very little odor?

paul1791

I am in the 3rd week of flowering and am very surprised that my plants are not putting out a strong smell yet. I do not even have my exhaust going outside and you wouldn't know I am growing. I am not concerned or anything just a little puzzled. Anyone?

Thanks man...its just that i remember growing b4 and the whole house smelled when the plants were in the veg stage . As I am now into the 3rd week of flowering and hardly any smell is surprising.

In addition to Zodiaks comment, the smell will ebb, and flow from one day to the next with some strains. The true test is how it smokes, not how it smells.

Whoa, i thought this thread was :rip:
Odor is strain specific, but if a plant isnt giving its trademark odor, usually overfertilizing is the culprit.

Re: very little odor ?

Did you not understand what I said or should I clarify?

I am also waiting for you to clarify..... I can't wait to hear this one....

i read it right,,, lol where did u hear that from? smell is stress..

Huh? im confused.. i wasnt trying to speak on all plants, i just know during my first grow my ladies didnt smell much until i realized the leaves were really dark and they were overferting, 3 days after a 3x volume flush, 2 plants were able to stink up a whole house. But idk that's just my experience :smokin:

Oder is the first thing to go when a plant is stressed. I'd also add that 3 weeks is waaaay too early to be concerned about smell. Now if you were at six weeks with no smell, then you have a problem.

This is what you said, which is not true... It is more strain specific....I guess I should throw away my carbon filters and stress the plants a little bit...

I am not going to sit here and argue about it.. Maybe you can back it up with some literature or possibly some others will jump in.. I see bad info around here sometimes and would rather not be one spreading it, so maybe you could prove your statements. Experience counts, but sometimes that is just not enough.. I would really love to know how you could tell if a few plants didn't have any odor when you have fifty plants in there? :peace:

No. Odor is only strain specific if you're doing everything correctly. If you're hurting your plants, the odor is the first thing to go. I've had plants yield as well as any other in the room but were stressed by mites. The end result was odorless bud. I've had pests get in from the start and not only affect the odor, but the yield as well. When I was dialing in my hydro system, I was flooding/feeding too much and the result was odorless bud (which was burnt and harsh, it got thrown away). 1800 watts of my room is dirt and if I miss a few waterings, the odor suffers. The control in my experience is the fact that I always clone from 2 mothers so I know exactly how my product should look, smell and taste when grown flawlessly. You simply cannot grow stressed plants and expect them to be fragrant.

i'm sorry homeberwer but you'll never convince me or other that ur statement is true..

I chop the soil plants individually on a perpetual harvest.

Here is an experiment that you can do if you do not agree with me: purposely water 1 plant in your garden 1 day later than it actually needs it. This means that each time you're watering, the plant is showing signs of wilt. I'm positive after a full 60 days of this, your plant will be MUCH less fragrant than your others which should have been cared for correctly.

BTW, I'm not trying to argue, I'm simply stating my experience. Kudos to you if you've never had a pest problem that wiped out a 25 plant harvest. Cheers to the guy who has never had to leave for the weekend with no one to tend their plants. I don't work with 6 plants at a time here. I flower 30 under 3k watts and veg/clone 50 at a time under 650watts. Working on this scale for 8 years has given me enough experience to write a book.
My experience has been different. I've seen where if you stress a plant alittle it produces more trichs as a self defense mechanism and hence gets both stickier and stinkier. Just don't stress them too much or the production will decrease.

EDIT: There was a typo in one of my posts. I meant to say I harvest 30 plants every 60 days. I wrote 60 plants which is incorrect.

My experience has been different. Lightly stressed plants will produce more resin as a self defense mechanism from being stressed. Hence they'll get stickier and usually a little stinkier. There are strains though that just don't hardly smell at all and others that will stink even during vegging.

No. Odor is only strain specific if you're doing everything correctly. If you're hurting your plants, the odor is the first thing to go. I've had plants yield as well as any other in the room but were stressed by mites. The end result was odorless bud. I've had pests get in from the start and not only affect the odor, but the yield as well. When I was dialing in my hydro system, I was flooding/feeding too much and the result was odorless bud (which was burnt and harsh, it got thrown away). 1800 watts of my room is dirt and if I miss a few waterings, the odor suffers. The control in my experience is the fact that I always clone from 2 mothers so I know exactly how my product should look, smell and taste when grown flawlessly. You simply cannot grow stressed plants and expect them to be fragrant.

So what you're saying is that it could be strain specific, since you're only growing from two mothers - so at the most two strains? Or have you had other strains that have suffered stress over the 8 years?

What strains are you running?

Zodiakgrower7, your opinion of HomeBrewer, in my opinion, holds less weight then the information he's posted regarding his experience. Most people here can't verify either one of your credentials, but if you have you own opinion why not back it up with some personal experience based on an objective analysis of your growing results of various strains over time? Calling him a liar without knowing him or having first hand experience of the results of his efforts lacks integrity.

Think about it - what does he have to gain by putting the effort into this thread to answer the question? Absolutely nothing. I hope the fact that you two bumped heads with a different opinion on another thread won't bring out some sort of closed minded prejudice.

It should be clear that there are many factors that are going to affect the aroma. If you've never had a plant that didn't smell like you expected, great.

I think you, he, and I all probably have something to learn about tact and compassion. Fortunately, sincere members here are all hoping that Cannabis, the highest form of compassion, will some day be legal, and that's where we should all focus our energies...bringing the team together instead of pulling it apart. :peace:

Homebrewer, your theory of odor is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. Of course stress effects yield but not odor, that is simply your opinion, not fact.

Why don't you read a bit more carefully?

It was never offered as fact but an observation on his part.

I've been growing probably longer than you've been alive and have seen plants do such weird things nothing much would surprise me. Observations are just that, observations. Take them with a grain of salt if you want, but to just dismiss them out of hand is narrow minded and borders on stupidity.

Your response has no more 'fact' than his. Less even, since you didn't offer an observation that was different.

EDIT: Guess HB posted those pics while I was typing. Impressed the hell out of me and gives mucho weight to HB's observations.

Very nice set up HB! Props to you.

Naysayers, let's see YOUR pics!

DD

Back
Top Bottom