When is it too long, just too long

DogOn

This happens to me very frequently....

I buy my seeds from different sources including the sponsors here, I use the RO water cup method of soaking my seeds no more than 24hrs and then the paper towel method...

I always get little sprouts or at least the shell cracked by the end of the 24 hrs of pure soaking.... I use the paper towel damp method and there is where my % of finishing germination goes to hell.... I get abot a 50% germination success and most of the seeds that dont make it start to sprout but remain ungrown for a few days until they start to turn brownish (see picture)...... Is there a way to recuperate the seeds once they look like that in the picture?

Thanks

I am at 27 degrees celcius now as room temperature at 50% RH . The paper doesnt smell like mold....I dont have anything to warm the plate.

one thing about damage in these plants,, damage does not recover, new growth may outgrow the damage but the damaged parts will not undamage itself

tho those seeds may grow,, it will possibly or probably be a sickly plant forever

a simple fool proof method for germinating seeds

you had it dead right for 24 hours,, then all heck broke loose

so,, in a glass of water till it cracks and you can see the tail,, white part

now you know the seed is viable,, a winner,, yay,, job done,, now put it to bed

once it has cracked,, prepare the soil container, assuming you are using soil

here is the key,,

pre moisten the top half, at least, of the soil. now this does not mean soak it,, worst thing you could do. moisten it with some water and mix it up to moist only,, no shine or visible water

then dig a little 3/4 inch hole and carefully plant the seed,, white tail pointing down and gently cover with the soil.

do not pack tightly over top,, just cover and level it off

every day just lightly spray the top of the soil, and three days later the head will poke out,, all happy

then it is time to add a bit of water,, and perhaps put the container in a bowl of water and let it soak a bit in from the bottom,, thats where the roots are going,

good to go then,, cheers

I have had mixed results from seeds like that. Once they pop I put them in soil. To often the tap root goes nuts not too. The slight brown color to the tap root is what I noticed. Those are the ones I have trouble with. Water is what swells the shell and makes it pop. The stuff inside absorbs the moister swells and pops the shell. If there is no energy in that sprout it cannot grow. Age and how well and plant was fed has a lot to do with how seeds perform.
I have seeds from 1998 that still pop so age does not mean bad. In the end all you can do is plant and hope. Keep the top of the soil loose so it can push its way through if it does take off. After they make it through the soil they will be able to start feeding themselves from the soil.

Sweet Sue taught me long ago a method that rocked for Germination... If it is a good seed it will pop great... Take an old pill bottle .. clean it.. Put a little water in there with the seed. 24 hours take it out and put a cotton ball pretty wet in the lid. Put the seed in the middle of it and put the orange part on the top. Set it aside for couple days and then check on it ...2-3 days it will be pretty long popped. Open it daily to get fresh air in it. Not too wet on the cotton. some seeds longer... I use small grow pods (ill double check the medium) for the seedlings and they work flawless..

Hope that helps. There is a much better post about it from her.. check it out

Namaste

FE

I don't even soak in a cup of water. Just take paper towel fold it up place seed in the middle get moist place in a zip lock bag and throw on the furnace. My last 3 seeds popped in 24hrs or less.

I don't even soak in a cup of water. Just take paper towel fold it up place seed in the middle get moist place in a zip lock bag and throw on the furnace. My last 3 seeds popped in 24hrs or less.
I used that method (paper towel) originally and had decent success. I just didn't seem to have that consistency I was looking for. I am sure it was me. I was newer at it then so I am sure that played into it. I recall the ziplock being too wet.. So I bet I could get it that way now a days with some messing around..

Namaste

FE

Back
Top Bottom