What's a lid?

a lid ... the part of a sandwich bag that folds over the top

when u bought a lid you got a sandwich bag full up to the lid

simple as that ... :peace:

I was just reading the first page and was gonna say this, but figured I should read the rest of the post first. I dont remember if it was my dad or my next door neighbor that told me, but both are long-time smokers. I seem to remember hearing it was about $50 for a lid, which makes sense factoring in inflation. Just my .02 cents.

Back in the day (70's), around here, a lid was 4 fingers of weed (usually leaf) it weighed about an ounce. "An ounce" and "a lid" were interchangeable, "ounce" meant that someone bothered to weigh it (theorically). There were 16 lids in a pound, when a pound was divided by sight rather than by scale.

From one old enuf to know...a lid was an oz (roughly)....in a sandwich bag (no ziplocks then) and if it filled da bag to the width of four fingers, that was good....btw, we usually paid ten bucks for a lid...:grinjoint:

The term lid goes back to the late 20's and NYC jazz musician/weed dealer Mezz Mezzrow. He kept his weed in a Folgers coffee can. He filled the lid of the can for 10 bucks,thus the name.lid.

Good weed in the 30's,40's,and 50's was called "The Mighty Mezz" in jazz circles. Mezz was Louis Armstrong's dealer.

When I started smoking weed circa 1969,"Lid" was mainly a West Coast term for an ounce of pot. Back east,a lid was a short ounce,three fingers that sold for around 15 bucks. A four finger ounce cost 20 bucks.

I wouldn't deal with a guy who weighed his ounces those days,they were shorting you. An ounce was four fingers of weed in a sandwich bag,period. If you sold 28 gram on the nose ounces,you were considered a bad dealer.

As most weed came into the country in kilo bricks/packages,basically the dealer was buying half a key when he bought a pound from a wholesaler and everyone knew it. The conversation would start something like this,"Where's that extra weed,Sparky,you rat bastard ripoff artist."

I witnessed a few hellacious fist fights over that extra 1/12th of an ounce of seedy Mexican weed.

four finger bag, 15.00, 1970's the baggies back then diden't have pleats like they do now so it looked like alot more. when you hold up the bag and your hand horizontally it would be 4 fingers. bud, small stems, seeds, and leaf or shake as we called it. the everyday stuff was called mexican and every now and then you would find columbian gold or redbud and they were 20.00

From one old enuf to know...a lid was an oz (roughly)....in a sandwich bag (no ziplocks then) and if it filled da bag to the width of four fingers, that was good....btw, we usually paid ten bucks for a lid...:grinjoint:

Amen brudda, but before those early sandwich bags days, a 'lid' was a Prince Albert tobacco can filled with grass for 10 bucks, and was how my first score came packaged at a Love In/Free Concert (Janice Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Three Dog Night) at Griffith Park in '69.

wow this is one question that has people showing their age the term "lid" for any of us who started smoking any latter then 70's ment an ounce, we were still braking things up by eye then and you could still by a joint for a dollar.By the end of the 80's things had changed out were nickel and dime bags,replaced by grams and eigths.Lids and four finger bags became an O.Z or ounce.Now every thing is wieghed down to the tenth of a gram.peace

I used to know a dealer in the 70's who was stickler about weighing his weed to the last speck of shake. Everything was dead on weight minus the weight of the baggie. A very OCD guy,but he had the best weed in the region by far,so we all bought from him.

We'd wait until he'd go out and stop to buy weed from his partner. To the partner an ounce was handful of weed stuck in a bag and he had huge hands.

In the mid 60s, there were no plastic baggies. We often bought pot in a Prince Albert Red Tobacco Can, called a lid of tobacco. That first set the amount of a lid. Later, around 1970, it was aruged about being three or 4 fingers in a baggie. We often bought pot in a very small match box, called a nichol bag. 4 nichol bags were a lid. We also had what we called candy bags, little small paper sacks that were used for candy bought in the store. Also used in fish bait and tackle stores. 3 or 4 fingers deep in those bags was a lid of pot. 1/4 of that was a nichol bag. When we bought a pound, we divided it in equal piles on the kitchen table, like into 20 piles, and we called each pile a Lid of pot. Pounds were bricks the size of a shoe box in the 60s and a compressed key (kilo 2.2 pound) was not seen until about 1970. later, bales were 20 keys or 45 lbs.

First few times I bought pot was a $5 nichol bag. A dime bag was two nichols, a lid was 4 nichols or two dimes. Price went up from $12 and $15 a lid to $20 a weighed ounce, very fast. All we saw in 1967 to '69 was Dirt Weed Mexican, full of stems and seeds and male plants too. Oh, and you had to call it grass. "Pot" or "weed" was what the red neck media called it. Calling it POT or weed was not cool.
When we first saw Jamacian and then Columbian, we flipped out at the price and the quality.

And "home grown" was not welcomed or appreciated either. That was poor people's pot.

Hash was $5 a gram, when you could get it, or $70 an ounce, or about $800 a pound..

i remember a song that had a line that said"even a matchbox,5 sticks" five sticks was 5 joints.sold by good people who would go through the trouble to roll them and bag em for you...that same song had a line "thats a cute mustash have you got any hash,i'd like to make a buy said the small one" . wow!.... please don't think i'm crazed ok.its just i have been tormented as i can not remember the title of that song. any thoughts? sorry... As far as lids go....in the early 70's a 3 finger lid of "comerical weed"was a fair deal for 10 bucks. bud wasn't really offered ....yet....for me it went from that to "name brand",high priced bud. its like anything , people wanted the best, and money didn't matter.remember ? "weed will get you through times of no money,better than money will get you through times of no weed! Amen? hey and you know you can't smoke money either....so...... thanks for starting this whole thing. its good to learn important stuff from the "old ones" hahaha......happy trails,todd God Bless America:amen:

I remember those little manila candy envelopes,Roseman. Matchboxes were a pain in the ass,half your weed ended up in your pocket just getting it home.

The term lid goes back to the late 20's and NYC jazz musician/weed dealer Mezz Mezzrow. He kept his weed in a Folgers coffee can. He filled the lid of the can for 10 bucks,thus the name.lid.

I'm old as dirt. This is what a lid was. Today what ever you say is a lid is a lid. :peace:

This is where it all began, a Lid of Tobacco. These cans were called LIDS.

A_Real_Lid.jpg

Back
Top Bottom