What's a lid?

i remember a song that had a line that said"even a matchbox,5 sticks" five sticks was 5 joints.sold by good people who would go through the trouble to roll them and bag em for you...that same song had a line "thats a cute mustash have you got any hash,i'd like to make a buy said the small one" . wow!.... please don't think i'm crazed ok.its just i have been tormented as i can not remember the title of that song. any thoughts? sorry... As far as lids go....in the early 70's a 3 finger lid of "comerical weed"was a fair deal for 10 bucks. bud wasn't really offered ....yet....for me it went from that to "name brand",high priced bud. its like anything , people wanted the best, and money didn't matter.remember ? "weed will get you through times of no money,better than money will get you through times of no weed! Amen? hey and you know you can't smoke money either....so...... thanks for starting this whole thing. its good to learn important stuff from the "old ones" hahaha......happy trails,todd God Bless America:amen:

Me & Mr. Hohner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written by: Bob Darin is the name of that song...I just googled it

hey Heavy, Thank you,Thank you and Thank you!!!:smokin: ....all these years ,fourty to be exact i thought i had made these lines up in my head.....but no...i just heard them.but wait where did "even a matchbox five sticks" come from? hey sorry for going "off subject".but lids,matchbox its all close to the same....thanks again HeavyHerb.....one less thing to worry about.God Bless America,todd

You're very welcome man...and I know how things like that can bug ya LOL happens to me all the time....

again sorry for vering off subject but......that song "me and mr.horner" was by Bobby Darin durring his reffer days. he probley smoked a whole lid before he wrote it... didn't remember it being such a "heavy"song- haha...glad i found this place.it jars my memory:thedoubletake: happy trails,todd

I gave up on my memory years ago. I knew it had gone bad when I started thinking I once had more hair on my head than on my back.

Must've been the bud.

I remember the 60's like it was - almost half a century ago.
I remember yesterday the same way.

The drive from SF down to TJ was always a fun trip with lots of nice beaches along the way.
Back in those days we could camp on the beach for free along with hundreds of hippies, surfers, sun bathers, and bikers, all of whom smoked weed.

The first time down we took our stash across the border with us and were paranoid all the time.
We were parked in front of a used tire shop toking up when we looked in the mirror of our VW Bug and saw a guy with a rifle sneaking up behind us.

We took off in a cloud of smoke, most of which emanated from our windows, and upon looking back we saw that the Bandito was just an old man with a broom sweeping the street.

So we went back to the tire shop and got our Kilo.
It was compressed into a brick, wrapped in heavy red paper with several stiletto holes stabbed through it.
The guy told us that was to test for stones that sometimes get in there "by mistake."
It cost us $60.
We bought two.

For the next few hours during the drive North, all we could think of was getting off the freeway without being killed or caught.
But the drive to SF and then on to Sacramento was smooth, quick, and smoky.

One key went to a friend who set the deal up.
He gave us $90 for it.

The other one, with the help of a triple beam balance liberated from our college chemistry lab, was broken into 30 one ounce lids.
We rolled them in sandwich baggies and sold them for $10 each.

The next trip down was all business.
We didn't stop at the beach and knew enough not to take our stash across the border.
We left it under a rock by a road sign and picked it up on the way back.

There was a different guy at the tire shop and the vibes weren't right, but we bought four Keys anyway.
As we pulled away, three guys came out from the alley and headed toward the car yelling "Hey Heepee, come over here!".

We didn't wait around to see if they had any stinking badges and made it back as fast as we could to the crossing station.
This was before the War on Drugs and they really didn't search anybody nor use drug sniffing dogs so we sailed right through and made it back North by the next morning.

Some of the stuff was broken into ounce lids and some was sold as pounds and half pounds.

That was our last trip down to Tiajuana as other and better weed started to appear from places in Central America (think Panama Red) and South East Asia (Thai Stick comes to mind here).
And, Hippie tourists were bringing back exotic strains of weed and hash from India, Nepal, and Afghanistan.

That was also around the time that folks discovered that Humboldt and Mendocino Counties were great places for growing and turned "Homegrown" into something special.

But a lid was still an ounce and it still sold for $10, but not for much longer.

man have you ever taken me down memory lane I made the same trip in 68 before I went into the airforce gas was 21cents a gallon alid was 6 bucks the concerts hendrix pink floyd ten years after joplin credence all the big names 2 bucks but at the same time wages were 1-2 an hr

Lets just say, a lid was roughly an oz, AKA as "4 fingers of your finest". As we all know value changed block by block. I could own a nickle for about $5, dime for about $10-15, quarter (a finger)for about $40.
In collage I remember getting a full bud for a case of bud light, but then most of the "pharmacists" was into other stuff, usually the uppers.
Well now that i have had my turn on the bong, I am passing it along to the next..
:roorrip:

actually looking back the weed then was mexican dirt weed lots of seeds stalkand some chaff compared to the quality of today there is no comparison except for some vietnamese then jamican but the price was rightyears later in the eighties I run across a guy who scored brick weed wrapped in different coloured crepe paper15-25 dollars a pound one load we got this black columbian holy shit I hadnt smoked nothing like that before wish I could get more like that for the same price now I got to pay 600 a quater pound but its really good smoke critical mass man I like that tastes like hash kicks like a mule last week tried lavender from soma seeds good golly miss molly now if the arjan haze #1 is as good as Ive been told and my plants yield what there supposed too Ill be set for a while

A lid was about 3/4 oz., cost $17, was mostly sticks and seeds, and lasted for about one album.

Clearly . . . the meaning and price of a 'lid' has changed through time and space.

Los Angeles 1966 lid meant an oz, a 'bad lid' had a lot of seeds and stems a 'good lid' didn't, the best lids had bud in them. all cost $10/oz The majority of smokers had simple gram/oz scales, they cost $5 at any local headshop.

My Buddy would despense his' lids in thoes plastic throw away gloves. He'd hand it to you and say 'Heres a real 4 finger lid'. teeee heee

Sorry to be off topic.

This is my first day at 420 and the first Thread i've read.

I notice a lot of old timers here (me included) and i have a real Question that may sound like a joke.

Is there a SENIOR Section?

Back
Top Bottom