Veg & flower rooms question

extremophile420

420 Member
I recently posted in the design section that i was going to build a 2x6x7 grow cabinet, split at 4 width, giving me two rooms, 2x4 flowering room and 2x2 veg room and clone (upper area) room.

Someone just told me that my design is not efficient and i my dimensions are wrong. My plan was to do a perpetual harvest with 2 plants in 5 gallons pots, they said that the 2x2 veg area will not be enough area to veg two plants in 5 gallon pots for two or more months, and if i wanna reduce pot size and veg time then the 2x4 flower space is not really necessary because i can yield the same in 2x2 with one plant in bigger container and longer veg.
They suggested and i build a 2x4x7 area split into two 2x2 one for veg and one for flower and grow one plant in each. or make the veg room bigger if i want to grow two plants(cannot happen since i have size limitations).

Is that right? A 2x2 cannot hold two vegging plants for 8+ in 5 gallon pots? I am on a budget so it my plan is not efficient i would scale down the cabinet size and spend the money on something more productive.
My plan is to harvest around 250grams each cycle (2-3 months), will a 2x2 area with appropriate lighting and environment be able to put that weight?

i'm not sure if 2 5 gallon pots could fit comfortably in a 2x2. but if it was me i'd split it in half and try 2 plants in 2x3 space. just try it man. you can always train and crop to make them fit.

2x2 is not enough room for 2 good sized flowering plants, but it is enough for 3 or 4 vegging plants that are getting ready to go into flower. If you add in a 2x4 for flowering, you will have enough room for 3 flowering plants, as well as many of the standard sized lights with enough room to include a good carbon filter along with a fan or two, humidifier and a small heater, or with careful planning and not a lot of the extra equipment in there, you might even be able to flower 4 crowded plants, but they would be getting in each other's way big time and you would quickly reach a point of diminishing returns if you ran that many large plants in there.
I started this years ago thinking I could build a cabinet for growing... After I realized how much money I was spending on lumber, latches, electric, paint, mylar, crack sealant... I bought a tent... my first 4x4. That improved things tremendously and ended up being much cheaper and more efficient than the wooden cabinet. I still have lumber laying around from that boondoggle. Good luck however you go... you have enough room there to do some interesting things. If you can find room for a 4x4, do it... the things you can do in there are amazing.

I have just been thinking about the same sort of scenario.
I'm currently using a 2x4 for flowering and I have 3 plants in 5gal pots, really it's only big enough to for 2 plants using 5gal pots.
I have the same space available as you do and I've decided to split my space into 2x3.5 and 2x2.5 by custom building a grow space.
This should be perfect as I will have room in my veg area for 2 plants in the 5 gal (2x2 would be very tight)
I will then have the extra foot width in the flower space to train the plants into without too much overlap.
My plan is to start seedlings when I'm in week 2 of flower so it will give me 6-7 weeks veg time which should fill that space pretty well.

I'll tell you 2×6 can get very tight when they bush out.
This is two autos in 5 gal squeezed in one side.

I love my cabinet but thats what i do. Materials would get pricey if i paid for all of it. Fortunately all materials i had laying around, (spent 20$ on latches, white paint) everybody walks right past it any never even questions it.
20190930_213726.jpg
20191229_193324.jpg
20190930_224949.jpg
20190930_224607.jpg

I'll tell you 2×6 can get very tight when they bush out.
This is two autos in 5 gal squeezed in one side.

I love my cabinet but thats what i do. Materials would get pricey if i paid for all of it. Fortunately all materials i had laying around, (spent 20$ on latches, white paint) everybody walks right past it any never even questions it.
20190930_213726.jpg
20191229_193324.jpg
20190930_224949.jpg
20190930_224607.jpg
The bushy plant in tue second picture, do you think that'll fit in a 2x2? Nice cabinet. I plan to make mine all white with wheels and locks.

Back
Top Bottom