Will 35 year old seeds sprout

Scientists mentioning my name?

I'm shocked.

I wish I was there.

When is the next hemp fest?

I have pretty much given up on ever making it to Amsterdam. (cash reasons)

I am setting my sites on Colorado, Washington and California.

Hopefully I can meet up with some fellow 420mag growers one day.

If this Colombian - I hope it's the legendary Santa Marta Gold - cracks open, let us know & make some fresh seeds if you get to it. I'll be willing to exchange whatever I have for some of these :grinjoint:

Only three times in my life have I ever had true Columbian The first was when I was 12 years old and my first trip to Canada fishing. We drove from lower Michigan all the way up to a lake called South Caribou in Ontario. We all met in the lodge for dinner at night, about 20 people around a big table. Some guy from Columbia was there and started passing a joint around. It got to my brother and he took a big hit, but when it got to me I passed because my grandpa and uncles were there so I did not take a hit until later on outside. Ooh those after dinner tokes are so indescribable. The buzz from Colombian is in a world of it's own. And then, years later, I'd say probably 100 times people said they had Colombian only two of them were actually real Colombian. But of course I never said anything because that would have been a buzzkill. The only way I can describe how I know what true Colombian is to relate this short story. When we would cross the border into Canada we would stop at a bank and go in and exchange U.S. money for Canadian. So we would take in $100 dollar bills. You could only take in and exchange so much per person so I would go in and exchange some too even at a fairly young age. The teller would look at the $100 dollar bill to see if it was fake. Being curious I asked her how she could tell by just looking at it. She said "By looking at real hundred dollar bills over and over. You get used to seeing the real article that you can spot a fake in an instant. That's how I know what real Colombian is; I started with the real deal... direct from Colombia. This would have been the summer of 1978. Oh to have some real Colombian again....:rollit::tokin:

TBobERoyale Your story is great! Not toking because of grandpa? Priceless. That is respect at it's finest. He probably wouldn't have cared but yeah I can see that in my own family back when I was a teen. The only columbian that I have had, came from Tennessee. They were building this big complex and brought in about 500 mexicans to help. Those guys turned me on to some columbian gold and I was peddling it to my friends in school. Everyone called it "the lambs hair from the angels garden". I just got back to my place with the Black Tea... It's on baby!

HashHound, they have seen your posts on here I guess. Hemp fest was amazing! I had the chance to hit a 2lb doobie but it had been passed around to quite a few people and I chose to pass instead of puff lol. Call me a germaphobe but dang. the thing was heavy man and just a little soggy on the end. The second one the bigger of the two was done better. It didn't run. I can assure you if you come we will be passing the atomic chronic around, grown by yours truly! Right now I have god bud, New york power diesel, Pineberry crunch, el dorado, white widow, Aurora, Chrystal, Ice, Jock Horror, Pure Power Plant and White Castle. I am at my limit for one person. I can't handle anymore. I am no spring chicken any more lol.!
Have a great weekend

Actually Ace Seeds has some pretty good 100% sativas and a lot of people say they're the real deal. I picked up Malawi Gold for this outdoor season, but I'll give Panama and Colombian a try next year.

Sorry, I never did give my method, Here it is: And this method is for tomato seed: you will want to adjust your method and gear it towards cannabis seed. I will post pictures. just give me a little time as I have to recreate the process as my old pictures on my computer were lost.

Take a 1 quart saucepan and fill it with water. The best water that you can get your hands on.

Then heat it up and put 2 or 3 bags of Black Tea in it. [I use Earl Grey but any off brand will work just as good as the expensive brands] Let them steep just as if you were making tea. Let tea cool to room temperature or lukewarm.

Decide what type of cups or containers you are going to use to soak your seed in and label them beforehand.

*** Always work with only one variety at a time! I cannot stress this point enough. Seed mix-ups are the main cause of confusion in growing and breeding. So if you get an off-type or a somatic mutation, and you do not know what you are looking at you may very well pass off a different variety as a true variety, or you may blow the chance to save and breed with a very, very rare mutation. So, again, if you only work with one variety at a time you can always be sure (even if you are stoned) that when you look back you can say with assurance "this is how I did this, for sure!" And by doing this you can pretty much figure out what happened that led up to your particular predicament whether it be a bee cross, a mutation, or a seed-mix up etc.

Pour tea into a small cup or whatever type of container you choose to use. I use pint Mason jars because they are clear and because I think Mason jars are cool. A couple inches would be fine but you can adjust the amount to what feels best for you. Remember, the main idea here is to soak the seed. Other factors are secondary to this. So amount of tea, say two inches or more, so you can see good seed on the bottom and bad seed on the top is not as important as the main goal. So an eighth inch of tea will work just as well as 5 inches of tea.

Let soak for determined amount of time. Anywhere from 2 to say 20 hours depending on the age of the seed from harvest year and conditions in which the seed was stored. Good seeds will sink to the bottom, bad seeds will float on top. [this may be different for cannabis seed, I just can't remember because it's been 20+ years]

When finished with soak pour into a fine-mesh strainer over the sink. Always have a clean sink and the hole plugged enough to where if you drop a seed you will not loose it down the drain. Lightly rinse with water.

Put seed directly into medium for sprouting. Have this already prepared. Moist but not too wet to prevent damping off.

Obviously this should be simplified, pictures taken and shown, and geared towards cannabis seed, so merge this with your own cannabis knowledge and rewrite the process below to make it easier for others to understand. Something like this:

1) Make tea

2) Soak seed

3) Plant seed

I'll weigh in with my 2 cents worth on this. I had some seeds which I had kept in a cardboard, petrie dish which stayed indoors in a dark place for about 25 years. Recently, I tried to germinate them and got nothing. I tried a few of them planted in dirt, some in paper towels and when nothing happened I threw about 300 of them into some soil mix and watered well for a week. Nothing. I think seeds do have a shelf life.

OlderStoner

I sort of agree, bit I will try until the last seed is gone.

My best chance is the Oaxacan's. I had pounds of those and I took about a 2 finger baggie from the middle of the big bag, where I hope they took less direct temp changes over the years.

Crap!

Try a mild solution of Miracle Grow. The blue stuff.

TBER,

I tried a light Peters which is about the same thing.....

I am going to ask Doc which of his HB ingredients might be worth a shot.
And if there is, he will give a good reason why.

Hash, have you tried gibberellic acid?

Gibberellic Acid

I have a few thousand seeds, from 10-30 years old. :cheesygrinsmiley: They'll crack, but they don't have enough oomph to grow a root.

Hash, have you tried gibberellic acid?

Gibberellic Acid

I have a few thousand seeds, from 10-30 years old. :cheesygrinsmiley: They'll crack, but they don't have enough oomph to grow a root.

GT that is something I haven't tried yet.

Just a few off the cuff suggestions. I would think that the food stores in an old seed might not be enough to sustain its growth until leaves form, I like TBobERoyale's suggesting of a light feed for the seeds while they soak. I would also think soaking would be necessary to give the seed a better chance of popping since it should reduce the energy needed to open the seed pod and start growing. What if you add rooting hormone to popped seeds, might that not give them enough of a boost to start the rooting process?

Maybe try lightly misting first with room temp aerated rain water.. Going from an almost 100% completely dried seed, I would try to hydrate slowly.. Cells maybe be rupturing with too much hydration too quickly. Mist or dunk the seeds in water and take out. Then repeat. A couple times a day, then next day try a little more. Ive never done this but nothing to lose.
A dried cigar too quickly humified will crack..

Just googled it.. Found on seed savers dot org..
..and the beans this poster is referring to is not same as the ones we do :rofl:

"For old beans, I have had good luck using a "nitrate soak" method. I first boil & then cool some water, to sterilize it. Add 1 teaspoon of a high-nitrate fertilizer (such as seaweed emulsion) per gallon of water; if you have any doubts about the sterility of the fertilizer (such as manure tea) boil it along with the water.

Then plant the beans in a sterile soil-less medium, either seed starter or plug mix. I usually use peat strips for this purpose. Place the planted pots/strips in a leak-proof plastic flat, and add enough of the solution to soak them completely. Let soak overnight, then carefully pour off any excess solution. Place the flat on a heat mat, or where the temperature will be close to 80 F. degrees. Do not cover, since the dead seeds will rot, and if enclosed, mold/mildew can spread to other pots. If any further watering is required, use plain water.

Nitrogen stimulates bean germination, so this method can be highly effective. I had some half-dead bean seed, which initially (without the nitrogen) had zero germination out of 50 seeds. When attempted again with the same seed, one year later & using the nitrate solution, the germination was better than 60%."

..and some achieved good results with it.

Pre-germinating old seeds, best method? - Seed Savers Exchange Forum

Good morning Mr. Phelps., I mean fellow rebels, What you are reading right now is a revision of the "formula" above. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to bring out that original strain of Maui Wowie, Colombian Gold... yes those seeds might be 30, 40, or even 50 years old but with the revised Black Tea method you are certain to have the best shot at germinating that old and precious seed.
To compensate between tomato seeds and marijuana seeds it has been put forth [by an unnamed ganja guru] to soak the seed 7 or 8 days [instead of 12-16 hours], and in a double-strength batch. (six bags of black tea instead of three)
So..... >>>>

1) Double-strength Black Tea batch.

2) Soak seed seven to 8 days

3) Be expectant [that seed will germinate]

Good morning Mr. Phelps., I mean fellow rebels, What you are reading right now is a revision of the "formula" above. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to bring out that original strain of Maui Wowie, Colombian Gold... yes those seeds might be 30, 40, or even 50 years old but with the revised Black Tea method you are certain to have the best shot at germinating that old and precious seed.
To compensate between tomato seeds and marijuana seeds it has been put forth [by an unnamed ganja guru] to soak the seed 7 or 8 days [instead of 12-16 hours], and in a double-strength batch. (six bags of black tea instead of three)
So..... >>>>

1) Double-strength Black Tea batch.

2) Soak seed seven to 8 days

3) Be expectant [that seed will germinate]

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds. Good luck Dan.

Back
Top Bottom