Xlr8's Magic Brownies - Step by Step - With Pictures!

Great thread! Usually when I am getting edibles it's like the cupcakes. Eat 2 of them and your good for the rest of the day! I will def keep this recipie for when I get into cooking!

Great thread! Usually when I am getting edibles it's like the cupcakes. Eat 2 of them and your good for the rest of the day! I will def keep this recipie for when I get into cooking!

:thanks: K-Frat, let me know how they turn out if you get around to trying it. :)

I always use oil blends since I'm lactose intolerant, 7 grams of killler bud makes 32 servings (16 if you are hardcore). I just use them for chronic back pain, one or 2 a day. I do need to get some soy lecithin......

Re: Xlr8's Magic Brownies - Step by Step... with Pictures!

Very nice, motivates me to take pics when I make my next batch! Do you think that adding the lecithin while cooking the butter/oil is better than just adding it to the recipe you're making?? Oddly enough my daughter asked a good question one day while I was cooking it that way, she said "Mom, if the lecithin allows fats to break down to be absorbed wouldn't it start breaking down the fats while it's cooking??" That's what I get for having a college bound microbiology major,,, she asks questions I can't answer anymore,,, I miss the good old days of "Why is my poop that color?" questions.

Seriously, why is my poop that color? I've often wondered...

Cool butter recipe, MrPeab. I would like to try making butter sometime, so I'll definitely be saving this for future reference. Thanks for sharing your process, and I'm glad you found a thing or two from my recipe that helped as well. I mean this sincerely - you should post a new thread with your recipe so it isn't hidden on page 3 of this thread. I think it deserves it's own home so more people can benefit from it who want to use butter for baking brownies. Nice job! Oh, and you got me thinking - I may use one of those mini-muffin sheets next time. Does seem like a good way to keep the dosage in check!

Excellent XL! I also thank you sir!
I was mystified about the Lecithin; never knew about that. @nd thank you!! I made my first "magic brownies" back in college (+/-1974). Of course I hadn't a clue of what I was doing, only knew the importance of Carbolizing because I read about this important FACT somewhere. Anyway, I spent a obscene amount of time trying to get the MJ ground up fine enough to be able to chew the brownies without gagging. I'd use a full oz. per batch which made, you guessed it, 16 "doses". They were horrible but lordy, they got you blasted. One time my roommate visited my home with his GF and just before they left to go back home, they each ate one and waited about 1/2 hour (I kept telling people that they took at least 1 hour and more like 2) to feel the effect. Well, nothing happened! (Impatient people usually regret things). Of course we then smoked another joint and then they left. So it's like an hour now... About 4 hours later I get a call from him. Seems that they DID get off and pulled into a McD's parking lot and proceeded to hide under a blanket for 3-4 hours in total paranoia. They had only gone about 8 miles! He was pissed and blamed me for the entire experience. Needless to say it, but I never "offered" brownies to anyone ever again. I spent many, many times trying to get that god awful hay taste to go away. Man, if I had only known about oil back then. Now I do and am gonna' make a modern batch, thanks to your expert formula and step-by-step instructions. One last funny one. I had another friend at college that would come over to our place and mooch our weed and munchies all the time; think he only bought an ounce/year! He was a bit over weight and it got to where we'd hide stuff just to save it from this guy. Once I made a batch of brownies (I was getting pretty good by then) and left them in the refrigerator while I went to play softball. This guy stopped by and "borrowed" the bong (and weed) to catch a quick buzz before coming to play ball too. Seems that he saw the brownies and helped himself to a couple (like 3). Came to the game... We noticed him off in the far end of the right field. He was sitting down and was useless because he was so stoned he didn't really know what was happening. No B.S. these are both true stories, I really mean it!
Thanks again for the turn on tips and recipe. I make hash out of my trim/shake but am eagerly going try this out next cleaning session (soon) because I am always looking for new adventures. My wife (who doesn't like my brownies) will surely like these. Thank you for helping me be rid of those tiny pieces of herb that get stuck between my teeth!!!

Thought it was cool to hear the different dosages people are using to medicate. Myself this is what I'm using: 3oz of good bud / 5 cups of mixed oil each batch of cookies/brownies has one cup of oil. 1cup/16.8g 1.4g per cookie i eat 3-4 cookies everyday. Anyone who has never eaten should start with 1/4 to 1/2 a cookie. Once i get back into the swing of things I'll be bumping that up to qp per 5cup batch...cause me needs it!:peace:

Can baking like this method make my canabutter better?

Hi SpaceGhost -

I've never made cannabutter (I've always done the oil so far), but, de-carbing and adding soy lecithin steps should help maximize your potency, yes. Hope that helps. :)

Hey! Xl-ent recipe! I shall now have to post my Canna-butter! I just wanted to point out though that if you chose not to dacarb your flowers before adding to the oil, it really should be tended for about 5-6 hours for full potency, and it will be just as strong, if not stronger, but make absolutely sure that the heat is on its lowest possible setting, so as not to go over 215* F. once it gets much over that all THC will be lost, as it vaporizes at about 260*-300*.

Hey! Xl-ent recipe! I shall now have to post my Canna-butter! I just wanted to point out though that if you chose not to dacarb your flowers before adding to the oil, it really should be tended for about 5-6 hours for full potency, and it will be just as strong, if not stronger, but make absolutely sure that the heat is on its lowest possible setting, so as not to go over 215* F. once it gets much over that all THC will be lost, as it vaporizes at about 260*-300*.

:thanks: Jandre!

I agree on the temps being important - I use a candy thermometer to continuously monitor the temps. I used to heat the oil for several hours like you mention, but decarbing is pretty quick and easy... It makes the recipe extremely potent without needing to tend to it for 5-6 hours. Good point though, I'm sure that would help maximize the potency/infusion process too. :thumb:

Also, if your material is really, truly dry already - it's pretty well decarbed. It decarbs over time on it's own as it dries. Wouldn't be necessary to decarb before heating in oil.

Ironically and interestingly - and contrary to popular belief I think, you could eat the raw cannabis and get "high" when it's fully dry/decarbed, too. No brownies necessary, but... GROSS!

(Jandre, I know you know all this, merely expounding for others reading this too. This is the kind of stuff it took me a long time to figure out... and a lot of wading through B.S.)

:thanks: Jandre!

I agree on the temps being important - I use a candy thermometer to continuously monitor the temps. I used to heat the oil for several hours like you mention, but decarbing is pretty quick and easy... It makes the recipe extremely potent without needing to tend to it for 5-6 hours. Good point though, I'm sure that would help maximize the potency/infusion process too. :thumb:

Also, if your material is really, truly dry already - it's pretty well decarbed. It decarbs over time on it's own as it dries. Wouldn't be necessary to decarb before heating in oil.

Ironically and interestingly - and contrary to popular belief I think, you could eat the raw cannabis and get "high" when it's fully dry/decarbed, too. No brownies necessary, but... GROSS!

(Jandre, I know you know all this, merely expounding for others reading this too. This is the kind of stuff it took me a long time to figure out... and a lot of wading through B.S.)

Oh, the only reason, I say that long, is to make sure all the resins and good medicinal stuff is extracted from the plant material as much as it can be. it's not just the triches that we're worried about here, it's also the stuff inside we're after.

Hey guys Xlr8.... jandre2k3

I make my canabutter in a crock pot (set it and forget it on low) and it works well. I Didn't realize that I was decarbing it as I was slow cooking.

Anyways I just tried this method with a little oil I had in the house and the crock-pot on low. I can't wait to try it, never new making oils could be so easy.

Any1 else use a crock-pot for oils or butter? Is there anything wrong doing it this way? Can you cook it to long?

I will report back when I can use it as I blew out my stove and dryer the other night swapping shit around in my breaker box to accommodate my new grow rooms.
:peace:

All i ever use is a cock pot, I guess you could cook it for too long. The main thing is to not go over 200F.

Some days i wake up get my batch altogether then cook it all day from say 10-11 am to 8-9pm. (butter or oil)

Hey guys Xlr8.... jandre2k3

I make my canabutter in a crock pot (set it and forget it on low) and it works well. I Didn't realize that I was decarbing it as I was slow cooking.

Anyways I just tried this method with a little oil I had in the house and the crock-pot on low. I can't wait to try it, never new making oils could be so easy.

Any1 else use a crock-pot for oils or butter? Is there anything wrong doing it this way? Can you cook it to long?

I will report back when I can use it as I blew out my stove and dryer the other night swapping shit around in my breaker box to accommodate my new grow rooms.
:peace:

All i ever use is a cock pot, I guess you could cook it for too long. The main thing is to not go over 200F.

Some days i wake up get my batch altogether then cook it all day from say 10-11 am to 8-9pm. (butter or oil)

it is possible to heat the essential oils of cannabis for too long. They will start to oxidize and break down. Really, if your crock pot doesn't get above 220, you're set for up to 24 hours of extraction into butter, and it almost takes that long for it to dissolve well into butter. 18-24 hours at 220, BUT do not go over 24 hours because it will begin to oxidize very rapidly after that. Keep the butter in the freezer after it's done, and separated form the water used in the cooking.

I use a solvent transfer from Green/Gold Dragon to my butter as I need it for a recipe. It allows me make my cookies and brownies to the potency I want without any weed taste or smell.;).

I use a solvent transfer from Green/Gold Dragon to my butter as I need it for a recipe. It allows me make my cookies and brownies to the potency I want without any weed taste or smell.;).

Interesting! Thanks for weighing in with that. I've never done solvents - so I'm clueless there, but I always appreciate different ideas and ways to do something. Cool idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom