How to control odor

Fr0stb1t397

420 Member
Hello I want to start growing cannabis but I am concerned about odor control for my grow tent and the surrounding space. I’m want to grow 5 plants of strawberry kush and would like to know the best options to keep the odor contains to the room I have my tent in.

carbon scrubber, vent to outdoor.
will likely have no choice but to vent outdoor for heat control as well.
it's the standard setup.

is this your first post ? welcome to 420 frost

Good question ... and welcome to 420 magazine ... you could try ...

• Running an exhaust fan 24-0 with a carbon filter
  • Vent the exhaust directly outside
  • Keep the windows and doors closed
  • Keep the tent closed and the passive tent vents closed
  • When the plant flowers ... be careful not to touch the buds and break trichomes
  • When you harvest ... hang the plants to dry in the tent

Good luck with your grow :)

there are a few different ways to set up a fan and filter combo. the standard method doesn't always fit the situation.

graphic that may help a bit..

e7c967928c21e0735ec5b5d4c4b8ad40.jpg

hope i can post it

kinda the most common setups...

afa63b0a-ae53-40a8-b440-c1feb00711b6_1.2f8d3e0f03ae0cc89e5f8189e8f82d47.jpeg

hope that helps.

carbon scrubber, vent to outdoor.
will likely have no choice but to vent outdoor for heat control as well.
it's the standard setup.

is this your first post ? welcome to 420 frost
Thank you
Could vent the heat to the room it’s self I have the tent in my room and I keep 3 fans in my room to keep it colder than the rest of my house

Thank you
Could vent the heat to the room it’s self I have the tent in my room and I keep 3 fans in my room to keep it colder than the rest of my house

i have done something similar in the past. if you are in a heated indoor space, you may need to move the grow space air outdoor. particularly in flower. other wise you create a feedback loop, the grow space will draw from the same air you are venting. even venting to another separate indoor area is usually preferable.

i have done something similar in the past. if you are in a heated indoor space, you may need to move the grow space air outdoor. particularly in flower. other wise you create a feedback loop, the grow space will draw from the same air you are venting. even venting to another separate indoor area is usually preferable.
If I do run the vent Outside would there be a noticeable smell with a carbon filter in use

Okay what would a good size carbon filter and fan for a 4x4 grow tent?

something pulling about 200 cfm should do as a ballpark. depending on what your lighting adds for heat. i shoot for enough cfm to replace the air every 2 - 3 minutes in the grow space as minimum.

If I do run the vent Outside would there be a noticeable smell with a carbon filter in use

that's what the scrubber is for.. ;)

in the picture example above showing the filter (inside the tent) as an exhaust filter, could you put another filter on the outside as well (using two filters - one inside and one outside) and then out the window - or is this just super overkill?

in the picture example above showing the filter (inside the tent) as an exhaust filter, could you put another filter on the outside as well (using two filters - one inside and one outside) and then out the window - or is this just super overkill?

probably not needed, and will require an oversize fan to run.

I run the filter inside the room with the tent. No problems. No odor. I run the vent into the vicinity of a partly opened window. A vent is not something I can advertise to my neighbors.

i was told that if the fan is rated at 200cfm make sure the filter is rated 200cfm or don't run the fan over the rating of the filter or it will not remove all of the smell. is this true i do not know but it makes sense.

Yes.

What about during flowering

you can get away without the filter during veg, and even for the first couple weeks of flowering if you're venting outside. I'm in week 2 of flower and yet to hook up my filter. i just keep the exhaust fan on 24/7. also i do #2 on the chart. i like the fan motor outside of the tent pulling the air out with the filter inside the tent when i do hook it up.

I was surprised on how well a carbon filter works, I would defiantly recommend this.

Back
Top Bottom