Water only soil

You could do a LOS No-till and the pot replenishes some of it's own nutrients from cover crops and worms.
You do need to add a few amendments during the grow to keep the soil in balance, a few sprouted seed teas, little coconut water, aloe vera, etc.

But you need larger pots, you just keep using the same soil.
Its virtually water only but not quite.

You could do a LOS No-till and the pot replenishes some of it's own nutrients from cover crops and worms.
You do need to add a few amendments during the grow to keep the soil in balance, a few sprouted seed teas, little coconut water, aloe vera, etc.

Im using "Kind Soil " store bought super soil. With roots organics .
1st time using, plants seem to love it...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-205719.png
    Screenshot_20200112-205719.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200112-205622.png
    Screenshot_20200112-205622.png
    984.1 KB · Views: 48
Check out BuildaSoil.com.
I know they’ve been trying to perfect water only blend. They’re out here in Colorado.
Ive found that you have to brew compost teas to regenerate the microbes. I tried water only with my current run. Finally broke down and brewed a tea last week. They percked right up.

Here’s what’s in my current blend.
C2E7988F-58CE-4050-B121-5FB65E3BBDC3.jpeg

The brew.
CC885F93-CBA5-4605-9933-B9FB76436CF3.jpeg

The results of this blend.
76D1F1D2-1843-4333-85CB-C6E22D7AD592.jpeg

I have a new batch soil cooking for my next run. They are just about ready for transplant so we’ll see in a couple of weeks how it performs.

I consider ACT water only.

You're not adding fertilizers or amendments not that adding amendments is a bad thing.

If you keep using the soil with plants in it, you will need less and less ACT over time. I will add some ACT if I have left the soil sit longer than a month with nothing growing in it. That is uncommon for me tho! lol

We just moved so I had some soil that had been put into tubs and left sit - I started back up with water only and my plants looked like they were suffering a little bit. Brewed up an ACT with EWC and some kelp meal. Problems solved.

Edit:
I get a lot of my growing gear from BAS (build a soil). I use the coots mix no-till.

I will add some amendments between grows but not much and get my soil tested annually the only thing that changes is soil pH. It goes up slightly over time as the soil organic matter gets broken down. Normal stuff.

My usual recipe...
I mix 2 cups EWC, 3 cups compost, 1/2 cup Down to Earth Flower and Bloom in a filter bag, then add 3 tbsp Blackstrap molasses, 1/2 tsp BP soluble seaweed/kelp, and 8 tbsp of URB (or two scoops of Recharge) brewed for 24 hours, then add another tbsp of molasses and let it roll another 12 hours. I think I have a 6” air stone for the brew.
1BF9AA85-859D-4035-8579-6BF195DD50AE.jpeg

One of my current grows I mixed in crimson, white, and sweet clovers. They all have special characteristics hence the mix. Sweet (yellow) and crimson seem to be the most popular.

Down to Earth makes solid amendments for your soil. You can basically read up on each substance, then run your own mix, or but the pre mixed boxes, like Flower and Bloom, Vegan blend, or whatever tickles your fancy and just mix that in.
Im not advanced enough to mix my own blend yet... or maybe I just don’t like the idea of purchasing that many separate amendments. Lol.

Here’s my 2nd soil recipe.

One of my current grows I mixed in crimson, white, and sweet clovers. They all have special characteristics hence the mix. Sweet (yellow) and crimson seem to be the most popular.

Isnt the reason for using clover as a cover/companion crop for Nitrogen fixation (from air to soil)? I think all clover does that, I could be wrong tho....

or maybe I just don’t like the idea of purchasing that many separate amendments. Lol.

If you list lf amendments is short, then separate amendments can be very efficient on your wallet. Most everything I use can be bought at my local feed store cheap.

Isnt the reason for using clover as a cover/companion crop for Nitrogen fixation (from air to soil)? I think all clover does that, I could be wrong tho....

If you list lf amendments is short, then separate amendments can be very efficient on your wallet. Most everything I use can be bought at my local feed store cheap.
I used them this time specifically for their root structure characteristics and how each would help with watering, not like others typically do for No Till and whatnot.
As far as amendments go, I’ve been using a premixed dry that include all your common suspects. I’ve just found recently that I need to add a little bit more magnesium.

I use many products from Coast of Main.

I like the Stonington plant food as an amendment. I put it in the hole at up pot like 1/4 cup or so. Also top dress with it when feel the need.

I just got some of their Squid Concentrate to make a tea with.

I'm using a premixed soil advertised as "water only living organic soil".
It's called 'easyasorganics'.
I just add some worm castings to it.
The plants love it.
For comparison, the 3 plants in the center are in a cheaper brand.

IMG20211127123456.jpg

IMG20211127123416.jpg

Back
Top Bottom