In a newbie grower on my first plant
What Strain is it? Unknown
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Unknown
How Many Plants? 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Seedling
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 10 days since sprout
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Fox farm ocean forest potting soil.
If Soil... What Size Pot? Small
Size (Wattage) of Light? 1 14w T5
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? About 75F
RH of Room/Cabinet? Unknown
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Don't know
Any Pests? None
How Often are you Watering? About 2 times a week
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? None yet
Size or Square Footage of Room? not set up yet

Problem: my plant is very small still and is slowly growing it's second set of leaves the other plant is already on it's 3rd set of leaves. I'm concerned that it may be suffering from light stress or heat stress. I moved the plant closer to the light and the leaves started pointing up and now the tip of 1 of the leaves is like a yellowish-brown. I've since moved it away and it seems to be growing but very slowly. I know it needs stronger lights I'm ordering them. Also the bigger plant is in a slightly smaller pot.

Thank you for the reply. I should of put them in the same containers but didn't think it would make a difference. The bigger one is aeggier but i think that's because it had to stretch more for the light then the small one. Could it just be that it's stretching out it's roots?

dont worry at all.
unless its physically touching your plant, i doubt very much your going to burn it with a 14w t5 (unless you been leaving water droplets on the leaves to act as magnifying glass).

i cannot speak for your soil as i have no experience with that brand. im sure its well documented, it might possibly be a little strong but probably not as its a potting soil mix...worth a little investigation.

also having grown over 30 of the same plant strain at the same time, its very common to see some variation in growth rates and occasional mutations. when people refer to a very stable strain, its good precisely because there is some improvement on how much the plants behave the same.

just keep an eye on it and dont poke and prod it too much and if its topical damage it will just heal and catch up on its own.

and finally, it always helps massively if we have pictures to help make a diagnosis, it would be great if you could snap a pic or two so we can see what type of damage is occouring =)

Here are some pictures they were taken with a camera phone I'll try to get better ones soon

The leaf tip isn't curling or anything just yellow

I checked it today and it has shown some growth since yesterday, but I noticed the first 2 seedling leaves are starting to yellow is that normal? The other plant hasn't shown any yellowing though and their both in the same soil.

when you say first leaves, do you mean the round smooth cotyledon leafs that first form as they sprout, or the first jagged leaves that appear some time after, if its the coty leaves, thats perfectly normal...in fact both of those leaves i mentioned can often yellow away and die on many plants. they are really only just to establish the plant, once it starts making real leaves they become redundant.

Oh OK good I meant the first 2 seedling leaves not the true leaves I was worried it could be related. The plant is starting to look better but it's still growing quite slow and pretty small. Should it it speed up it's growing soon?

Oh OK good I meant the first 2 seedling leaves not the true leaves I was worried it could be related. The plant is starting to look better but it's still growing quite slow and pretty small. Should it it speed up it's growing soon?

Howlong have u had em for? Maybe is time for a transplant, what size containers are they in?

its perfectly normal to see some slowdown.

its my understanding that the plant quickly pushes down a tap root, then tries to sprout a few true leaves. at this point the plant has managed to provide an income of nutrients and energy greater than its birth stores. now it works hard at pushing out lots of little roots to secure its footing. very soon it will be happy with its roots and the plant itself will start to shoot up too, then after a few weeks of this youll be in crazy veg stage ;)

Back
Top Bottom