electric bill benefit. Total
power everything included is running at 1000 to 1100w lights on so reducing that
is a goal.

Interested in the QBs when I can open up a bigger tent, but who knows what will
be available when I do :rofl:

My set-up has morphed over time, it changes every time I read something new :rofl:

ENVIRONMENT

LIGHTING
16 On / 8 Off Veg & 11 On / 13 Off Flower
using SUN-RISE & SUN_SET Schedule

LIGHTS USED

HID

1 Each 400W MH (Veg) 400W HPS (Flower)

T5s
2 Each
660nm (2ft each) Sun-Rise & Flower
2 Each 420nm (2ft each) Veg ONLY
2 Each 460nm (2ft each) Veg ONLY
2 Each 633nm (2ft each) Flower ONLY
5 Each UVA/B Full Spectrum (2ft each) ON VEG & FLOWER

LED 2 Each
FAR-RED Puck (730nm) ON 15 min lights out

TOTAL = 616w (Not counting the far-red)

power everything included is running at 1000 to 1100w lights on so reducing that
is a goal.

My set-up has morphed over time, it changes every time I read something new :rofl:

ENVIRONMENT

LIGHTING

LIGHTS USED

HID
1 Each
400W MH (Veg) 400W HPS (Flower)

T5s
2 Each

LED 2 Each

I think I was using Black Dogs back then, I sold them while taking a break, which was a huge mistake I loved those lights. I've also used Ursa, Rapid, G8, 2 different styles from Platinum, Perfect Sun, and Spectrum King. The Black Dogs kicked the crap out of all of them, but the 2 400 watt fixtures cost $3000 ( they've come down in price). for less than $200 you can make a very nice light with QBs... I'll need to make enough for a 4x6 area, but it wont be $3000. I'm using HPS and CMH in the main grow area, and a 400watt Spectrum King in a closet.

I think you have the right idea. Q Boards are wildly popular... you never hear about cobs anymore. I will be doing QBs on my next round of lights.

My system has changed quite a bit since the beginning too. I'm a gadget junky, which makes this hobby really interesting

is a goal.

ENVIRONMENT

LIGHTING

LIGHTS USED

HID
1 Each
400W MH (Veg) 400W HPS (Flower)

T5s
2 Each

LED 2 Each

I dig your avatar

I'm torn between doing scrog or just going au natural....
Going to have to make up my mind soon.
I'v been LSTing in veg for 6 weeks now.
Switch to 12/12 is imminent
I love the improvement for yield with scrog
But in a tent it's such a PITA to hand water
I dunno what to do
If your LST (ing) you should be just fine. It's basically the same thing. I think you're good. Watering can really suck in this situation. My issue with soil was vacuuming out the "used" water from the trays.

Theres always hydro! I know it's a bit late for this grow, but a nice RDWC will give you damn near perfect nutrient saturation, a much faster route to flower, ease of water/feeding, etc. Big you will need to own and learn to use a meter, no big deal, but it's another expense. And you will need a bit of creativity snd some space when putting your new system together.

I love to blather on about my system if you decide to give it a try let's talk

I'm torn between doing scrog or just going au natural....
Going to have to make up my mind soon.
I'v been LSTing in veg for 6 weeks now.
Switch to 12/12 is imminent
I love the improvement for yield with scrog
But in a tent it's such a PITA to hand water
I dunno what to do

I use a DIY Water Ring made from garden drip nozzles with a cheap aquarium water pump
and a 1 min on / 5 minute off cycle (slow top down, wicking type soil watering)

I Just mix up the H20/DRENCH in a five gallon bucket, drop pump in bucket and attach
hose, 45 minutes later Its finished. I do know exactly how much the pots will hold before run-off
so run-off is minimal

I'm growing in 100% coco, so it is hydro
But you're right on the point of RDWC... I might try that next time
The other thing I could do is invest in an auto watering rig like Alien
Wife will not be happy if I spend more money haha

I use a DIY Water Ring made from garden drip nozzles with a cheap aquarium water pump
and a 1 min on / 5 minute off cycle (slow top down, wicking type soil watering)

Just mix up the H20/DRENCH in a five gallon bucket, drop pump in bucket and attach
hose, 45 minutes later Its finished. I do know exactly how much the pots will hold before run-off
so run-off is minimal
Sounds good. I would like to offer that a good soaking helps get rid of salts. Are you running a thread? I'll check it out

I'm growing in 100% coco, so it is hydro
But you're right on the point of RDWC... I might try that next time
The other thing I could do is invest in an auto watering rig like Alien
Wife will not be happy if I spend more money haha
Nice. Oh dude, I completely understand what you're saying about the wifey. My wife smokes out very rarely, so explaining to her that " this round will smell like strawberries" doesnt seem to work

Nice. Oh dude, I completely understand what you're saying about the wifey. My wife smokes out very rarely, so explaining to her that " this round will smell like strawberries" doesnt seem to work
I hear you... I'm late into Veg and even with the extraction fan running full tilt, she walks into the house and says, "it smells like dope in here" :rolleyes:

I hear you... I'm late into Veg and even with the extraction fan running full tilt, she walks into the house and says, "it smells like dope in here" :rolleyes:
That's when you say. " you're welcome"

Sounds good. I would like to offer that a good soaking helps get rid of salts. Are you running a thread? I'll check it out

I do have a running thread but its been an ongoing thread for over a year

LINK below
ON GOING Grow

Just be advised I am extremely anal for Detail and I skip around a lot :rofl:
Also I let my OCD Run un-checked in my grow so it can be a bit over the top.
Actually find Growing is a great release for my many issues

Back
Top Bottom