Want to learn how co2

beckernova

hello i was hoping some1 would help me with co2 setup.. first let me tell you what i know about a co2 setup.. (rambling here) i know you need co2 a regulator for the tank and some kind of timer. on the timer how many time's is it supose to come on when the lights are on? i know all your fans should be off at this time the co2 is on.. basically what do i need for a room 5'x5'x8' room?

it would be alot of help if you could show me pic's of what i need..
guys i would really! really! appreciate if you could help me, i just dont know where to start.. :thanks:

Sup. He...He.

The biggest thing that CO2 will come down to is what's your budget?

You can do several different options, but as you requested here's a couple of pics.

Tank Setup with CAP Controller, and PPM Monitor Controller, there's also a tank regulator you need to purchase.

MJ_537_1.jpg

MJ_529_1.jpg

How big is the room? Is there natural gas available, because you could do a CO2 generator. But some of this might be overkill if you are only growing 1, 2, 3 or 4 plants.

Just some thoughts.

SF

Well I'm not a tinkering kind of guy. So the picture above maintains the PPM at 1500 (the one with the LCD), the other controller, actually determines when the light is on, or off and only runs the CO2 solenoid during the Light cycle. It also can control a fan/and or Dehumidifer, and will only run these when the CO2 is not running. So basically, it's pretty idiot proof for me.

You could probably go the tank route, and then there are these bucket type systems, like on this thread: The Comprehensive which might work for you application. Combined with some type of timer setup to run during light hours.

So when you ask about times a day, it's hard to predict. Basically to get the optimal PPM (1500) you need some type of monitor. You don't want to many PPM or it could hurt your plants, and yourself.

Perhaps you'll get a couple more responses here for some additional input on the whole CO2 addition.

Hope this helps.

SF

Sup. He...He.

The biggest thing that CO2 will come down to is what's your budget?

You can do several different options, but as you requested here's a couple of pics.

Tank Setup with CAP Controller, and PPM Monitor Controller, there's also a tank regulator you need to purchase.

MJ_537_1.jpg

MJ_529_1.jpg

How big is the room? Is there natural gas available, because you could do a CO2 generator. But some of this might be overkill if you are only growing 1, 2, 3 or 4 plants.

Just some thoughts.

SF

Hello SF,
I recently purchased that same CAP model, but didn't get the additional PPM reader. I was wondering if you have any good links,books or tips about using it. I couldn't find alot of info on the forums.
I was wondering how often I need to vent the room completely? (how/where would i figure that out for a 1000 cubic foot room)
It's a little tricky without the reader, Finnacially id just prefer to wait. In your opinion Is it "do-able" with out it?
Thanks
M.E

Hello SF,
I recently purchased that same CAP model, but didn't get the additional PPM reader. I was wondering if you have any good links,books or tips about using it. I couldn't find alot of info on the forums.
I was wondering how often I need to vent the room completely? (how/where would i figure that out for a 1000 cubic foot room)
It's a little tricky without the reader, Finnacially id just prefer to wait. In your opinion Is it "do-able" with out it?
Thanks
M.E

Hey M.E.

Try my best to help you out man!

Here's what I get for approximately a 1000 cubic foot room

Grow room area: 968 cubic feet
Amount of CO2 required: 1.452 cubic feet
On time: 87.12 minutes

At this flow rate:
If you are using a 20 pound CO2 bottle with a regulator, it will last 174.8 hours.
If you have a CO2 Generator a 5 gallon propane tank will last 540 hours.

The calculator is located here:
CO2 Calculator - Greentrees Hydroponics

Here's the info from the CAP manual. You'll be able to adjust the timers on the device to match the On-time supplied from the calculator above. The unit has a light sensor to determine when it's the "dark" cycle and won't "fire" the CO2 during this time.

CAP Manual

CO2 BASICS
In order to maximize the benefits of CO2 enrichment, you must first control the air temperature and humidity levels. Then and only then can you control the CO2 level. The CO2-2e has the right tools for the job.

Carbon Dioxide is present in relatively low quantities (about 350 ppm) in your normal everyday air. But plant growth can be increased and accelerated if the level of CO2 is increased to 1000-1500 ppm. For this reason, we designed the CO2-2.

The CO2-2e CO2 control system was designed to be used for both compressed CO2 cylinders, and CO2 generators. The CO2 receptacle is 120 volts. It can run any load up to 15 amps. Compressed CO2 cylinders require an approved regulator / flow gauge and a valve.

If optimum CO2 “mileage” is desired, a self contained air conditioner or other “Closed loop” cooling method is recommended. A closed loop system will regulate temperatures within the zone allowing you to extend the CO2 maximum cycle time thus reducing CO2 use dramatically.

Another method of reducing heat build up includes utilizing “Air-Cooled Lighting Reflectors”. Just be sure to make the ventilation system of the hood as airtight as possible so that your CO2 is not being drawn out of the area by the ventilated hood exhaust fan.

If sufficient CO2 is used and the proper level of nutrients and light is available, a 35% increase in growth rate is possible. Each application is different, so there is some work involved in finding the optimum set-up.

CO2 CONTROL MODES
The CO2-2e provides both a standard timed CO2 mode and an optional integrated CO2 PPM control mode. The optional PPM-1c controller is the most precise and efficient method of distributing CO2.

*NOTE: If the PPM-1c is not being used, the jumper-plug supplied with the CO2-2e must be plugged into the Quick Disconnect on the lower left side of the enclosure in order for the CO2-2e to function correctly.

TIMED CO2 CONTROL MODE
The CO2-2e uses 2 timers for exhaust and CO2 control. The two timers are the CO2 Inject Duration, and the CO2 Inject Frequency. The CO2 Inject Duration can be set from 1 second to 40 minutes. When the CO2-2 is powered up, the CO2 cycle begins if the photocell determines that it is daytime. The CO2 outlet is energized for the time set using the CO2 Inject Duration timer.

The CO2 Inject Frequency works in conjunction with the CO2 Inject Duration timer. This timer can be set from 1 minute to 8 hours. During the CO2 cycle, the CO2 outlet will be turned off for the amount of time set on this timer. The CO2 Inject Duration timer and the CO2 Inject Frequency timer continue to recycle until the temperature or humidity exceeds the setting and then the CO2 is disabled and the exhaust outlet is activated.

I'm sure you can go the timer route as described above. The only "problem" that I can really foresee is really not having an accurate reading of what your actual PPM will be. It's a pretty small margin that you have to deal with when trying to achieve 1500. I don't think CO2 monitors are much cheaper (without integration to the CAP), but you may want to see if you can find one to get a reading on your room.

Last tip, or question for you is if your going with a generator, or the tank route? If tanks, I would really reconsider this based on your size of grow room and how many tanks you'll have to use throughout your grow cycle.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, be glad to help if I can.

Best.
SF

Stinky;
Yea, what little I know so far, I agree that you need to monitor and a controller.
My local affectionados are just throwing CO2 into the room during flowering.
Seems like a waste.
A burner can run off propane?
propane's alot cheaper than CO2 isn't it?
If your runnin' a burner.
humm......
where's a good shopping spot????? Anybody?

That sugar and yeast thing DOES NOT work unless you have a very small space. You need to achieve 1500ppm. That would be nearly impossible unless you had gallons of the stuff. PEEEEEEWWW

I calculated to do a 2.5' x 4' x 7' closet you'd need to use about 1.8 lbs of sugar each day to generate adequate co2. That's only about a 2 cups or so, but it's a lot for the yeast to eat each and every day. Plus you are wasting any generated at night.

I did it just for grins. I doubt it will add anything to my grow. I think I'll get better results fermenting wine in the same room next fall.

Stinky;
Yea, what little I know so far, I agree that you need to monitor and a controller.
My local affectionados are just throwing CO2 into the room during flowering.
Seems like a waste.
A burner can run off propane?
propane's alot cheaper than CO2 isn't it?
If your runnin' a burner.
humm......
where's a good shopping spot????? Anybody?

A co2 generator is the way to go, by the time you buy the bottle, solenoid and regulator, then vo through a bottle a week you will have spent as much as you would retail for a generator.

But you have totake into account the heat that will be generated. Do you have the ability to adequately handle potentially thousands of btu's of heat produced in the process? That may be a big problem.

FPF;
my room is kinda small, maybe 350 cu. ft.
I'm already exhausting 2 1000w HPS bulbs.....
How do you keep the Co2 in the room w/o exhausting it?
(Im having a hard understanding, for some reason)

FPF;
my room is kinda small, maybe 350 cu. ft.
I'm already exhausting 2 1000w HPS bulbs.....
How do you keep the Co2 in the room w/o exhausting it?
(Im having a hard understanding, for some reason)

You need to use closed hoods. You vent in outside, hopefully cooler air, duct through the hoods to an exhaust vent. This leaves the room air stable. You'll still need to move the air around with fans, but you don't exhaust it with the hood vented air.

One tip from my hydro guys. Put the expensive, high volume fan at the intake pushing and a cheap inline fan. The heat from th lamps will greatly reduce the life of the fan.

Back
Top Bottom