Unique room and security

ganjaballz

Hey a-

I'm thinking about buying a decent sized tent to set up in an attic or garage and then place a grow chamber inside it. (Odor control, water and vent sources nearby and a small window-unit type AC for cooling the tent.

Has anyone done something like this? I'd prefer to build an actual room, even dig out an underground chamber but I have some limitations as to what I can and can't do and would like to balance the grow fund w/ more allowance for other line items.

I've been thinking of building a fire-proof grow chamber with electronic sealing (disconnect power and all air, water etc connections if power is lost, switching to an internal battery backup) and configure the chamber to incinerate itself if anyone enters the building without a code, RFID chip and second code before entering the chamber room.

The idea being that anyone without authorization sets off a chain of events that ends with the contents of the grow chamber becoming ash which is then sucked out and flushed. I need to figure out what chemical to use to spray the interior down with to sterilize it though...

I know it sounds pretty out there but I know I can do it and how to do it safely (there are systems for computer and document security that do the same thing) - I'm just thinking someone else has probably done it already.

Re: Unique room and security...

My specialty is attic grow rooms. You don't need the ac unit if you put in a vent to an air conditioned room and then use a bathroom fan to draw the air through your space. Then you take the outlet from the fan and filter it through an active charcoal filter. What i have built for guys who are really concerned about smell is a separate box that has a couple ion filters to scrub the air after the charcoal filter. A bit more work, but no stinky. Also when you finish your grow you can hang your plants to dry in the box to slow dry with a contant flow of air and again no stinky.

Has anyone performed any testing of materials for blocking or reducing heat signatures as seen through thermal imaging devices? Part of the appeal of using an attic is the other sources of heat.

I'm curious if the mylar type space blankets would help reduce or break up the thermal image of a grow chamber?

That sounds like one crazy grow room ya got in mind that's for sure. I'm really intrigued as to how it all turns out. As for the thermal film I saw a video or set of pics somewhere that showed the thermal image of both a tent with it and one without. I think it was when I was checking out the growlab tents.

I've checked into C3 (Mylar with thermal blocking properties) but it's banned in the US now thanks to the Military using it. It can be ordered from various greenhouse suppliers overseas but that's adding yet another import which might create problems. (And it's expensive).

My concern is the recent test NORML staged in TX where they managed to get a house raided by local police and clearly proved in the process that they were "hunting" grow ops with FLIR and using other "non-warrant" processes. I don't know how the lawsuit turned out if at all but it clearly shows being paranoid is well worth it depending on where you live.

Regular "space blankets" have some amount of heat reflection in them and are dirt cheap. I'm thinking of using a layered defense (keep in mind my best grow chamber location is in the attic already so I have to be creative w/ venting and thermal blocking):

Layer 1: Run A/C ducting through the attic space w/ vent fans to push airflow through them. Connect this ducting to a large, custom built odor elimination device (Actually two devices into two duct paths).

Layer 2: Line the attic ceiling with heat shield (C3, space blankets, etc). A nice layer of insulation is already in place.

Layer 3: Drop cloth "tent" defines widest boundary. Line one side of drop cloth (heavy canvas type) with more heat shield mylar.

Layer 4: Inner tent. Wall type tent, probably an arctic model. A duct from existing AC system will run into this tent to cool it, may add a small window unit or garage AC if needed. I plan to add a comfy chair, laptop and dorm fridge. I'll put my darkroom equipment in this space and am thinking about setting up a small home theater w/ an extra projector I have. This will be my "chill" room where I can go smoke without stinking up the house and monitor my grow.

Layer 5: Grow chamber w/ typical heat and light shielding. Thermostat controlled intake from AC space in Layer 4 tent. Exhaust goes to layer 1 odor control and ducts. I want to set up two of the larger "armoire" size systems so I can keep two grows going at the same time in two different stages. This would probably make more yield than I can use (this grow is just for me and my old lady - no selling, sharing, etc - no one else will know other than you fine folks and the two of us). I plan to experiment with genetics and process improvements so the dual chamber op will help with that.

My hold up is on my seeds. I'm really worried about ordering from outside the US but AFAIK there's no one inside the US to order from. Then I'm wondering if it should be UK or Canada to order from? Should I use a PO box or mail drop service, etc, etc. Once I solve the seed issue I'm gold.

Need help w/ configuration

I need some help deciding which grow system to go with and which seeds to use for my first indoor, stealth grow.

I have an aero garden which I planned to use until the plants are about to be too large. At that point, what should I switch to?

1. My self designed hydroponics system
2. Hempy System
3. Standard soil pots

Lighting is becoming an issue. There's so much great info here but it gets a little overwhelming. Given it's a first time I'm leaning towards CFLs. I wanted to do an LED setup but with all the drama I think it may be wise to sit back and see what develops, especially with future designs and mix timed / wavelengths. (I'll probably build my own LED system at some point anyway)

My seed options consist of:

Short stuff mix pack, (autoflowering): Indica, Sativa, Ruderalis, Indica / Sativa

DNA Rocklock (feminized)

Reserva Privada Cole Train (feminized)

From what I've read it looks like the best noob grow might be using the Rocklock.

Back
Top Bottom