What is eating leaf stalks?

historynut

Something is eating leaf stalks, ignoring the leaves. I've left mouse/rat bait but it isn't being touched. Now I notice what ever it is is gnawing at the bottoms of the plants. My females are just starting to bud, and this could kill them. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try wrapping the bottoms in aluminum foil, at least try to stop stalk destruction.

Your bug spray didn't work. I even used standard plant spray on the stalks and areas that aren't smoked, but I still lose several leaf stalks a night. I've already lost one plant from the bark being stripped from its trunk. Any more suggestions?

Maybe I spoke too soon. I checked my plants every two hours until 2AM and then early this morning and nothing happened. So maybe the spray is working. I like the idea of the tanglefoot. Is it homemade, or in a nursery? As far as little furry animals, I don't think so; I put rat/mouse bait out and it wasn't touched. I'll check again tonight.

Well, I did speak too soon. I was hit again last night - sometime between 2 AM and 6 AM. I found tanglefoot at a local nursery and am going to put it on this afternoon. Maybe I'll "catch" something.

I've been pretty busy last few days. Anyway, posting pictures aren't worth it: All but one of my plants died due to the stalks having most of their "bark" eaten away. Nothing is bothering this lone plant which has tons of buds. So far, good. If anything else happens, I'll let you know.

I have no idea. It looks like it is something that flies, because some of the plants it hit were knocked down. After I put up a string support for them: A string between two poles to which each plant was tied, even then when the mysterious thing hit, a plant would be slid along the string. I can't say for sure. It hasn't bothered the lone last plant so far.
If not something flying, an animal of some kind. But what would only eat the stems and not the leaves? When all plants are gone and the "product" stored, I figure I'll be able to find out.

Are there any little black poop balls ? Or back spots?
I just lost 70% of my white widow bud , in one night this green worm would destroy a whole branch at first i couldn't find them due to they blend perfect , now i look for brown spots on a bud or black dropping dig around a bit and i found the 1 inch green bud killer , never seen such fast destruction of a sweet plant , any idea what kind of worm it is ? And how do i keep them from destroying my other ladies?

I could find nothing. My remaining plant so far is healthy and has not been attacked. I looked in my Insect Pests book and there are several possibilities. As soon as my harvest is in I'm going to contact the Agricultural department here in Sonoma County, they're affiliated with UC, maybe they'll have an answer.

Back
Top Bottom