A little help with plants that could be doing better

Unfortunately it’s in flowering that deficiencies tend to show up if they are going to. Veg is a lot more straightforward. And often the problems will show most in the parts that are best lit where there’s the most plant activity- so it may not be a problem from the light itself. Usually problems get compounded which is why it is rarely simple to guess at deficiencies & much better to try and control the basics like PH and feeding levels from the outset. Not saying it’s easy- just that it’s better to be working at the front end of the horse tending and feeding it properly, than mucking around at the rear end after it gets the shits.

Just out of curiosity do you know what the actual wattages of your lights are- what they draw from the wall? That’s the wattage that matters more. There’s endless confusion over LED light wattages since the manufacturers sort of write any ol’ number on there.

Just out of curiosity do you know what the actual wattages of your lights are- what they draw from the wall? That’s the wattage that matters more. There’s endless confusion over LED light wattages since the manufacturers sort of write any ol’ number on there.[/QUOTE]

I believe the mars reflector draws 240 actual watts, as far as the mars cree, i would guess around 400 watts

I don’t grow with LED but I’ve never heard of anyone having too much light, as long as your plants aren’t too close to them. In which case you would see burning or bleaching.

I really despise Mars Hydro lights (great company and people just the lights themselves) I have no ends of problems when growing with those lights. As for your problem though it does look like the plants need a phosphorus boost, but what are your lights off temps? If your grow area is getting too cold when the lights are off that could be the cause of the purpling leaves. As for the Thrips a combination treatment of SMC 90 and Diatomaceous Earth (every grow should have some) worked a charm, although I wouldn't recommend using the SMC 90 during your flowering phase.

ok guys just double checked my ph and its solid at 6.0. Any other thoughts. I feel like my light is too strong even at that height. Like I said, when I put my "sick" plant outside is immediately did much better. I think it something to do with environment, not nutrients. Also, my last couple plants did not stretch one bit. I figured because of the intense light. I dont have much more room to move it up. Plus the plant is very short

I can’t comment about your specific light but I don’t see any sign of light burning or bleaching from them being too close- looks more like deficiencies. Also- even a ph 6 is a little too high IMO. I don’t let my mix get above 5.8 if I can help it.

What Marz said sounds like it might be a very good insight.

The issue, IMHO, is related to PH (although, if you had a fan blowing directly on the plant, it could also explain some of it!).

@Weaselcracker is 420% correct - there is no signs of light bleaching which would be most evident at the top of the plant and I can see issues with the lower growth. 6.5 is correct PH for soil but too high for coco/hydro

If you're concerned about the light, go ahead and move it up to the point you're able, but if you don't straighten out your PH, I would expect your issues to continue.
:Namaste:

Might be a little bit too much light, total three lights in a 2x4 grow tent, is a little too much!

Sara, it's not the number of lights that matter, it's the power/intensity. He said he's running a 600w. 240w and a 40w. The actual power draw on all three of those lights combined is likely something like 400w-450w which is not too much light for a 2' x 4' and, there is no sign of light burn/bleaching. If he had (10) 23w CFL's and that wouldn't be too many lights, right? ;)

Sara, it's not the number of lights that matter, it's the power/intensity. He said he's running a 600w. 240w and a 40w. The actual power draw on all three of those lights combined is likely something like 400w-450w which is not too much light for a 2' x 4' and, there is no sign of light burn/bleaching. If he had (10) 23w CFL's and that wouldn't be too many lights, right? ;)
Yep, maybe I explain wrong way, but I mean the same. ;) Too much powerful for the 2x4 tent. :)

I was reading reviews about some lights.. I can't remember exact details, so the stats I state aren't correct, just giving you an idea of what was said.. dude asked what light he could have, as the 300w was advertised for his area but he wanted to know whether it was worth going the 500 for the extra kick. He was advised that the 300 was perfect for what he wanted but if he wanted to go to the 600, he must have a co2 enriched environment... Not saying it relates here but some bastardised info worth having or looking into..

I was reading reviews about some lights.. I can't remember exact details, so the stats I state aren't correct, just giving you an idea of what was said.. dude asked what light he could have, as the 300w was advertised for his area but he wanted to know whether it was worth going the 500 for the extra kick. He was advised that the 300 was perfect for what he wanted but if he wanted to go to the 600, he must have a co2 enriched environment... Not saying it relates here but some bastardised info worth having or looking into..

Were they LED's? The actual power draw on LED's is only about 50% of their often-rated wattage. For example, if the light has 100 10w chips, they advertise it as a 1,000w light. But, if you measure power out of the wall, you'll see it only draws something like 500 watts, or so. This is because the manufacturers do not drive the diodes to full capacity to reduce heat, extend life, etc.

As I said, I don't believe the 400-450w of ACTUAL draw he has is too much for that space.

Yeah LEDs... My stats are just examples not the actual statistics used...

Not all LEDs are measured like that, mostly cheap ones trying to come across bigger than they are, lol... That was true four five year ago but now most will be stated at wattage coming from the Wall.. otherwise keep away from fake advertisment, lol...

Were they LED's? The actual power draw on LED's is only about 50% of their often-rated wattage. For example, if the light has 100 10w chips, they advertise it as a 1,000w light. But, if you measure power out of the wall, you'll see it only draws something like 500 watts, or so. This is because the manufacturers do not drive the diodes to full capacity to reduce heat, extend life, etc.

As I said, I don't believe the 400-450w of ACTUAL draw he has is too much for that space.
Nowadays, there are a lot brand selling 10w lights, like 1000w, 100x10w; 2000w 200x10w; but the actual wattage is only around 2~2.5w per chip, it is now not half misleading, it is like 3/4 misleading :(

My lights are advertised as a 100watt, 450 watt and a 600 watt i believe. Actual watts are 40, 240, and 300-400 i believe. Im hoping my problem is ph inconsistency, since i havent been check it as much as i should be. Im starting to notice more ph fluctuation from my tap dependingon how long water is sitting it pails with or without nutrients. Thanks everyone for feedback. Ill keep you guys posted on how they look

How to grow in Coco - Feed schedule
Looks like phosphorus deficiency. Maybe as a result of pH.
And I second that thought !! Also, from my understanding, your ppm # is a little low. Also you need to feed coco, at least once per day, everyday, if you want to gain the benefits of growing hydroponically. Led lights are getting better, but I'm still using hids. 400w hid (air cooled) would rock that 2x4 . I'm currently looking into building a led light, using a kit, q/board/cob combo. Mostly for saving a few bucks on electric bill.
I think the white widow plant is probably too far into bloom for anything you do now, making much of a difference. The one in bloom for only two wks. is what I'd concentrate on. But i'd go to ph 5.8 and not more than 6.0. Feed about an hr. after lights on. You want to only give them enough, so the pots will be lite weight again, 24 hrs. later. I almost never get runoff, growing in coco. And If a pot is not lite 24 hrs. later, then find out why that plant or plants is not sucking water, like the others. I mean, if you're growing 4 plants, all the same strain, and one is not eating like the others, then common sense tells me something is wrong. I do suspect ph to be your main issue, but i still haven't developed a trust for cheaper led lights.
I would highly recommend member cultivator, as a consultant on coco and hydro. He has an old thread called, How to grow in Coco - Feed schedule . And read his other journals, he don't grow for fun, but for a living.
I've been playing in coco for awhile now with good success, but now I'm retreating to soil. Growing in coco is expensive, if done correctly. I'm giving organic super soil a try. Hoping for better end product ? Good luck to you !! My journal is called, inzane in the membrane grown in coast of Maine Stonington blend super soil. I will create a signature when i figure out how ?

@beast88 apologies for the misinformation regarding it looking like a phosphorus deficiency alone (or maybe the lights off temps too). I should learn to stfu when it comes to diagnosing plants as I realise that you may have tried pumping more P in and causing lock out on your plants, a mistake I make a lot myself but just trying to help and offer some options to look at.

I'll stand by the rest of the comments though, the SMC 90 and DE will work wonders against Thrips, and the MH lights won't work as well as you would hope they would, or for as long as you would hope either in my experience. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom