White dust humidifier clogs the pre filter: make DIY

onizuka88

hi guys
my humidifier create white dust and now clog the pre filter...
last time it did that , i washed the pre flter in the washing machine, the pre filter it came out all worn out
looking idea for making my own would and old t-shirt would work?

hi guys
last time it did that , i washed the pre flter in the washing machine, the pre filter it came out all worn out
You can buy pre filters cheap eBay Amazon.... Pre filters should be gently hand washed and drip dried. They are made out of wool. But sounds like humidifier needs cleaned and sterilized. White powder sounds like powder mold. A humidifier should never produce anything but clean moist air.

You can buy pre filters cheap eBay Amazon.... Pre filters should be gently hand washed and drip dried. They are made out of wool. But sounds like humidifier needs cleaned and sterilized. White powder sounds like powder mold. A humidifier should never produce anything but clean moist air.

I was told by the humidifier company is my water has many minerals that creating the powder
I bought some demineralization cartridge that should solve my issue down the road

Yeah I'll look the price on Amazon but now im kinda in a tight spot I just took off the pre filter and I can't use it anymore

I was told by the humidifier company is my water has many minerals that creating the powder
I bought some demineralization cartridge that should solve my issue down the road

Yeah I'll look the price on Amazon but now im kinda in a tight spot I just took off the pre filter and I can't use it anymore
Try an old sweater. Tee shirt material will clog fast. Would suggest a good reverse osmosis filter. When you can afford one. But still would check humidifier for mold just in case. If it's mold it will get in tent sooner or later. Good luck.
IMG_20150805_145439.jpg

hi guys

You can buy "cut to length" filter material that you could wrap around it. Also sold as "washable/reusable" furnace filters. Typically blue in color, sometimes white, occasionally green. Not sure where you are but it's readily available in the states, may be able to find something similar where you are.

Yea the white dust is all the minerals left behind when the water evaporates. Use a cleaner water source to eliminate it. Cartridges will help but far from perfect. Wick or pad type humidifiers don't tend to produce that dust as badly as ultrasonics, you could change humidifier types If that's easier than controlling your water quality.

You can buy "cut to length" filter material that you could wrap around it. Also sold as "washable/reusable" furnace filters. Typically blue in color, sometimes white, occasionally green. Not sure where you are but it's readily available in the states, may be able to find something similar where you are.

Yea the white dust is all the minerals left behind when the water evaporates. Use a cleaner water source to eliminate it. Cartridges will help but far from perfect. Wick or pad type humidifiers don't tend to produce that dust as badly as ultrasonics, you could change humidifier types If that's easier than controlling your water quality.
ill check where i could find the furnace filters i like the idea of something really washable have you ever used some?

Quite frequently for air filters yes. We use them in New construction to help keep dust out of the heat exchangers. I've also used them for mobile home furnace return air grills.

The stuff isn't that washable and it's pretty cheap. I just make a new one each time. It not as fine of a screen as a prefilter is though and it doesn't work as well for air handling (furnaces) as a pleated filter does but it may work for you.

How about a disposable shopvac paper filter bag for like a 18 to 20 gal shop vac. I dont have a pic of the bag but i do have the shop vac.2019-11-30 17.28.36.jpg

Back
Top Bottom