Urgent help - New seedlings popped up

Phillipallman

Hi guys amazing news after failing and failing to germinate and sprout seeds finally a few have poked out of the soil with the shell still a bit around there heads and the others are starting to show under the top layer of soil so hopefully won't be long first off should I be whacking the cfl light on now they are above the soil even if the shells still there ?? Secondly I have them in a heated humidity dome with the vents closed to build heat and humidity should I open them vents a bit ?? Any other advice thank you

Keep everything as is! You are finally getting good results so leave it alone. They like it warm and humid for the first few weeks. Just water and nothing else. Do not overwater, that is the biggest mistake people make. Let the soil completely dry out before watering again. Lift method works the best. Get use to the weight when dry and remember it! Only water when needed. Not sure what they in, but most put in a solo cup. Water and should last close to 4-5 days. Plant is small and won't take up much water. No nutes or anything like that. A solid week or more of light, warmth, humidity and water that's it.... Happy Growing!

If the question is whether to put a light above them? Yes :thumb:

Personally I don't use a dome because I find things fester and rot too easily. Depends on your outside humidity though, it may be helpful if yours is very low. I'd give them some ventilation at least.

Thanks mate I've got them in peat pellets/jiffy pellets and they do dry quickly so misting them and a spoon of water a day its cold in my home hence the humidity dome with heat mat lol should I run the light flat out 24 hours ?? And is it a definite that they will grow in to a plant now they have sprouted ?? 6 have sprouted 5 are starting to show through the soil and the rest are still hiding

They'll do fine under 24 hours or 18. I usually do 18, but if you think they need that extra bit of warmth from the light you could leave it on 24 hours. Yes of course they'll grow into plants if something doesn't go wrong. The most common problem, to watch out for at this stage is root rot from overwatering and/or cold. And they do need fresh air flow. The air should seem reasonably fresh inside that dome. Watch out if it smells stale in there or seems to have a warm steamy rotting climate.
When it comes time to plant them I'd take some scissors and cut away some of the cloth covering on the peat pellets (if that's the type you're using) it hinders root growth IME.

I'm taking the lid off the dome every few hours to give them some fresh air etc it's not hot in there just a cozy temperature they should be fine when going to my grow room it's about 60-70% humidity in there just the room temperature Is cold but when the hps lights are on its so hot in the room lol I'm trying not to over water but it's hard to tell how damp it is on the inside off the peat pellets

Thats true mate I've got a 300 watt cfl behind the humidity dome for the light so ill leave that on now and not water them till Tomorrow time I'm excited never dealing with seeds again to be honest 30 seeds later and 150 spent on them I rather take clones lol

Haha yea the cfl is all I got apart from 4 600w hps lights haha and aye hopefully they will grow more now and become plants can't see why they wouldn't and thank you guys

Sounds good. They don't need much light so a 300 watt wouldn't need to be close. I'm sure you'll baby them like any good mother at this point. :thumb:

Forgot to ask you mate one of the seeds that's sprouted out of the soil is curled a bit so it isn't pointing straight up the head/shell is curled around nearly facing downwards none of them have full shredded there shell yet ??

I never pay attention to that stuff. Just keep the moisture and temperature levels right, some air and a bit of light on them and they'll grow fine as they've evolved to do.

Back
Top Bottom