Watering and fertilizing question

Bob32014

Hi,

New at all this but I have 4 nice plants going in the flowering stage with no problems BUT:

When my plants were in small containers, it was easy to fertilize once a week (FoxFarm Cannabis schedule) and water in between when the soil was dry.

Now, I've up-potted and these 3 & 1/2 gal pots hold moisture for weeks!

How do I fertilize once a week when my soil is so wet?

I don't want to over water but my fertilizer schedule is all messed up now.

Can I just spray some of the fertilizer on the soil every couple of weeks?

Stymied.

Yes, I did read her post on watering and I'm definitely not over watering.

So what you are saying is just adjust the fertilizing schedule to the watering schedule and ignore the "every 2 weeks" that FoxFarms suggests?

Yes. You include enough nutrients for the amount of water you give them. The plants won't use the nutrients without the water, so as long as the water lasts, so do the nutrients.

Hi Bob
Have you got any perlite in your soil mix to draw water?

Yes that is perlite.

Stupid question - have you got watering holes in your pots?
What type of pots are you using?

Drainage is good.
Up-potted and watered 2 weeks ago with new potting mix (FoxFarms)
No moisture in the tray underneath.
9 weeks into grow. 4 weeks into flowering. No milky trichomes (sp) so far.

Drainage is good.
Up-potted and watered 2 weeks ago with new potting mix (FoxFarms)
No moisture in the tray underneath.
9 weeks into grow. 4 weeks into flowering. No milky trichomes (sp) so far.
Ok, now we're back to root structure...the majority of root growth occurs in the vegetative cycle...once the plant hits flowering it redirects it's energies towards flower development....ideally, you up pot and allow the plant to fill out their roots prior to flower. Your plant will be fine, but you will def have to allow for the soil to dry out which means you'll be watering every 7-10 days if she doesn't use all the moisture.

Yeah, I probably should have up potted earlier. They were doing so nicely, I didn't want to upset them.
I'll just be patient with the fertilizing. After spending all that dough on FoxFarm fertilizers, it ain't easy.
Thanks for the help.

There are so many threads on so many forums about this - and so many causes! It could be a matter of "death by a thousand cuts." Each little issue can add up to cause your soil to retain too much water. But make no mistake, when soil retains water like this it could spell bad news. Make a little checklist of the following and compare what you have now to the "ideal" conditions:

1. Are the drainage holes getting clogged, or are they resting directly on the tray?
2. Is your soil "airy" enough or is it too thick?
3. Check your humidity levels!
4. Check your temperature levels!
5. Make sure you have enough air flow!
6. Did you up-pot a plant that does not have sufficient root systems for the new container (or like Blew Hiller said did you up-pot at the incorrect stage)?

If you try everything and you're still having issues, you can also use a property of paper called "retention factor" to essentially wick the moisture out from the bottom drain holes. Then for your next grow, use a different mix.

Back
Top Bottom