USDA Article: Using Vitamin C To Neutralize Chlorine in Water Systems

operators don’t say neutralizing Cl2……..operators, analyst, electricians, maintenance staff, venders and even savvy engineers say—dechlorinate

Vitamin C maybe doable for package plants and seasonal discharges but is minimal help to the receiving waters at any scale.
Eliminating Cl2 for disinfection is what has been looked at for years and the alternatives haven’t proven effective. Ozone is too dangerous and expensive. UV lamps are a maintenance nightmare and Chlor/dechlor has to be used as a back up for equipment failure.
so now The focus is shifting to a safer method of dechlorination—but you still have those good old chloramines in the end.

Vitamin C breaks down chloramines too. I don't store the water after dechlorinating, I use it to mix my nutrient solutions and then use them promptly. My tap water smells and tastes bad so I filter it for me and my plants. For my plants I like to remove as many of the unknown dissolved solids as I can. Probably mostly calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate but unless you pay to have it analyzed you don't know how much of each and what else is in there, so I start from scratch with highly purified deionized or distilled water when mixing nutrient solutions for my babies.

Vitamin C breaks down chloramines too. I don't store the water after dechlorinating, I use it to mix my nutrient solutions and then use them promptly. My tap water smells and tastes bad so I filter it for me and my plants. For my plants I like to remove as many of the unknown dissolved solids as I can. Probably mostly calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate but unless you pay to have it analyzed you don't know how much of each and what else is in there, so I start from scratch with highly purified deionized or distilled water when mixing nutrient solutions for my babies.
How do you confirm cl2 residual in your tap water? I understand it’s smells bad and you filter (activated charcoal?) to remove dissolved solids. How do you dechlorinate (neutralize) your tap water? And how do you confirm zero cl2 residual in your tap water after dechlorination?

the paper is aimed at the water treatment professionals to dechlorinate with safer products. I didn’t know you were using this at the at diy level.

Back
Top Bottom