What do I actually need to start me first grow?

Legendary-Her

I have been doing some research on growing. I've gained quite a lot of knowledge from just reading grow journals and other information obtained on this site and others but I had some questions that I would like to ask before I buy the rest of what I need to start. Right now I plan on growing 2-4 plants indoors in my closet of my bedroom.

Thanks,
Legend

Question #1:
What are the basic items required to start a full grow cycle?
This is what I have found to be vital to a grow session, let me know if I need more stuff or if the stuff on my list isn't needed.

1-Grow room (roll of mylar reflective film + velcro roll to place it) I have thought about painting my walls white but it is a rental house I will be growing in. + (Shelves of some sort)

2-Good seeds (I bought feminized seeds from Nirvana, 5xWonder Women, 5x Venus fly trap Cannabis) Is that a good way to start?

3-Nutrients ( I purchased "Ultimate Grow Kits" from Nirvana also) consisting of:

~make the most of your marijuana seeds! A value pack of our three bestselling growth solutions.

All you need from seed to harvest!

The Germination Kit consists of 10 kits and a sachet of Bacto, a mixture of beneficial fungi and bacteria. This Kit ensures that your cannabis seeds germinate safely and quickly, and provides a nourishing and stimulating environment for seedlings.

A packet of Soiltabs contains ten 100% organic tablets which provide a constant source of nourishment to your marijuana plants. Each tablet contains a balanced mix of bacteria and humic acids designed especially for growing cannabis.

A packet of Flowertabs contains ten organic tablets. Flowertabs will slowly biodegrade, releasing measured doses of nutrients while the fungal ingredients strengthen and extend your roots just when your plants need it the most.

Do I need to buy more nutes or should is this good enough for a complete grow?

4-Lights or "Light" as I'm concerned. Will my LED Wholesalers GYO2009 3-Piece 400 Watt Hydroponic 6-Inch Cool Tube Grow Light Set work if that's all I use for all 3 growth phases?

More info on it:

LED Wholesalers GYO2009 3-Piece 400 Watt Hydroponic 6-Inch Cool Tube Grow Light Set : This efficient, brand new HPS cool tube grow light system is great for growers who seek maximum control of the temperature in the grow area.

5- Fan/Exhaust system. I plan on using some sort of ducting (6' or so) with a fan on the top to suck the hot air out of my window of my room if its open. Good idea or is this a better method?

6- Soil. What type of soil should I buy for the plants?

7-temp/humidity gauge. How important is it that I have one of these? And any suggestions? Will I need a dehumidifier?

8- pH monitor. To keep the pH at 6.5 How important is this as-well for growth? Vital? Somewhat? Not at all?

9- Magnifier. To view my plants/take pictures. Anyone have suggestions on good ones to purchase?

10- This is all I can think of if you think what I listed isn't important or there is stuff I left out please let me know =) Thanks!

Extra Question #2:
What do you guys think of vaping weed? Because I bought a "Da Buddha Vaporizer". I also wondered what you thought of Da Buddha if you own one or have tried it. I have only tried a Magic Flight Box and a Digital Volcano. Both kick ass! But the MFB wasn't good for groups or at house use as much and the Volcano was just too pricey. So I went with Da Buddha.

1. Why do you need shelves?

2. Good genetics is always a great way to start. As long as you aren't upset in case you lose your first grow.

3.No experience with the slow release tabs. I do know Nirvana is a good company, I would be surprised if they sold you some crap. Obtaining extra nutes shouldnt be a problem should it arise.

4.400 HPS is fine for 4 plants

5.Questionable. Run your growroom without plants. See if it works. Exhausting out your window could be a security risk. As well as entry point for bugs.

6. Quality potting soil. A lot of people around here use Fox Farms. Other than that you want a airy soil with lots of perlite. 50/50 even. Sterilization is up to the user.

7.Its pretty important. How would you know if you need a dehumidifer if you dont know the humidity? Remote digital models are nice so you dont have to be in the growroom. You can also use 5 dollar models and be fine.

8.Keep reading. If you don't understand how vital ph is you haven't read enough. May I suggest looking into powdered dolomite lime for your soil mix.

9. Some people use a jewelers loop. I like the 100x of a pocket microscope. A really nice camera if you already own one. Amazon can help you get ideas.

Good luck.:welcome:

Wow everying sounds good as far as soils i would also use foxfarms/perlite! Go onto ebay and pick up a couple of jewelry loops like a 40x and a 60x i paid 3 bux for each one! Took 10 days to get from china! Free shipping! The tablets sound like a time release which im not a fan of because of the loss of control over nuting! Your going to want to plan ahead and make a seperate box for veg stage. Trust me! You are going to get into this hobby and do it eventually anyways! You can pick up a temp/ RH monitor for 7 bux at you local wallmart or target stores. The dolomite is an important long term step! So get used to monitoring the temps/ph/rh/critters 24/7.

Oh and legend this web site is the most amazing resource full of personal experience which everyone is happie to share! You will find out how important the peeps are at 420mag and how much you we all just love to discuss our own grows! So any questions you have here will be answered! GOOD LUCK AND ill be watching!

The Germination Kit consists of 10 kits and a sachet of Bacto, a mixture of beneficial fungi and bacteria. This Kit ensures that your cannabis seeds germinate safely and quickly, and provides a nourishing and stimulating environment for seedlings.

i have always germed my seeds in a moist paper towel in a dixie cup with a tiny bit of water, i learned this stuff like in 1st or 2nd grade never fails its easy and cheap just my 2 cents l8ter. rnwy

In case anyone is interested I just found a jewelers loop that is 30x and 60x with a built in led on eBay for $4.36. Just search "30x22mm 60x12mm Loop". Hope this helps someone! :)

Be cautious, there are many jewelers loupes that claim 30x but are really 10x. I've seen the difference first hand with a true 30x microscope vs a advertising 30x loupe.

I already ordered it... Since it comes from china I'll let you know in about a month... :) Hope it is what I thought and thank you for letting me know.

I've gotten 3 ofF eBay and they are all legit! From HK and took 14 days only! And for 5 bux who cares! They will be fine for what you need! Unless your into photographing!

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up buying Reflective Mylar 36" X 20" X 62" Hydroponics Grow Tent Hydro Box Hut Cabinet. I'm not sure how I'm going to set up an exhaust system. Because I imagine that will get hot.

I also wondered if you guys know any good department / common stores in the U.S. I could pick up rh monitor/temp gauge / pH monitor so I dont have to buy it all online.. there aren't any hydro stores near me in Wisconsin so that isnt an option =/ perlite and foxfarms is a good soil to buy? should I purchase that online. Thanks also for the idea to buy the jewelers loop. I bought one.

2-Good seeds (I bought feminized seeds from Nirvana, 5xWonder Women, 5x Venus fly trap Cannabis) Is that a good way to start?

Sure. Start ONE seed of each strain. Grow in vegetative a little longer in order to make up for the smaller number of plants. Saves four seeds of each strain for your next grow and prevents losing all of them through one huge bad mistake.

4-Lights or "Light" as I'm concerned. Will my LED Wholesalers GYO2009 3-Piece 400 Watt Hydroponic 6-Inch Cool Tube Grow Light Set work if that's all I use for all 3 growth phases?

Many people feel that "GYO" branded lights are kind of sketchy where the quality of the components is concerned. Make sure you got a warranty. (YMMV.)

5- Fan/Exhaust system. I plan on using some sort of ducting (6' or so) with a fan on the top to suck the hot air out of my window of my room if its open. Good idea or is this a better method?

If you want your neighbors to smell your cannabis garden. Buy or build a carbon filter setup. If at all possible, vent your light separately from your tent in general (bring air in from outside of the tent, through the reflector, and back outside of the tent - having not passed through the tent in general, the exhaust from the light will be hot but will not smell like cannabis as the exhaust from the tent - which will not be as hot as the exhaust from the light - will).

8- pH monitor. To keep the pH at 6.5 How important is this as-well for growth? Vital? Somewhat? Not at all?

Monitoring/controlling pH is very important. Suggest an electronic "pen" style. Milwaukee no-frills single-point calibration pH600 is around $25 and their much fuller-featured pH56 is around $60. Great brand, but there are others as well - but that's a good price-point for both an economy-class and a better one.

Back
Top Bottom