Xlr8's Magic Brownies - Step by Step - With Pictures!

Alrighty, this recipe is the real deal for sure.
Last night, I cut into 4 servings. Ate one and was totally baked, it was unbearable that I couldn't play my game lol.

So yes, you can use bud. Follow directions as said here and it will be phenomenal. I only used 6.3 grams of some good.
Thanks again man for the awesome instructions and recipe.

How do you rate your thread man?

Hi Melty -

The grey bar above the first post on this page, on the right side, has a drop down that says, "rate this thread". It should give you an option to choose between 1-5 stars. Thanks for the excellent feedback! :thanks:

Hey X,

Does it have to be trim from harvest, or can you use leaves from defoliation too?

Of course it's going to be less potent. Couldn't I just keep reusing the oil with new batches of plant material? ie bake and boil several batches of leaf, but cook it in the same oil to increase strength. Seems like this is an extraction process, so I would just need to use more of the lower concentration material, right?

Just curious if you've ever tried trim that wasn't from a harvest. I started drying some and will give it a try. I just won't get my hopes up. :)

Hey X,

Does it have to be trim from harvest, or can you use leaves from defoliation too?

Of course it's going to be less potent. Couldn't I just keep reusing the oil with new batches of plant material? ie bake and boil several batches of leaf, but cook it in the same oil to increase strength. Seems like this is an extraction process, so I would just need to use more of the lower concentration material, right?

Just curious if you've ever tried trim that wasn't from a harvest. I started drying some and will give it a try. I just won't get my hopes up. :)

Hi Hiker -

Hmm... I think you're right - it should work, assuming there are a fair number of trichomes on the fan leaves, but it might take more material like you mentioned. I have had sone strains with really 'frosty' fan leaves, and I put these in with the rest of the trim leaves occasionally.

Yes, the object is to extract the trichomes from the leaves, so the fans will need trichomes on them - maybe from a 45 day pluck, for example...

If you do it - let me know how it goes! :goodluck:

So we're ONLY harvesting the trichomes? Aren't there cannibanoids(sp) inside the plant too? I know the trichomes are basically pure THC/CBD, but I thought the rest of the plant still had some also.

Maybe this process won't work to extract it from the plant material. The leaf I have is not frosty. It's just from a defoliation during veg growth. hmmm now I'm not sure I want to put in the time to test this. Maybe I'll just wait until I have real trim, but I was planning to make bubble hash out of that. ;)

Well here's something I can share since you're interested in both hash and brownies.

I always make bubble hash with my buds/trim before using them for cooking. Obviously it decreases potency of baked goods, but they still come out dank.

For example, I had 2oz fluffy bud that I didn't like smoking. I ran it through the bubbles and got me 4-4.5g of hash heaven, then I made 2 full trays of brownies with that same herb (after it dried to a crisp 4-5 days). Both the hash and the brownies came out excellent so don't be afraid to do that :thumb:

I always thought bubble bags extract most the oil, but they really don't. I was very surprised by how potent the brownies were.

So we're ONLY harvesting the trichomes? Aren't there cannibanoids(sp) inside the plant too? I know the trichomes are basically pure THC/CBD, but I thought the rest of the plant still had some also.

Maybe this process won't work to extract it from the plant material. The leaf I have is not frosty. It's just from a defoliation during veg growth. hmmm now I'm not sure I want to put in the time to test this. Maybe I'll just wait until I have real trim, but I was planning to make bubble hash out of that. ;)

Hiker, it's a really good question, and one I don't really know the answer to for sure. As far as I know, you would get very little if anything from fan leaves without trichomes. But, again - I'm really not sure... It's just something I haven't tried, and a little research around the internet seems to leave me with more questions than answers in this regard. Wish I could give you a better answer here!

A lot of people will separate their "grades" of hash, and user the lower grade material for edibles - the stuff that is "greener" looking (contains more leafy material).

hmmmmm good info

I think I will just have to continue with the planned experiment. I better track down some lecithin. This leaf is getting pretty dry! I wonder if a health food store would have it? I live in a small town, so I might have to order it.

I will come back and share my results.

Thanks you two! :)

Hi XLr8.GREAT POST!! Thank you. New here.New to cooking.New to doing anything with it except toking in my younger years.Now fighting Stage 3 Colon Cancer and using RSO. Just had blood work and MRI and all looks good. Next test in April.Now is time for me to get savvy with edibles.I've read and re-read this thread through and through and also a couple of embedded links but still need clarification. If you can help it would be deeply appreciated. I want to follow your recipe, but what I have to work with is a big bag of everything except main buds from 4 or 5 White Lightning in my freezer. There is leaf,stems,stalks etc. Got it from a grower guy for free after doing some "business" with him:) No drying.No curing. The product that came from these plants is great and tonight I gave the pipe a rest and I'm sane enough to try and move things forward.:) Now my question.How would I proceed to break out a few ounces of this frozen mass and experiment with your recipe.Can I process it wet as it is? If not-would grabbing enough of the frozen mix to make a batch via your recipe, covering with oven bag and drying in oven before processing do the job?I just have too much to spread it all out at one time to dry.I was thinking of spreading it all out on my pool table cover and pick through it but it would take a long time and it would still need to refreeze the rest AND stink out the neighborhood :)So-being as I want to experiment with various edible recipes I want to protect the integrity of the raw material as much as possible and just process smaller amount of it while keeping the remainder frozen. I would still try drying smaller amts if that is what you would recommend.I did a small batch with coconut oil a couple of days ago but it smelled like burnt nut shells?? BUT-my wife has severe arthritis so I rubbed copious amount on her feet and hands, wrapped via surgical gloves amd socks over plastic bags and within 30 min she was waving her hand in my face grinning--NO PAIN??So in spite of my inexperience etc it seems it worked ok. Not sure I want to cook with it? Cheers eh:)[
Hi shbi73 --

One of the nice things about the way I do this recipe, is that the flavor isn't bad at all if you do it right. If you keep the green material and plant material out of the brownies, and filter it so it's just a dark oil without leafy material in it, the flavor of cannabis is very complementary to the brownies. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the brownies I typically make taste excellent. I like the flavor better than plain brownies!

In the past, I've had poorly made "magic" brownies, too, and they taste terrible. But, a lot of people don't strain out the plant material well, and it can really be gross having bits and pieces of weed in brownies. All you need is to infuse the trichomes into the oil correctly, and the flavor is very palatable IMO. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback on the flavor as well as the effectiveness of the brownies I make.

No milk required (but perhaps desired!). ;)

Thank you for taking the time to check out my thread - let me know if you ever give it a try! :)

Hi XLr8.GREAT POST!! Thankyou. New here.New to cooking.New to doing anything with it except toking in my younger years.Now fighting Stage 3 Colon Cancer and using RSO. Just had blood work and MRI and all looks good. Next test in April.Now is time for me to get savvy with edibles.I've read and re-read this thread through and through and also a couple of embedded links but still need clarification. If you can help it would be deeply appreciated. I want to follow your recipe, but what I have to work with is a big bag of everything except main buds from 4 or 5 White Lightning in my freezer. There is leaf,stems,stalks etc. Got it from a grower guy for free after doing some "business" with him No drying.No curing. The product that came from these plants is great and tonight I gave the pipe a rest and I'm sane enough to try and move things forward.Now my question.How would I proceed to break out a few ounces of this frozen mass and experiment with your recipe.Can I process it wet as it is? If not-would grabbing enough of the frozen mix to make a batch via your recipe, covering with oven bag and drying in oven before processing do the job?I just have too much to spread it all out at one time to dry.I was thinking of spreading it all out on my pool table cover and pick through it but it would take a long time and it would still need to refreeze the rest AND stink out the neighborhood So-being as I want to experiment with various edible recipes I want to protect the integrity of the raw material as much as possible and just process smaller amount of it while keeping the remainder frozen. I would still try drying smaller amts if that is what you would recommend.I did a small batch with coconut oil a couple of days ago but it smelled like burnt nut shells?? BUT-my wife has severe arthritis so I rubbed copious amount on her feet and hands, wrapped via surgical gloves amd socks over plastic bags and within 30 min she was waving her hand in my face grinning--NO PAIN??So in spite of my inexperience etc it seems it worked ok. Not sure I want to cook with it? Cheers eh[

Hi Antichemoguy!

First, I'm really sorry to hear you are having to kick cancers ass. It's a tough fight, I've seen it all too close amongst my family and friends. Keep your spirits up and don't let it get an upper-hand, k?

I've not tried what you want to do, but, if it were me - I'd take it out and let it get to room temp (avoid dew point this way ideally). Then, I'd slowly dry it in the oven. Getting it dry should help it work it's best, as it becomes decarboxylated ("decarbed") which also activates the thc. Each step has a role in maximizing effectiveness - drying thoroughly helps assure max thc activation.

Technically, you could eat it raw when dried thoroughly and get medicated (gross!). Sticky, moist bud or plant material couldn't get you medicated by eating it raw, as it hasn't had the requisite drying/decarbing.

Now, the infusion process would probably still work without it being fully dry, but I doubt it'd work as well... After you dry it, grind it up good too (maybe dry mostly, grind, then finish drying/decarbing?). The oven bag helps keep the thc from escaping partially as you warm it, and you want to not let it heat over the suggested temp in the recipe. Yes, it does smell like burnt nuts a bit sometimes during preparation - sometimes a pretty pungent process.

Please let me know if I didn't answer something or overlooked a question, etc.

Cool that your test batch worked well as an ointment! :goodjob:

Thanks for the speedy reply.What I did after reading your reply was haul the big bag out to the pool table and grabbed a few hand fulls and put the big bag back in the freezer. So , after sorting that, I have about 4 oz of green leaf,small buds and stems. The bigger sticks and root I isolated for future experiments.
So if I read you right I would dry this but not necessarily 'bone dry".Then grind fine .Then oven bag dry/decarb. Is that correct.Guess I was a bit paranoid because of all the material i have cuz this looks to be relatively simple. I like that. Thank you. Cheers:)

OK I've completed my first experiment. I didn't follow this process exactly though. I did the decarbing in the oven bag, but I cooked it in water and oil, then put it in the fridge to separate the oil (I used coconut oil so it solidifies at room temp). I didn't find Soy Lecithin yet (small town) either. I had ~4 oz of dry powdered leaves, and used a little more than a cup (not entirely sure honestly) of oil. I let it simmer on real low heat for at least 2 hours. After straining out the plant material, I put the liquid into the fridge. The next morning, the coconut oil was solidified on top of the water. I drained off the water and kept the coconut oil.

I melted ~1/4-1/2c of the oil for the brownies. The box only asked for 1 tbspn of oil, but I was concerned about potency, so I put more in. I made the regular Duncan Hines brownie mix. I split the batter into two bread pans. I ended up with 2 brownies about 4"x8"x1". I ate an entire one yesterday. I have to say, I think I felt it pretty good, but there were extenuating circumstances. I had been working in the garden so late the night before, I decided to pull an all nighter rather than try to sleep 2 hours and get up for work. Obviously I was feeling that as well, but the big sign the brownies must have been working is I didn't smoke anything all day! I didn't need to!

I don't have a lot of experience with edibles, so that's why I can't really give a definitive answer. I do think the vegetative defol leaves have THC. I'll have a better reference after I try cooking with some trim leaves. I promised to share the results of my testing, so this is what I know so far. I am planning to eat the other brownie today and see what happens. :)

I was sleep deprived though. I was up for about 36 hours straight, and didn't start eating brownies until well after the 28 hour mark. I had hit the bong all night while I worked in the garden too (does pot keep everyone awake like it does me? lol). I was a little spacey without the brownies. I did eat a couple small pieces of the remaining brownies, and there is no question I feel something. :)

It may not be that intense, but I didn't eat too much. I have to get some work done today too :winkyface:

I do think I answered the question about whether or not veg leaf works. It does, but it might be a lower strength. Again, my lack of edible experience makes it hard to be sure. The next test will be to add the soy lecithin. Unfortunately, I won't have this much veg leaf for awhile.

Here is a pic of what I put in the brownies. I estimate this batch of brownies has about 1/3 of the oil that was produced. If I remember, I'll take a picture of the oil and post it.
IMG_1421_-_no_EXIF.jpg

I ate a little bit of the second brownie, and I definitely felt it. there were 2 smallish pieces that had broke off, so I nibbled on them for about an hour. I had to stop eating them as I realized it was impairing my ability to work on coding ;)

veg leaves definitely work. I just have no reference for strength yet. I've still not smoked at all today, so I'm planning to each the rest of the brownie when I stop working for the day. :yummy:

Update: I ate the other brownie (other half the box) over the span of about an hour and a half. It definitely made me stoned, but in a different way than smoking. I didn't smoke at all yesterday, and didn't feel any need to. I think I've proven that vegetative defoliation leaves CAN be used, but the potency is probably lower. I don't have anything to compare to, but I suspect if I had used harvest trim, it would have been much better. I'll try this again next time I have veg leaf. Perhaps there is a way I can concentrate it some. I'll be sure to share anymore experiments. I still have about 2/3 of the oil I made as well. I'll see what else I can make with it. I've never been a big fan of brownies (I don't care for chocolate flavored things, but I like real chocolate), so I'm going to look into a recipe that uses a lot of oil.

Update: I ate the other brownie (other half the box) over the span of about an hour and a half. It definitely made me stoned, but in a different way than smoking. I didn't smoke at all yesterday, and didn't feel any need to. I think I've proven that vegetative defoliation leaves CAN be used, but the potency is probably lower. I don't have anything to compare to, but I suspect if I had used harvest trim, it would have been much better. I'll try this again next time I have veg leaf. Perhaps there is a way I can concentrate it some. I'll be sure to share anymore experiments. I still have about 2/3 of the oil I made as well. I'll see what else I can make with it. I've never been a big fan of brownies (I don't care for chocolate flavored things, but I like real chocolate), so I'm going to look into a recipe that uses a lot of oil.

Great feedback on your trim leaves - that's awesome to know! :high-five:

A couple of tips for walking outside the brownies box... Look for things you can bake at lower temps. I try not to go above about 325, all though I've still had potent things at 350f, so it's not a total absolute. Snickerdoodle cookies are something I've done, and they're really good (I've shared with people who also really liked them). The flavors seem to be complimentary. The recipe I used called for both butter and shortening I believe, but what I did was combined butter and my oil that had a fair amount of coconut oil in it. Because of the coconut oil content in mine, my oil was pretty thick, almost but not quite like shortening consistency. I baked them at 350f.

This isn't exactly the recipe I used, but I did find a recipe for them that uses oil - I'll probably try this at some point. Do a go0gle search for "Incredibly easy Snickerdoodle cookies recipe". This recipe uses oil instead of butter, and suggests to bake at 350f. It might be just the ticket if you want to try this route with Snickerdoodles.

I've also used leftover oil in salad dressings!

The biggest thing is avoiding really high temperatures that might vaporize out any THC from the oil. 350f or less, preferably 325f or less. Other than that, the sky is the limit as far as how you may use it. :goodluck:

I think if you're unsure then they didn't hit. I did mine with sugar leaves and pop corn nugs and I couldn't be more sure - about 90 mins in.

I know exactly what you mean by "I couldn't be more sure". ;)

The effects of edibles done right are very heavy hitting (usually in a good way if you don't over-do it) and leave little doubt as to whether they work. I've been "too medicated" a couple of times before I learned to take it slow to start out. I had to figure out from scratch just how much material to put in these things, which took trial and error, lol. One of the batches I made was way too strong, and a single brownie was too much. Honestly, it was a very bad "trip". I was glad to get it dialed in a bit, as it's no fun being too medicated!

Back
Top Bottom