What's wrong with my plants?

adudecalledjay

Something is up with my plants. Everything was fine until I moved them under new lights and up-potted them (put them under new lights first -- didn't have issues for 3+ days, so up-potted). When I transplanted I used the following mix:

800 ml coco coir
800 ml clay pebbles (only because it’s what I have on hand -- would have used perlite instead if I had some)
200 ml manure compost
200 ml mushroom compost
400 ml earthworm castings
1tbsp bat guano
2 tbsp Rock Phosphate (45 ml per 4000ml of soil - same as bone meal)
4 tbsp Green Sand (90 ml per 4000ml of soil )
26ml (~2 tbsp) Bone Meal (45ml per 4000ml of soil or 1:89)
10 ml (~2 tsp) Kelp Meal (14.8 ml per 3790 ml of soil or 1:256)
1 tbsp per plant mycorrhizae at roots during transplant

When I checked pH run-off I was just under 7, but my EC was a whopping 6.1!! From more reading it looks like I shouldn't check soil EC based on run-off, but rather take a soil sample to distilled water H20, then filter, wait 24 hours, then measure, so I wasn't sure how much to read into the 6.1 EC reading. I thought I'd leave it for a few days to see if things got worse. Oh, and my pH and EC were on a freshly calibrated bluelabs combo reader, so I'm confident in the measuring equipment.

After a few days it looked to me like there was clawing and yellowing of the tips on all leaves new and old. I think I misdiagnosed this as nutrient burn just based on the big EC numbers in the runoff. So here's a picture of the Purp plant 6 days ago:

Plant 1 - June 12 - Day 19 Veg.jpg

So after 3 days I decided I'd better give it a flush and get the EC down. I flushed quite a bit and could only get it down to ~1.3. I also raised the lights a bit from 600 μmol/s/m2 -> ~450 μmol/s/m2.

After 6 days the plant is bigger for sure, but not really looking healthy. Before I flush more I thought I'd get some opinions. Could I have misdiagnosed? Is it possible I'm actually too low on potassium? Sorry, it's not really meant to be a soil question, but more a "what does this plant look like it's deficient in?" question :)

Here it is today:

Plant 1 - June 18 - Day 25 Veg.jpg

Here's my moisture levels over the last week. I've tried to let it completely dry out and I've tried watering everyday -- doesn't seem to help with the droopiness. 56% moisture is about as high as it goes when the soil is fully saturated. At 30% the leaves are very droopy and in obvious need to water.

Moisture.PNG

Here's the temperature and humidity of the tent. My humidity does occasionally drop as low as 38% when I have to refill the humidifier:

TempAndHumidity.PNG

And finally here are my watering notes...you can disregard the right column -- that's "Plant 2" which is having even more issues.

20200618_110909.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!

I'm certainly no expert but my first reaction to photo was overwatering..any problems with drainage??
I was pretty cautious with the watering (1/4" every 3 days) at the beginning. I was able to get it timed so that I watered just before the leaves got droopy. I have increased watering steadily, though... just catching it before being really droopy (like almost wilted looking). If I skip a watering tonight I'm fairly confident it will be super droopy in the morning... but I can give it a try in the name of science :)

U certainly seem to have it dialled in by the looks of it mate.. :goodluck:
Thanks Sancheh! The whole soil thing is pretty new to me... I think I might be pushing these plants too hard because I could get away with it in hydro. Time will tell I guess :tommy:

Just closing the loop on this one Sancheh... I think you hit the nail on the head. I was way too confident in my moisture readers. Also on the first day the leaves dropped I gave extra water and they perked up... maybe they just digged the oxygen in the water or something, I'm not sure. Same thing happened a few more times and got stuck in a rut. Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I can honestly say I probably would have stayed in the same rut for another week before cluing in. Thank you! :adore:

Thanks for letting me know Jay ..I'm fairly new to the growing game and have over watered myself a few times... it's easily done and takes a few grow cycles to fully understand why its happening..
Ull find each plant have different needs due to size genetics speed of uptake size of pot etc so its difficult to work out an exact program for the plants as a whole...I try to work on an individual plants needs using a few methods ie..
Visual
Wieght of pot
Moisture probe
Stage of cycle
Fluctuation of heat in tent day and night(I grow in loft )
There are many variables mate which I'm sure ull deal with over the coming grow cycles :thumb: all the best:high-five:

Thanks for letting me know Jay ..I'm fairly new to the growing game and have over watered myself a few times... it's easily done and takes a few grow cycles to fully understand why its happening..
Ull find each plant have different needs due to size genetics speed of uptake size of pot etc so its difficult to work out an exact program for the plants as a whole...I try to work on an individual plants needs using a few methods ie..
Visual
Wieght of pot
Moisture probe
Stage of cycle
Fluctuation of heat in tent day and night(I grow in loft )
There are many variables mate which I'm sure ull deal with over the coming grow cycles :thumb: all the best:high-five:
Totally makes sense!! I hear what your saying on the variables... a few more goes at it and I'm sure it will all come together :) :Namaste:

Hit her with 15ml of 3% h2o2 per gallon of soiless mix. Itll help them recover faster.
Ohh, that makes sense... extra o2! Since my mix has compost and stuff in it, would it still help? Just wondering as you said "per gall on of soiless mix".

You know, that's a good point. I saw it was a coco and clay pebble base and didn't think about the organics. I think the h2o2 would be harmful to the beneficial fungus and bacteria in the mix but maybe more so if you applied continuously. A single application would probably not be that bad. You could just let them dry out it a bit and they'll recover great, just take an extra day or 2

You know, that's a good point. I saw it was a coco and clay pebble base and didn't think about the organics. I think the h2o2 would be harmful to the beneficial fungus and bacteria in the mix but maybe more so if you applied continuously. A single application would probably not be that bad. You could just let them dry out it a bit and they'll recover great, just take an extra day or 2
Thanks TysonOG... glad to hear you think they'll recover. Was just thinking about dropping two more beans!

Back
Top Bottom