We Are Past The Frost Warnings or The Lady Finally Sang The Last Song

Ok, so I missed that part. There it is. So 12 weeks is a nice long flowering. Has the cold made the resin increase noticeably?
I saw that you found the info while I was typing up my comments about your earlier question. I am running an after the grow journal so I have the photos that were taken over the next couple of days. After I do some cropping and resizing of the rest of the photos I will start posting them in chronological order and continuing with the story.

I already have the answer to your question.;) I was somewhat surprised at what happened at the end.:D:cool:

...For all practical purposes these two plants were pretty much ready for harvesting around the 15th - 20th of October.

I'm not trying to jump too far ahead in your story, but aren't the plants now overripe? THC will deteriorate if a ripe plant is left unharvested too long, as you must know. Why have you waited a month after the plants were ready? Is there some special reason? This is a suspenseful story... :p

Love this topic: It combines stealth needs for outdoor growing with the issue of what to do to take the edge off a sudden bite of frost. A useful discussion for growers of late-flowering sativas.

Amen. I didn't see a frost warning, but I checked the local weather every day this season. In the last week of October, we started a sudden decline from temps in the high 60s F down into the mid- and lower 30s. The temperatures have been consistently hovering between 30 and 40 F ever since. It happens every year at some point, but some years are kinder and gentler and more gradual than others and this year was neither kind nor gentle.

I guess a fan moving the air to prevent frost is a good short-term immediate solution. For the night of a predicted frost, you need to take the edge off the biting cold. But what if you need to keep the plant alive and flowering for several more weeks? Is there a solution other than bringing her into a warmer space? Preventing frost is an immediate goal, not a long-term one for the last month of flowering.

The Arjan's Haze #1 (known to be a late-flowering strain) was already completely enclosed in a glass greenhouse on November 2 (she had been grown "outdoors" in a 3-sided plastic lean-to since mid-May wiith 9 hours of direct sun all summer long). But since the steep drop in early November, even the glass greenhouse offers no warmth on overcast days. So I installed a heater in the greenhouse for her and she is doing pretty well, even when it freezes outside it is in the mid-60s F inside. On sunny days the temperature in there rises suddenly into the low- and even mid-80s F and I try to reduce the temperature inside to a more late-flowering-friendly level around 70 F.

As seen below, AH#1 obviously needs to flower as long as she can into November. The first 2 photos, taken November 1, show she had, finally, started flowering (as late as October 1 she had no pistils). But wow what a long ways to go still.

Here the first two photos taken November 1:

This close-up was taken yesterday.

So hey, late-flowering sativa-growers, please give me your experience: Do I have any hope of her getting ripe within 10 days or so? Has she "entered the window" in your experience? How much longer do you think she needs? Not exactly looking forward to the electric bill, but after all the effort of growing her all summer I am not giving up until I can at least sample a ripe bud of Arjan's Haze #1.

Cheers and thanks!

Emeraldo

Woah - wow. Thats all I have to say.

GREAT job brother. :passitleft:

To continue the story, it is not the morning of November 7th. The nights have gotten nippy with temperatures dropping into the upper 20s. The plants look good. Most of the other flowers and all of my warm weather vegetables are done. We did pick most of the cherry tomatoes even if they were green. Half of them have started turning red or yellow so we might toss them into a salad on Thanksgiving Day.

Back to the morning view. A light snow overnight has covered just about everything. Some of the heat coming from the back room kept snow from sticking to part of the plants hidden from view; the gutter overhang helped, too.

patio13.jpg patio15.jpg

In the next two photos the plants still look OK even with the snow cover. Best to wait for the melt since that is when the damage would normally show up.

patio14.jpg patio16.jpg

Waited for the snow to melt and went to work for several hours. Here is how the two plants looked at 5 pm that day. They survived and it does not look like anything went wrong. Sorry to say that this camera is just terrible and got worse when the little switch to control the auto-focus stopped working. I have to use the ring on the lens and with my eyes I usually cannot see when it is in focus.

The Papaya called "Doorwall" is the first photo and the cold nights and the snow did not have any effect. The purple color is still there and the leaves are not drooping. In the second photo that plant does have some yellowed and browned leaves but those were there before.

patio17.jpg patio18.jpg

@Emeraldo I have not forgotten your questions.:)

Snow can act as a blanket to keep the colder air temps from burning. But only for short time.

Snow aint that good unless your keeping the roots warm??

Be pretty cool warm roots and snow - plants live an exciting life.

Ok, so I missed that part. There it is. So 12 weeks is a nice long flowering. Has the cold made the resin increase noticeably?
I really think so. That was one of the surprises. How healthy the buds stayed, actually how healthy the plants stayed the whole time while the average temperatures for day and night continued to drop. Several minutes of reading a few results of a web search told me that there should not be any real problem with frost. I extrapolated that to light snows not being a problem.

I wanted to be able to tell first time growers what to expect and to not panic because they hear a TV or radio personality say there is a frost warning. Especially for those who have never grown anything outside before.

I'm not trying to jump too far ahead in your story, but aren't the plants now overripe? THC will deteriorate if a ripe plant is left unharvested too long, as you must know. Why have you waited a month after the plants were ready? Is there some special reason? This is a suspenseful story... :p
Overripe, maybe. These two Papayas were half of a seed planting run of 4 seeds. All 4 germinated and produced healthy small plants. I kept them growing in the basement room. Eventually 2 of them started to show pistils and after a couple of weeks they were definitely pre-flowering on a regular basis. By then I had cut a few clones off of each of the 4. I took the two plants outside and put them in an area near where the photos were taken. I had been invited to bring a couple plants up to a medical grow about 30 miles north in exchange for helping out in prepping the fenced in grow area.

The other two stayed in the basement room for a couple more weeks and then they started to throw a pistil here and there. Those were the ones that went outside.

All 4 plants, no matter where they were in August, would be under the same amount of dark period, give or take a minute. If the ones in back of the house were showing signs of flowering then the ones up on the farm would be in the same condition. Eventually, around the 11th of October I got a ride to the farm and we cut my plants. While they had nice buds and trichomes they really were not ripe or near peak. I did not feel that this strain was one that ripened in 8 or 9 weeks (mid August to mid October).

It was really surprising just how much the flowers on the plants on the patio continued to swell up and get heavy in the 2 weeks between the 11th of October and the 25th of October. Everyone keeps telling new growers to wait as long as possible for that bud swelling to take place and I was hoping to document it on the stealth grow. The camera has a broken auto-focus and my eyes are not good enough to manually focus and and I never could get a decent set of photos of the flower buds. I just do not like posting out of focus photos so that is why that part of the experiment is not photo-documented.

That's a lesson I've learned this year, too. The official info from GHS website is: Arjan's Haze #1 flowers 11 weeks, harvest in Northern Hemisphere October 21. But when the particular plant I grew didn't seem to be flowering on schedule (as at Oct 1 no white pistils were visible), I started listening to what the plant was telling me: Go long.

I wanted to mention that I did harvest the plants the evening of November 7th after studying the 10 day weather forecast on a decent weather website. Cold was expected and bitter cold at that. More snow expected for early the next week along with well below the usual temps for both day time highs and nighttime lows.

Mostly, I had to pull the plants in because I was bringing in all the Rosemary, Oregano and other culinary herbs along with my Geraniums. Once those were in the back room where they will spend the winter the two marijuana plants were now visible. No more stealth, now possibile that someone on the other side of the fence could see them if they looked.

The link to another thread started by someone else on this msg board about frost and cold. It includes some photos of heavy frost covering several plants and they apparently survived and went on to a successful harvest. Anyone interested can check out the photos on the second page of this thread....
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/got-down-to-29-f-what-to-expect.473166/

Back
Top Bottom