water question

Re: water qustion

Agreed. Go with what's cheapest. Both are good. Distilled water is devoid of dissolved oxygen so make sure your rez is aerated. Same goes for RO water tho I'm not sure how much O2 is left after filtering. Always aerate your rez in any case.

I use nothing but r/o myself and have had good results. Just keep in mind that you'll need to use a good cal/mag supplement.

this may be a horribly stupid question, but how does one aquire distilled water??

Depends where you live I guess. Distilled water isn't usually sold in bulk and 1 Gal. jugs from the drug store is way too expensive. Reverse Osmosis, RO water, is what usually comes in those 5 Gal. jugs you see on water coolers. I buy those at three different places in our little town for $3.50 each. I have a water distiller in my basement that produces ten Gal. in 20 hours. With a 1500W heating element it costs just a little less than the RO water I buy and adds a chunk to my electric bill that I don't need. Small RO units can be bought for around $300 and don't use any electricity so that's what I'm getting next tho I'm going to build my own.

You should be able to buy the RO water somewhere. Usually you pay $15 for a jug then take it back for refills. I have seven.

If your tap water is decent you can use that. TDS should be below 200 and you can put a small aquarium air stone in the water to help get rid of the chlorine. As in fill the pail or jug, drop the stone in and run the pump overnight. I do that with my distilled water as it has no dissolved O2 at all plus it warms up sitting in the grow room.

Hope that helps.

why cant you just use tap water and treat it with peroxide let it sit a few days?as long as you have water under 100 ppm you should be ok right?

why cant you just use tap water and treat it with peroxide let it sit a few days?as long as you have water under 100 ppm you should be ok right?

You could do that as well tho 24 hours should be plenty to drive out the chlorine. Fine air bubbles will get rid of the chlorine even faster and charge the water with as much O2 as it can hold. It's not even the chlorine that's so bad, it's the organochlorides that are created when chlorine does what it is added for. Destroy organic matter, bacteria, virus, parasites etc. in water that is meant for human consumption. That's the stuff that makes your eyes red when swimming in a public pool.

PPM 200 or less is usually OK depending on what it is that is dissolved in the water. A trip to the local municipality, town etc. that supplies the water will get you a copy of the water analysis. Then you can make a better decision about whether to use it or not. If it's high in carbonates, you may want to make sure you don't add extra Ca or Mg as the water comes with. High sodium or iron is to be avoided. If anyone asks why you want the info just tell them you want to know what you're drinking, or you want to make beer, or maybe it's none of their f**cking business.

The tap water could always be diluted with pure water to bring the PPM down to acceptable limits if there isn't anything harmful in the water. Better not be as you're supposed to be able to drink it right! This could work fine if getting pure water is a hassle or too expensive.

If i could afford it, i would go RO, but you can also use tap , depending where you are, In colorado tap aint so bad, so it's a go! Tap is all I use ...

Hey Racefan, Im on ebay right now, and purewaterclub has MANY options, but no portable unit at that price. I checked out there website, and it shows the unit, but as soon as I click on it, it say product not found... I need this!

Back
Top Bottom